To Warm

Dom

Been itching to go hunting but I think this weather is way to warm.Guess I will try my luck this week walking the local creek's/streams for some crawfish Goodluck and good hunting to you that are hunting this week

Edited by Dom

I'm kind of wondering if heat will be a problem with the upcoming bow season October 1st. And the bugs this year......crazy! I just love the thought of trying to hold my sight-pin still with the sweat trickling down my back and a few mosquitos whining in my ears and slamming into my eyes.....lol.

I'm kind of wondering if heat will be a problem with the upcoming bow season October 1st. And the bugs this year......crazy! I just love the thought of trying to hold my sight-pin still with the sweat trickling down my back and a few mosquitos whining in my ears and slamming into my eyes.....lol.

Coming up with alot of excuses there, sir. LOL.

• Like 1

Coming up with alot of excuses there, sir. LOL.

Nope. Just anticipating some hunting problems that I get hints of every time I go out to practice. This is about the worst year for mosquitos that I have ever experienced. I am hoping that I have a secret weapon ..... thermacell.

• Like 2

simple... if you don't like the heat.. stay home... just because the season starts Oct 1st doesn't mean you have to start then... myself, I'd rather be enjoying a warm day in October in the woods hunting than almost anything else... the extra two weeks in early Oct. means more time to hunt... worse case scenario if bugs are bad is bringing my flyrod and switch midday to fishing..lol

I do recall one exceptionally hot day years ago in mid-October, when even the light camo tee-shirt had to come off. Fortunately, the bugs had already taken a hit by some frosts. It all just seemed weird and not a whole lot like hunting either. There was nothing moving in that heat.

However, given the kind of weather patterns that we have been getting, perhaps an early paralyzing blizzard is more of a threat this year .... lol.

One thing I have found out on my practice range is that it is impossible for me to get off a good bow shot with mosquitos buzzing in my ears or bouncing off my eyeballs. It all just totally destroys my concentration. I tend to rush the shot. And I will almost always flinch at the shot, trying to get it done so I can start waving my arms like a pair of construction flags to keep those mosquitos from landing and doing their work.

• Like 1

I wear a camo ball cap that has a camo net attached to it.  It keeps the bugs off my face and out of my ears.  It doesn't negatively affect my shooting at all.  I also wear my camo spring turkey hunting gloves that are made out of a thin linen like material, to keep bugs off my hands.  I tend to avoid any bug repellent when deer hunting due to the smell.

Covering up all exposed skin with light weight clothing is the best way to avoid the bugs while hunting when it's warm.  If you ever go spring bear hunting in Canada, you learn how to be an expert at this stuff. ;)

It's not the heat that bothers me it's with hunting in warm temps like we have had in my area what I kill may no good for consumtion/spoiled.I would hate to take an animal and not be able to eat it,recovery this time of the season is has to be quick or we risk wasting our hunt.

I don't even want to think about it. This polar vortex everybody keeps talking about better get here soon.

The temp. dropped 10 degrees from what is was all day and it was not that warm today, deer just came out of the heavy stuff to feed,7:00 PM. And they are eating at  6:00 Am in the morning then bedding down for the day. Looks like a sunrise / sunset deal so far.

It's not the heat that bothers me it's with hunting in warm temps like we have had in my area what I kill may no good for consumtion/spoiled.I would hate to take an animal and not be able to eat it,recovery this time of the season is has to be quick or we risk wasting our hunt.

That's always a concern of mine in the warm weather as well