Stand hunting after a snowfall : risky or no big deal?

Northcountryman

Up here in the Catskills , been snowing for almost past 2 days. When I go in the morning , should I not climb into my stand ? To me , it’s kinda risky cuz the snow and ice reduce traction and increase the potential for a nasty fall; what do you think ? I’m thinking if maybe staying on the ground and bringing my portable blind and / or doin a little still hunting ; what do you think? 

21 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

Up here in the Catskills , been snowing for almost past 2 days. When I go in the morning , should I not climb into my stand ? To me , it’s kinda risky cuz the snow and ice reduce traction and increase the potential for a nasty fall; what do you think ? I’m thinking if maybe staying on the ground and bringing my portable blind and / or doin a little still hunting ; what do you think? 

Do you not hookup on the way up or down your stand? If not, then regardless of snow, you are needlessly risking your life.

• Like 1

First always use a harness not a belt. I hook up on the ground then when I get up in the stand I hook on to a fall restraint that is supposed to lower me to the ground if I fall. I have gone to all ladder stands, since my first knee replacement easier to get in and out of. 

What I would recommend if you still use hang ons is remove the gut hooks and go to climbing sticks wherever possible a lot safer.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2022 at 3:56 AM, Larry said:

First always use a harness not a belt. I hook up on the ground then when I get up in the stand I hook on to a fall restraint that is supposed to lower me to the ground if I fall. I have gone to all ladder stands, since my first knee replacement easier to get in and out of. 

What I would recommend if you still use hang ons is remove the gut hooks and go to climbing sticks wherever possible a lot safer.

And if u use a hang on , replace the cables with chains