Live From the Stand / Woods 2014!

burmjohn

I'm done with gun season. The new neighbors who share a portion of our tract of woods have turned out to be a bunch of hillbillies who have shot the woods up to hell. I am getting zero bucks on camera now since gun opened.No decent sized tracks in the snow either which is highly unusual for my spot. I have a feeling they killed all the younger bucks I passed on.Time will tell. I may need to find a new spot for next year if they have wiped out the local population. Sounds like they had 5 or 6 guys in a 1 man parcel on opening day. It was never this bad before.

If this keeps up I will be joining the Brown and Down Brigade next year. No point in passing on deer that the next guy is going to unload on.

I am starting to hate gun season.

I've hated gun season ever since I took up bow. Way to much brown it's down and trigger happy idiots. I only gun hunt on a 1300 acre private parcel that I'm in a lease on.
  • Like 2

Beautiful weather with a light southwest wind and a light dusting of snow on the ground. So still, one could hear a pin drop from a fair distance away.. A lot of movement in the thickets and woods area before dawn, then all went  quiet by seeing light. Some nice doe and company were in the corn field at legal light but a few hundred  yards away. They moved into the woods very quickly when another orange figure came into view. Turned out to be the neighbor coming down to chew the fat, and wished a happy Thanksgiving.  Had a nice little talk and did some notes comparison. He never even saw the deer, LOL.

Heard my first rooster pheasant of the year crowing this morning. Something unheard of in recent years. He's still in season here. Hope he lays low.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Papists/Jesse James,

You guys are spot on.  I too have disliked gun for past 5 years.  I have literally hunted 10 hours with the gun over the last 3 years.  It just doesn't do it for me.  Let's be realistic, most bow hunters and especially members of this site are AFICIANADO of the sport and the whitetail itself.  It's our passion from owning property, to scouting, to tree stand setup, to food plots, to managing herds etc, etc. 

I know and am good friends with many gun hunters who talk a lot of hype.  And that's just what it is, its a lot of hype.  These guys hunt a 2-3 hours one morning shoot a deer and think they've accomplished something.  It's a joke, very laughable.

I myself do not hunt as hard as some of you.  You guys and gals are dedicated and I love it..!  This year I have 120 hours on stand during archery, I took a doe and saw very little afterward.  That was my season and I loved it.  That's the enjoyment of the sport. This gun cannot achieve this in my opinion. 

This was not intended to irritate any gun hunters. 

• Like 1

pffff bow hunting,i literally tackle ONLY mature bucks and punch them to death

and don't get me started on guys who use knives to field dress,god gave you teeth and hands for a reason,USE THEM

everyone just takes the easy way these days,damn kids

• Like 1

I am almost at the point of being embarrassed. The majority of gun hunters I have encountered this year are absolute slugs. Get the rifle out of the closet and wander around without orange on. Do drives on land they have never set foot on while other hunters are in there. I actually saw a guy in brown carharts come meandering through a thicket this year. Evidently his name was chris because I heard some jackass yelling "chris" about twenty minutes before. I could go on and on, if I was using my computer instead of my phone I would. Stay safe out there.

Edited by BUCKANDAQUARTER
  • Like 1

I know the feeling but don't give up on gun season ! Mine was also a bit slow , but deer my last 3 sits, young bucks and doe though .

So tue I added another doe to the freezer. Now with neighboring corn finally cut and less guys out I'm waiting for a decent buck to move in our cover .

i am also discussing attitude,someone mentioned how killing a deer with a gun isn't an accomplishment...it's just a silly mindset,considering just how much modern equipment bow hunters use to their advantage

i find that certain "tools" tend to make some hunters lose touch with reality and becoming insufferably pompous.

Edited by hrvat

i am also discussing attitude,someone mentioned how killing a deer with a gun isn't an accomplishment...it's just a silly mindset,considering just how much modern equipment bow hunters use to their advantage

i find that certain "tools" tend to make some hunters lose touch with reality and becoming insufferably pompous.

Even with modern bow equipment you still have to get in close range. If you can't agree that taking a deer with a rifle is considerably easier than taking one with a bow than there is no point in talking to you further. However the avg mindset of a bow hunter is not the same as a gun hunting only mindset. Again I said avg. There are bad eggs on both sides of the fence.

I used to have that other mentality myself. I transformed after changing over almost exclusively to bow.

Edited by jesse.james
  • Like 1

shit,i do it with a bow just about every year,i put almost zero time in the woods pre-season(besides target practice) and am successful 95 percent of the time,am i any better than the gun hunter that does the same,just because it's marginally more difficult with a bow?

obviously,if you're only interested in harvesting mature bucks it's going to be considerably harder and take lots of work regardless,but that's not what you guys are talking about

Edited by hrvat

Hell at this point it's way harder to kill a deer with a gun than a bow , not due to implement but the fact that those of us who hunt public land have tom , dick, hArry, n anyone else u forgot to mention trompin all over the place , talkin to each other like there in the dam coffee shop, n I consider my season over after opening day of gun ....

• Like 2

Quick update- number one was shot last Sunday by a buddy. Trailing a doe, he shot the doe then the buck 3 min apart. Sightings have dropped significantly at the stand but still seeing some young guys running around during daylight. I haven't been able to connect this year and is starting to feel like tag soup will be on the table. I did a walk and stalk today. For every set of deer tracks I saw there was a set of coyote tracks trailing with a few leaping deer tracks. Hope everyone has a great thanksgiving and gets to fill some tags this weekend. post-1756-14171181614716_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

This morning was so quiet you could hear a woodpecker fart at 200 yards. Instead, I heard one neighbor come in and climb into another neighbor's ladder stand. That got sorted out. I started thinking that the tracks I saw on the buck trail were only moments old when I walked in. I figured he would be coming back out at about 11:00. (Based on pervious trail cam evidence) so I decided to go in, get the pies in the oven, and get back out by 10:15)

I was late. When I walked back in at 11:15 there were tracks headed back along the same route, other direction. I'm glad I didn't give up. I've been busting my butt to get something for the freezer. So when that four point appeared on the trail headed for a tiny window of opportunity I was thrilled and determined. Dropped in his tracks at 60 yards with the 12 gauge my mother gave me just before she passed away last spring. HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

• Like 14