ANYONE GET ANY BEARS YET?

AaronBlaine

Just kicked up a bear walking up a ridge line, saw me before I saw him. That was close, no chance for a shot, he was going like sea biscuit as he ran away.

This next weekend for early bear I'm going to push myself to go higher into the peaks. A guy that's been hunting there for years told me the deer follow the ridgelines, it makes sense ... the highest point gives you the greatest distance form people and the advantage in a chase or confrontation. Thanks for the inspiration ...

I was out at Pochuck Mountain State Forest until the thunder rolled in on Saturday.  Saw 1 other hunter in full camo, but the parking area was full - 8 vehicles. Heard no shots, and saw no drag marks when I left.

The ditch in the center was just soft mud and the stream was down to a few puddles.  Only saw a couple small deer tracks, no bear sign in the areas I went though.  Last year the squirrels were every where.  It was two hours before I saw any squirrels - only saw 4 of them for the 6-7 hours I was out there.

The bear that had been going through the neighborhood around trash night seems to have disappeared too.

Hey guys just a reminder you can't shoot a sow with cubs or a group of bears. I say this because one year I was ready to pull the trigger on a pretty decent bear. It came in alone and was by me for 5 minutes until 2 cubs showed up from the tall grass. Just be careful and make sure no cubs are trailing. 

• Like 4

First-light - good advice.

If you see a sow........you might not always see the cubs right away.

You should make sure that its isn't lactating / nursing. if you ever had a dog that had puppies, you'll know what to look for.

I've been on many maine guided trips and usually 1 or more nursing sows are shot each week. Pissing the guides off. The hunter might have gotten a nice bear, but he also left a few cubs to starve to death

Edited by mmkay
  • Like 1

I called my brother, tell him I seen 3 bear. He says, I'm not working Thursday, mind if I hunt your spot?...it's state land, so i can't say no ( I wouldn't have). he sees same sow but it actually had 3 cubs. watches them for 30 minutes, until 300 pound boar comes in and scares the 3 cubs and mother away.

444 comes to life and bear hits the ground. it was a 3/4 mile in but near a good trail, he throws it in a wheel barrol and has it out of the woods and hanging in 2hrs.

brothers suck!...he left my stand in the woods, so tomorrow I get to drive 1 hr to retrieve stand and look over a place that will have to wait until next year

Oh well, there a 400lb bear on a mountain in Dutchess. big yellow tag (#32) in his ear....#32 watch out, i'm coming for you!!!

• Like 1

I was at the range yesterday and a guy said his brother got a bear. He said he was at the edge of a swamp and saw a small one, let them go and then took out the larger one. To me, I would draw the conclusion that they're either cubs from the same litter or a cub and a sow. I didn't want to start giving him a hard time but from what I understand bears rarely hang together unless they're part of a family unit. I hear they get very territorial, I probably would have passed on that shot. The picture looked like quite a small bear. Not judging but ...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By defrazzle
      Hi: I live in the Adirondacks in the village of Bloomingdale, located in Essex County.  I have been hunting for over 40 years, am  a very active 65, married since 1972, retired from the Air Force and love to hunt.  I am a certified New York State Hunter Educator and would like to meet a similar experienced hunter with whom I can partner with.  

Usually you don't see this type of topic, but, hey, it does not mean it will not work.  Just maybe there is someone out there with a similar need.  Here are some of my preferences:  I prefer tracking deer, but on occasion will sit early and late in the day. If you followed Larry Benoit and his sons, that is how I like to hunt.  I really enjoy the hunt, the shot is secondary.  I like hunting small game as rabbits, grouse, and pheasant.  I used to have a Brittany that was an excellent dog, but now I have no dogs.  I respect all game laws and will hunt all day in areas far off the beaten path.  Shooting a deer is not the most important result in my hunts, the enjoyment and quality of the hunt is what matters to me.  Why am I looking for a partner?  Going alone can be dangerous especially if you get hurt or need help. Then there is always the work after getting a deer.  Two people make the job so much easier. I would prefer someone that has a similar past history and lives no more than a 60 mile radius from me.  If most of my preferences interest you, send me a message.  Thanks for reading and if you have any questions, just send them.  You never know.
    • By AaronBlaine
      http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2014/09/25/dnt-780-pound-bear-killed.wluk&hpt=hp_c4&from_homepage=yes&video_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F

yea that's a big black bear! lol Now imagine being in the woods in early season with a bow and arrow.  Heavy brush surrounding you while you are miles up and around a mountain in a huge park that is infamous for bear hunting.  All the sudden the woods start to turn on you as a six sense kicks in and the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.  You feel a shiver of sorts run through your body as you suddenly realize the feeling is that your being watched.  At that moment everything you have learned in life becomes useless as you are faced with a new threat.  A threat you openly engaged and planned for.  You have entered the bears home now this is no longer your back yard and no cell phone service to call for help due to the iron deposits in the mountains!  Its at that point you test yourself on weather to move forward trusting yourself and your gear and the time and effort you put in to training with it.  Or you turn around and head back.  First time I came across fresh bear shit It scared the hell out of me.  Then when I found three piles of it right next to each other I decided to set up a tree stand lol  I hope to god that I get to harvest one in my lifetime.  To bag a 750+ pound black bear is an instant lifetime award and a place in the record books.  Taking one ethically is enough to have you shaking in fear before the shot.  Looks like he was using a slug gun or shotgun with a slug in it.  Enough to do the job at close range.  Remember black bears charge but rarely attack.  Shooting one through the scope of a high caliber rifle let alone a bow at 35mph is no easy task!  But survive and you have personally pitted yourself amongst the men who hunt and kill the apex predator..THE BEAR!!   I would have him stuffed standing on two feet and put him next to a rocking chair in my living room.  As the years go by we would share many stories as I would routinely have coffee in the morning and a glass of skotch in the evening time together.  As I grew older I hope to die next to such an amazing animal in that old chair next to that old bear lol lolololol  GET SOME!
    • By AaronBlaine
      Hey guys I am going on my first bear hunt in 3A next weekend to wrap up the early season.  I was wondering if you guys had any tips for a newbie bear hunter!  I am hunting with a weatherby vanguard series 2 in 30-06 with a Winchester ballistic silver tip 150g round.  I picked up a screech call and my friend I am hunting with is bringing vanilla caramel extract in the legal limit allowed.  We are hunting a lake surrounded by 3000ft peaks and I am planning on hunting the peaks for the most part.  Any advice you guys have would be greatly appreciated.  There are a ton of streams that run down into the lake so we were thinking of following them up the mountain.  Thanks for taking the time I will update the post with any pics if we bag one!
    • By AaronBlaine
      Hey guys i was wondering if anyone knew of any good state parks that allow bear hunting for the early season.  I am interested in the catskill region as well as orange county etc.  Thanks i appreciate it!
    • By Jerry Russell
      Russell Outdoor Guides offers awesome wilderness hunts for giant black bear just North of Montreal. While we are a drive in camp, it is a fantastic wilderness adventure inside of the massive Mastigouche Wilderness Reserve. We are the only bear outfitter allowed to operate inside this 975 square mile reserve and with only 32 tags available, we have GIANT black bear.
      Our all-inclusive fully guided package price of $2,650 covers everything from:
      Meals
      On-site transportation
      Comfortable cabin based lodging
      Multiple hot bear baits
      Tracking, skinning, trophy care
      Tag and license included!
      Please check us out on the web at: www.russelloutdoorguides.com and please let me know if I can answer any questions.
      Jerry
      Email: [email protected]