Time is closing in … tonight , tomorrow and sunday

luberhill

1/2 before sun up is none too early...less likely to spook them going in...new day, ya never know. They could have been just the other side of the camera all morning.  Be still ,hunt the wind, leave the electronics behind. It will be warm, so movement will most likely be in cooler temps. 

• Like 1

Got one tonight !

sitting in my treestand , my camera goes off at my ground blind 300 yards away..

Small buck, 10 minutes later he’s in front of me, pulled the hammer back he heard the click and looked right at me !

We had a stare down for a few minutes, he turned his head and I let it rip.

Direct heart shot , ran 20 yards and piled up !

he used to be a 6 point but had some busted tines 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, luberhill said:

Got one tonight !

sitting in my treestand , my camera goes off at my ground blind 300 yards away..

Small buck, 10 minutes later he’s in front of me, pulled the hammer back he heard the click and looked right at me !

We had a stare down for a few minutes, he turned his head and I let it rip.

Direct heart shot , ran 20 yards and piled up !

he used to be a 6 point but had some busted tines 

Congrats, i will be doing the buzzer beater on sunday evening.

• Like 2

I always say my best season is when I get to enjoy being out and hunt all season long and get a deer the last week end. My worst season...filling my tag the first day. Thank goodness for my early ML season where I hunt so I can potentially get meat and still have a tag for the end of the season.

• Like 1

It was a tough year for me.  Only saw bucks that didn't meet the antler restriction here and a few doe came up from behind me and spooked when they got too close.  I put in a lot of time in the woods too.

Finally tagged a small doe yesterday at 4PM with the T/C Hawken .45 caliber at 4 PM.  At least I have some venison now to make the grandkids happy.

Edited by Grouse
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, luberhill said:

I will say that .50 cal CVA Wolf did the job , the buck was quartering away facing me.

I put the crosshairs just left of his left front leg aiming for behind the right front leg .

It blew his heart apart , he ran but only 20 yards at most and the blood trail was huge 

E2FF27EA-1D75-4D98-82DE-2452A4BE652A.jpeg

06B9376F-03D9-4D6C-8118-960B94F5E135.jpeg

F1BEBD65-5AFD-4A1A-814F-4234947BB629.jpeg

Talking about blood trails.....that Doe I shot the other day was hit in the neck. It got the jugular for sure. Ran 30 yards and left a spraying blood trail. Where the deer died looked like a brutal crime scene. Worst I have ever seen. Snow completely covered in a circle around the deer. I wound't even post the picture its that bad! lol

58 minutes ago, First-light said:

Talking about blood trails.....that Doe I shot the other day was hit in the neck. It got the jugular for sure. Ran 30 yards and left a spraying blood trail. Where the deer died looked like a brutal crime scene. Worst I have ever seen. Snow completely covered in a circle around the deer. I wound't even post the picture its that bad! lol

I left a scene like that one time, on a corner lot, over in the next town.  No hunting is allowed over there, and it was grossly overpopulated with deer.  These days, the coyotes and a well-regulated bait and shoot program keep deer numbers in check over there.  

I slit the jugular on a big doe with a knife, after she had been struck by a car, knocking herself out temporarily.  She came too when I tried to cut off her tail (for making bass jigs).  I then jumped on her back, and had her in a hammer lock with my left hand, as I cut with the pocket knife in my right.  

She made it into the center of the guy’s front yard, bucked me off, and spun around spraying blood just like a rotary crop-sprinkler.  I still wonder what the guy must have thought, when he saw that bloody scene on the snow the next morning.  

The town cop, who was working the desk that night, wasn’t very happy when I walked into the station splattered with blood.  The resident had called it in earlier, when it was laying next to his mail box.  

He asked me: “did it have to be shot”.  I replied: “no, I killed it with my knife”.  He said: “that would be NO”, and wrote up my carcass tag.  There was not so much as a bruise on the body of that deer, according to the butcher who cut it up for my buddy.  

I had already harvested several deer that season, so I really only wanted the tail and the heart.  No sense in wasting a fresh kill though, so I gave it to my buddy who now owns the service station, up on the next corner.  

Edited by wolc123
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Daveboone said:

I always say my best season is when I get to enjoy being out and hunt all season long and get a deer the last week end. My worst season...filling my tag the first day. Thank goodness for my early ML season where I hunt so I can potentially get meat and still have a tag for the end of the season.

Well I got a decent buck with my crossbow ( first deer with the crossbow)

Then this one with the ML, again first one with the muzzleloader …

Two years ago I didn’t have the ML or the crossbow , it was the last day of gun, 3pm , I wasn’t even going to go , walked behind my barn headed to my blind and shot a big fat doe !

0515FE9F-69C0-4AAF-AD57-63D5F9997CAC.jpeg

• Like 2