Contemplating a hand cannon for deer hunting

Any suggestions ?

Have shot my nephews 454 Casull before, wasn't completely enjoyable. 

44 mag going to be about the same teeth jarring experience?

357 has always seemed to be a popular round by most from what I've heard.

Optics? Red dot ? Scope ?

I've done a fair amount of pistol shooting and would just like to give this a whirl. No wheel guns in the safe yet either. 

Thanks in advance for any input. 

Depends on what you want. Single shot, revolver, semi? How far you plan to shoot?

In a revolver, I would go with a 44 mag, which you could shoot 44 special out of, or load the .44 mag down a little if you are concerned about recoil. I used to use 200 gr bullets which recoiled a little less and still did a fantastic job on whitetails. Or a .45 Long Colt. Very manageable recoil and does a great job. Not a big fan of a .357 for deer. 

In a single shot like a T/C, the choices are many, 308,7-08, 35 rem, among many.

I used to hunt exclusively with handguns years ago.

• Like 3

Since you don't reload I would look at the reduced recoil loads on the market for the rifle calibers. An encore with a 12-15" barrel, scoped is very very capable in the 100 yard + range. Manages recoil in the calibers Philoshop mentioned would be comfortable to shoot. I haven't had anyone that shot mine (in reduced 308) complain about the recoil. My daughter shoots mine.

I have shot Culver's 308 Encore, and its a pussycat. I used to have a 260 Remington chambered Encore, which was pretty easy to shoot with factory loads. The furthest I took a whitetail with it was at 200 yards on a decent sized doe with a 140gr. Dropped her in her tracks. Closest deer I took with it was 20 yards, same result.

This is my Encore in 308

post-152-0-41628800-1410198715_thumb.jpg

100 yard target.  would have been very nice if I hadn't thrown the one low.

post-152-0-65473400-1410198826_thumb.jpg

Has to be a good fit and feel comfortable with it with any firearm. Also, especially with a pistol, you have to be able to shoot it a lot for practice. \

Good luck. I also carry a 357 during gun season but not as my primary. It is very good out to about 30 yards (open sites) but I feel it would be undergunned to do anything other than finish a deer. IMO

I got my.pistol permit last year I haven't taken a Deer with it yet but I bought a ruger super redhawk in.44 mag it was my first pistol so everyone tried to talk me out of the44 but this thing barely has any kick.to it is very well balanced the trigger is phenomenal in single and double action.  The down side 44 ammo runs close to $1 a shot

I got my.pistol permit last year I haven't taken a Deer with it yet but I bought a ruger super redhawk in.44 mag it was my first pistol so everyone tried to talk me out of the44 but this thing barely has any kick.to it is very well balanced the trigger is phenomenal in single and double action.  The down side 44 ammo runs close to $1 a shot

My buddy has the same gun. Think I'll ask to shoot it a bit. See how I like it and go from there. Leaning towards this one if i like it. 

$1 a shot isn't much more than shooting .22 rimfire these days  :rolleyes:

• Like 3

The 454 wouldn't be bad you can shoot 45long colts out of it. The 44mag wouldn't be bad less recoil then a 454 still more then good enough for deer and black bear.
I shoot a 44mag s&w 629dx 83/8. Seeing I don't have to shoot it or pay for it I would go with a 460 s&w with a 8in ported barrel then you can shoot 260swmags 454's and 45 long colts. :scared: 

Edited by Larry

stand. I've had zero success in the past stalking. I play the wind and super slow and quiet. It's gotta be my cologne ,lol 

so curious question #2. Why limit yourself with a pistol? just to switch it up? i've always believed every firearm has it's purpose so i never understood the pistol hunting from a stand. again, just curious.

so curious question #2. Why limit yourself with a pistol? just to switch it up? i've always believed every firearm has it's purpose so i never understood the pistol hunting from a stand. again, just curious.

Should have been more clear. Pistol will be secondary gun. A lot of the deer i've shot from stand have been in that 30-50 yard range. Toting my ML as first (during shotgun season )

I got my.pistol permit last year I haven't taken a Deer with it yet but I bought a ruger super redhawk in.44 mag it was my first pistol so everyone tried to talk me out of the44 but this thing barely has any kick.to it is very well balanced the trigger is phenomenal in single and double action. The down side 44 ammo runs close to $1 a shot

i would be careful of properbullet selection, i have seen pistol bullets come apart and leave no exit wound. stay away from hollowpoints unless bonded.

Isn't always limiting yourself. The pistol I have is more accurate that most shotguns I have shot. Last year I took a coyote out of my stand at 165 yards. Not limiting

• Like 1

My 460 will hold a 2" group at 100 yards with me shooting factory ammo (and I am not good with a pistol) I am sure somebody that was good at shooting pistols could close that group up quite a bit.  I have taken it hunting as a secondary gun a few times but never shot anything with it.  As far as recoil my 460 rocks back a lot as in you feel it in your wrists but its really not that bad to shoot.  I shot a 500 and that pushes straight back and it actually a lot more mellow to shoot.  In my opinion most people that talk about how bad the big pistols kick have never actually shot them. 

It all comes down to what you want, what your hunting, and how you hunt. I,ve had a hand gun permit for over 20 years. I have owned many diferent guns auto loaders, single shots, and revolvers. I hunt mostly deer and don't often sit for long periods. I found that a scope and or a heavier gun is no good for me if i'm walking and need to shoot off hand. The only hand gun I take with me now is a s&w 686 6 shot .357. Sitting I have no problem dropping a deer a 100 yrds. Off hand I'm good to 50 yrds and they usually drop in there tracks if you hit them where your supposed to.