Contemplating a hand cannon for deer hunting

Should have been more clear. Pistol will be secondary gun. A lot of the deer i've shot from stand have been in that 30-50 yard range. Toting my ML as first (during shotgun season )

gotcha. Does anyone know if it's illegal to carry a pistol during MZ? I know you mentioned shotgun, but it got me thinking... for a finishing kill?

It all comes down to what you want, what your hunting, and how you hunt. I,ve had a hand gun permit for over 20 years. I have owned many diferent guns auto loaders, single shots, and revolvers. I hunt mostly deer and don't often sit for long periods. I found that a scope and or a heavier gun is no good for me if i'm walking and need to shoot off hand. The only hand gun I take with me now is a s&w 686 6 shot .357. Sitting I have no problem dropping a deer a 100 yrds. Off hand I'm good to 50 yrds and they usually drop in there tracks if you hit them where your supposed to.

what loads are you using for 100 yards?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been successful hunting with my .357 Mag using 158 gr. SJSP. But I've never attempted a shot out past 30 yds when using it.

In the past I had really good results with a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 Mag. With 240 gr SJSP's Out to 60 yds. I've been kicking myself for 20 years for letting that Ruger go!

I just picked up a new 7.5" Super Blackhawk Hunter in late September and am hoping the Amendment comes back in time for me to use it this Hunting Season.

I've been able to pick up a few boxes of 180's and 240 gr SJSP's. I'm going to use the 180's to practice with, but I think I'll sight in for real and hunt with the 240's.

I'm looking at the s&w 500. Might be an early Christmas present this year.

You ever shoot a 500 ? Go to Gander Mtn or any gun shop and look at all the traded in ones. That thing is far from being fun to shoot. Too many thought they could tame this beast.  Overkill IMO  And look for the video of the guy who had his thumb near the cylinder when he touched off a round. Gasses melted the tip of his thumb off. Dumb arse !

• 1 month later...

.357 is certainly capable of taking deer but ammo selection is critical. I would pick a heavy for caliber bullet, ideally a hardcast to maximize penetration. I think a .44 magnum would be a better choice. The recoil is stout but should be significantly less than a .454. You could also split the difference and get a .41 mag, but the only downside is finding ammo as it is no where near as common as .357 or .44. Also you don't have the option of shooting lighter "special" ammo like .38 special and .44 special

I have a Ruger Super redhawk with a Leuopold 2x scope on it.

The full power 454 loads are a handful, but too much for deer.

Winchester makes a lighter 250 gr deer load, very comfortable to shoot.

Also, my gun is marked 454/45 colt. and any 45 colt from full bore Cor-Bon's to very light cowboy action loads work well.

Generally practice with the 45 LC cowboy action loads and go to the 454 win 250 for deer.

• Like 1