Best primers to use for 777 pellets

luberhill

Of all the components needed for firing ammunition out of firearms I have come to feel that the brand of primers, percussion and musket caps are the least significant in the big picture, the manufacturers seem to have these particular component's production down pat and their reliability for me is flawless. I have probably used everything out there at one time or another and cannot begin to count how many shots I have fired out of handguns, rifles, shotguns and muzzleloaders, what stands out is I have had a primer fail only one time ever and I believe the cause was a light hammer strike.

For shotguns and muzzleloaders I have used all the shotshell primer brands you have shown and have had satisfactory and reliable results with  all, recently been mostly using the regular Winchesters in my sidelock converted to shotshell primers firing 777, but the CCIs and the 777 Winchesters worked as well but no better.

Like suburbanfarmer mentioned above, hit the range and try them all.

Al

• Like 3

When searching for the best accuracy out of my muzzleloaders it for me has always been the type of projectile and it's weight and matching it to the barrel twist that made my biggest gains for accuracy followed by powder charge.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, airedale said:

When searching for the best accuracy out of my muzzleloaders it for me has always been the type of projectile and it's weight and matching it to the barrel twist that made my biggest gains for accuracy followed by powder charge.

Al

Yea agree, I’ve tried all 3 primers I have , don’t notice much diff

Just wondered about fouling diff, again I don’t see much diff

Everyone says the CCIs are hotter , not sure if hotter is better 

5 hours ago, luberhill said:

Hotter is always better :P

What I have read so far is that fouling is more of an issue when not all the powder ignites..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, luberhill said:

Agree, I get the crud ring in my T/C Omega (with 777 pellets) no matter what.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Untwisted Pretzel logic said:

Didn't you have a successful test (dead ML deer) on December 31st?  Stick with what you know works/don't fix what ain't broke.

December 30th

Trouble is I don’t remember what primer I was using :)

Im sure any of the three would be fine.

Im just bored now the season is over

• Haha 1

The triple 7 primers were designed especially for use with ....777. That said, see what works. Regardless of what primers, I found though that I never got complete ignition of three pellets when shooting them. I would find them lying onthe ground smoking. Two pellets no problem, but much better accuracy, ignition and economy shooting powder. 

On 1/6/2023 at 1:53 PM, Daveboone said:

The triple 7 primers were designed especially for use with ....777. That said, see what works. Regardless of what primers, I found though that I never got complete ignition of three pellets when shooting them. I would find them lying onthe ground smoking. Two pellets no problem, but much better accuracy, ignition and economy shooting powder. 

Do u crush the pellets ?