Calling Hares

Love it when I learn something new, I once heard that it is possible at times to call a Hare or Rabbit out of cover and expose itself well enough to get a shot. Well good old youtube has provided some evidence this may be true as there are a couple of videos showing it being done. I at one time had a few SnowShoe Hare out in the woods in back of my place and I think I have a couple of mouth calls in my arsenal that can duplicate what I hear in the videos and may give it a try, if nothing else there will be a good chance a Fox or Coyote may respond.:good:

Al

Edited by airedale

Hares seem to sit extremely tight . More so than cottontails.

I was hunting hare a month ago in tug hill area and one jumped up between me and the dog . Another hare I spied under a log not 10 feet from me . Fresh snow on the ground. I couldn't get a shot on the first;  The second I let the dog chase but he lost the track over a hill as temps were rising.

I have a raspy rabbit call that also attracts fox .

Next trip there I'm trying it .One dog and one hunter is tough .

• Like 1

23 hours ago, airedale said:

Love it when I learn something new, I once heard that it is possible at times to call a Hare or Rabbit out of cover and expose itself well enough to get a shot. Well good old youtube has provided some evidence this may be true as there are a couple of videos showing it being done. I at one time had a few SnowShoe Hare out in the woods in back of my place and I think I have a couple of mouth calls in my arsenal that can duplicate what I hear in the videos and may give it a try, if nothing else there will be a good chance a Fox or Coyote may respond.:good:

Al

Well, it did just call my Westie from the other room. She came running, jumped up on the couch, and watched the video with me. 

At the end I half expected to see Wile E coyote and his Acme hare call! lol

10 hours ago, Gunner said:

Next trip there I'm trying it .One dog and one hunter is tough .

If these calling techniques actually work with some consistency it would be a useful tool for hunting Hare and Rabbits. It would be helpful for Snowshoe Hare especially on bare ground. This time of year they have changed to their white coats and one would think hunting them on bare ground they would stick out like a sore thumb and be easy pickings. If they were out in the open they would stick out like a sore thumb, the problem is when the ground is bare they seem to know that fact they are vulnerable and hold up out of sight under tight cover. Laying up like that they give off little to no scent making it hard for the dogs to get a strike and a race started. I have seen dogs literally run over a laid up Hare without a clue it was there but as soon as they raise up off the ground the dogs smell scent immediately and it is off to the races.

If calling just works good enough for them to expose themselves for a second so they can be flushed for the dogs it would be great in itself.

Give it a try Gunner and see if you have any success, good luck.

Al