Bought new Crossfire crossbow scope ?

luberhill

Don’t use them.  Get a tree umbrella and use that to keep the rain off your scope after you get to your spot.  Your crossbow is too front heavy for accurate offhand shots anyhow, so I wouldn’t  be concerned at what happens on your walk to and from your spots when it’s raining.  

That said, I’d consider putting covers on the illuminated dot sight on my Barnett Recruit because that handles as well as my Ruger 10/22 so a close range offhand shot would be no issue.  

3 hours ago, DirtTime said:

You plan to shoot at running game, in the dark, with a crossbow?

I prefer the flip up lens covers, and they are far less of a pain in the ass to flip open than pulling the bungee corded covers off.

Uhhh no I don’t , guess u missed my point . Let’s say I’m walking into my stand , or out to my truck or whatever in DAYLIGHT 

And I jump a deer . I’ve jumped them many times and they run 20 yards and stop and look at me !

My point is , even with the flip up caps they just seem to be a PITA to have to deal with and more trouble than they are worth .

And leaving them flipped up walking in or out in the DAYLIGHT :) seems like just one more thing to catch on brush etc.

Hope this makes my question more clear .

Now at least the bungie ones can be see through.

I just don’t see the need for them. I understand they help protect the glass but I’ve never had the glass get damaged without them .

Again just asking a question

Thx

Edited by luberhill

19 minutes ago, suburbanfarmer said:

They have a purpose during snow/rain when you have it hanging on a tree, very silent to flip open when you are ready to shoot.

If you are concerned with jump shooting, when you load the xbow just flip caps open for your walk in. Its not that complicated.

Again …… that’s great but it seems like they would catch on brush etc …

My point is they really seem more of a burden than anything 

1 hour ago, luberhill said:

Again …… that’s great but it seems like they would catch on brush etc …

My point is they really seem more of a burden than anything 

If the scope caps would catch on brush, than IMHO its too thick to take a shot at deer.

Mail them to me if you dont want/like them ;) 

Edited by suburbanfarmer

3 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Its not that complicated.

Ohhhhh I think it’s much more complicated for some than others.   

Put your thumb on a table and whack it with a book, it’ll be less painful in the long run when viewing some posts.  

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Ohhhhh I think it’s much more complicated for some than others.   

Put your thumb on a table and whack it with a book, it’ll be less painful in the long run when viewing some posts.  

Hey who let u out of your cage 

Feel free to pass any post by instead of making idiotic comments .

:) 

Edited by luberhill

I have pretty ditched conventional scope lens caps in favor of the neoprene scope covers, they not only keep the glass clean but also offer protection for the whole scope body. They go on and off in a flash and come in different sizes and colors-patterns, they can be bought for a moderate price.

Al

2023-01-13_182510.png

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, airedale said:

I have pretty ditched conventional scope lens caps in favor of the neoprene scope covers, they not only keep the glass clean but also offer protection for the whole scope body. They go on and off in a flash and come in different sizes and colors-patterns, they can be bought for a moderate price.

Al

2023-01-13_182510.png

Yea this new scope came with both , im ditching the caps and using the soft cover when I’m not hunting 

Millions of Butler Creek flip up lens caps have been sold over the last 40 (?) years and most people seem to be ok with them, myself and probably many ex and current members here.   

Oh I’m sure there’s a few that have lost one or two or they plain wear out (both have happened to me) but no big deal you buy another.    They are priceless on those snowy/rainy days.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On my crossbow, I have a butler creek flip cap on the front of my scope, not in the back.  I have the front one on to keep debris out when pulling it up into my stand, as well as if it's raining and I have it hanging from the holder facing upwards.

If it's not raining, after I get it up into the stand, I immediately flip it up, so I don't have to deal with it.  I never have the back cover on my crossbow scope.  That's how I do it.  How anyone else likes to do it is their choice based on what works for them.

Use what you like - like what you use.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Untwisted Pretzel logic said:

On my crossbow, I have a butler creek flip cap on the front of my scope, not in the back.  I have the front one on to keep debris out when pulling it up into my stand, as well as if it's raining and I have it hanging from the holder facing upwards.

If it's not raining, after I get it up into the stand, I immediately flip it up, so I don't have to deal with it.  I never have the back cover on my crossbow scope.  That's how I do it.  How anyone else likes to do it is their choice based on what works for them.

Use what you like - like what you use.

Exactly. They are pretty much useless for most days but 1 is plenty for most situations. Don’t use them at all personally but like you said one for the front while hanging on real bad days might help. 

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

Well I did a Good Deed Today ( Old Boy Scout here ) … I spoke to a buddy of mine from my Military Days recently and he told me he may not be hunting this year ! The VA told him roughly 18 months ago that he needs both shoulders replaced . Well he kept putting it off and getting Cortizone Shots . Finally they said “ No more shots “ and will be scheduling him for the operation this November . When he told me that I mentioned the Un Modified Crossbow Permit (he never heard about it) and at his next VA appointment he had the Un Modified Form to be signed by his Doctor and he Emailed it on a Friday and had the Permit in his Email Monday morning . He used to use a Climber but went to Wally World and bought a Ladder Stand – 18 Ft. - and today my son and I met him in my woods and put up the Stand ! So for all those naysayers out there (NY Bow Hunters) saying that the Un Modified Crossbow Permit will be abused stick this one where the sun don’t shine ! Now his “Bow” season starts Sunday October 1st !

IMG_20230930_115512441.jpg

Edited by GreeneHunter
  • Like 4