Ethics question

Chef

• I can't even remember how many times I've called about a road killed/wounded deer and most of the time they take my word for it and let me take it. Other times they will show up and give a tag for it. Plus, I almost always call the sheriff

Coyotes gotta eat!

I'd have called the DEC and kept right on eating my corn flakes in hopes of it stumbling into some soft-hearted anti hunters yard. Maybe they would see that protecting bambi from the savage hunters just allows for overpopulation. Are they so dense that they ignore the fact that more deer roaming around is gonna lead to more dead, dying and mangled deer laying all over the place?

Call DEC or even a local LEO & he/she will give you a tag & put the animal out of it's misery.  Dispatch the animal yourself & butcher it & you are leaving lots of room for question - could come back and bite you having un-tagged meat in your possession plus evidence of a deer being butchered around the house.  Simple math - CALL!

I have to wonder exactly what you would do with the hide, head, and leftovers of the carcass. It would be pretty embarrassing if an ECO came knocking on the front door asking about the fresh ribcage that some neighborhood dog dragged out onto your driveway ..... lol.

What happens is simple. Call the local PD.. They come down, shoot the animal 7 times before hitting a vital organ. Then call their friend to come get the deer. You stand there meatless, knowing the animal didn't suffer, and followed the law.

I have never heard once of a sheriff, trooper or ENCON not allowing the driver or if he/she didn't want the deer any person present

to take a road kill for the meat.  They are always more than happy to give you a tag for it or in some cases (as what happened

last year on my road) a family member hit a doe and killed it, the sheriff didn't have any tags so he gave me an accident report

number on the back of his business card, told me to have anyone concerned call him & he's take care of it. You are also helping

out by removing the carcass from the road/ roadside for them. Time is money and the time the highway depts. take to dispose of

road kills adds up. The smartest thing to do is call them & stay legal. It IS illegal to possess a deer carcass without a tag regardless

of how you look at it.

LOL!!!  That was funny Oblivitar!  :sarcastichand:

Ethically he did the right thing, but next time call the DEC because he is now a "poacher" in the eyes of the law.  Until he finishes the meat...

PS: Get rid of the evidence quick! 

If I put a half of a deer in the freezer with what is left from last season, how is anyone going to tell what is what? I know there could be some sort of DN test but short of that?

Follow up question.  What is everyone's definition of ethics.  Not a Websters definition but in your own words.  

Good question. To me ethics as we normally use the word is a personal judgment within a personal code of right and wrong, not to be confused with legality or societal codes. I know that there are organizations (medical, legal, other professions, etc.)  that establish a code of ethics to rule behavior of members of their group. That makes the word take on a different aspect for them and may not always agree with their own personal code of ethics. But for me, the word is more of the self-guidance end of the definition. That means that my definition allows for what is ethically correct for one may not to be necessarily ethically correct for another.

It would be interesting to see how the dictionary version stacks up against my own version ..... lol.

If I put a half of a deer in the freezer with what is left from last season, how is anyone going to tell what is what? I know there could be some sort of DN test but short of that?

True, I wouldn't be so worried about that as much as the physical evidence left behind from butchering a deer, if the wrong person saw it & called the man in the big hat & then you have explaining to do, he can tell a deer was butchered & it's a long way from last hunting season & if you can't show him proof that it was a road kill.......... I guess it's depending on the mood of the game warden. He may write you a ticket anyway & say "tell your story to the judge". I'm certain it wouldn't be the first time he's heard "it was a road kill" If they didn't enforce that lots of people would take advantage of that. They put these laws into effect to curb the violators, just like how after this season we are done using left over tags in the northern zone during the early bow in Sept, I imagine many people were getting deer in the 2 weeks after Oct 1 but reporting them on last years tag. They are "eliminating the loopholes" so to speak. NYS is more liberal now in giving out deer tags than ever before, Remember when doe permits were "group permits"?

Even with the high number of tags one can legally obtain every season there will always be people trying to beat the system.

Cheers!