Trail cam theft

genesee_mohican

I've had this Browning trail camera setup in the same spot on state land with no issues for over a year. When I pulled the card on Dec 14th I had video of someone walking by both ways giving it a good look.  Due to surgery and family holiday plans I didn't get back there until Jan 1st. I'd have to guess that someone returned with cutting tools and has stolen my camera. Pretty sad that we share the woods with criminals. I'd take this to the DEC if his backtag number showed clearly. 

IMG_3650.jpg

IMG_3700.jpg

IMG_3708.jpg

• Sad 3

4 hours ago, First-light said:

Sad. The seasonal road sign just past my house was stolen Sunday evening. Why would someone want that!

Who knows?  Scrap metal, garage ornament, the challenge, boredom,  just because, etc.

Years ago my wife and I were driving through a bad neighborhood.  On top of the McDonald's was a giant blow up chicken to promote the chicken sandwich.  I turned to my wife and said they are going to steal that chicken.  She looked at me and replied why would anyone take that, what would they do with it?  I told her just because it's there.  Sure enough, the following week the local news was reporting that someone had stolen the chicken.  

These types of people view anything on public land as public property for the taking.

• Like 2

The picture shows a cut cable lock . They aren't easy to cut . I have one on a few trail cams . If you don't unlock on once in a while , the lock corrodes . I had one of my cameras needing a card swap . The key broke off in the cable lock . In order to salvage the camera , I had to cut the cable . I was able to do it with a hack saw but not with my bolt cutters . If anyone wants to steal a trail camera out of a lock box or anything else , there's a way to do it . 

I guess I will have to take fourseasons advice and put my cameras up higher to be out of line of sight. But I really prefer the ground level shots, the pictures and video are way better. I also don't look forward to carrying sections of hanging muddy tree ladder sections 2 miles into the woods just to swap batteries and cards each time, not to mention the danger in being up on them. 

I think I'll still use the lockbox up higher, so getting the downward angle will be difficult. I'll give it a shot in this spot because it's a cool location and I get a lot of turkeys, coyotes and other critters there. I really liked that older Browning camera, I think it was 2016, a very reliable unit.  I ended up buying a used one on ebay for 60 bucks to replace it and hope to get it out there later this week.

1 hour ago, genesee_mohican said:

I guess I will have to take fourseasons advice and put my cameras up higher to be out of line of sight. But I really prefer the ground level shots, the pictures and video are way better. I also don't look forward to carrying sections of hanging muddy tree ladder sections 2 miles into the woods just to swap batteries and cards each time, not to mention the danger in being up on them. 

I think I'll still use the lockbox up higher, so getting the downward angle will be difficult. I'll give it a shot in this spot because it's a cool location and I get a lot of turkeys, coyotes and other critters there. I really liked that older Browning camera, I think it was 2016, a very reliable unit.  I ended up buying a used one on ebay for 60 bucks to replace it and hope to get it out there later this week.

Next option I use on the park anyways is using those cheap $24 dollar Tasco cameras. Sucks that people steal stuff but no shocking in today’s world. At least they won’t get much stealing the Tasco’s