Best Rain Gear?

nybuckboy

Of all my outdoor gear I have found rain gear to be the least satisfying, I have tried at one time or another just about everything and the bottom line is it all is about compromise.

Heavy duty stuff is just that heavy and clammy, I have a heavy duty parka I purchased from the nite light company, It has held up the best of anything I have tried. It is one tough coat, I have worn it coonhunting in downpours and through some pretty knarly stuff and it still does not have any holes in it. Chasing hounds through the woods at night makes for a clammy interior, don't know what is worse, being soaked for sweat or being soaked from rain.

Tried the nylon stuff and rubber suits, under hard use they get shredded pretty easy, the goretex stuff is an expensive joke.

These days I just go with a packable Frogg Togg outfit and replace it when worn, works good as anything for me.

Al

• Like 1

I have a set of Frog Toggs camo now but have not used it to any extent. I know they make great motorcycle rain gear. I'm doing an IL bow hunt in early November and plan to sit all day and want to be prepared. I'll also pack the tree umbrella. :elf:

Will be following this thread. I used to have some Grundens stuff for when out on a boat. Dry, but uncomfortable and stiff. No breathing. goes over your foot gear, which is usually deck boots or Lacrosse rubber boots so the water does not run in like a river. Now I usually use some Frogg Toggs. 

My frog toggs from stream fishing are not very  waterproof anymore. 

I have a military ESWCS Parka that is waterproof, but is heavy and stiff. Mine is Generation 2, the newer stuff if you can find it may be lighter and more flexible.

Most of the time, I use a Cabelas Space Rain (with 4MOST DRY-PLUS fake Goretex). Works well in terms of rain repellency and breathing, but is somewhat flimsy and I am afraid of using it in the brush for fear of ripping it. 

Hoping to upgrade to something better this year, like a KIUI, First Light, or Sitka. The price tags scare me. But buy once, cry once.

As long as there is not too much wind, the tree umbrella works ok for me.  I’ve now managed to kill (2) deer from under it, when it was falling pretty good.  I wouldn’t have believed that was possible before that, because the rain makes so much noise hitting it (sounds like a snare drum). 

202F6371-6F1E-4C02-BF11-8D1FD4633A05.thumb.jpeg.0ea40d146edf87157fd5da03a0272de7.jpeg

I also use an old 10x gor-Tex jacket on occasion, if walking in the rain can’t be avoided.  

On 1/24/2023 at 9:04 AM, Farflung said:

Will be following this thread. I used to have some Grundens stuff for when out on a boat. Dry, but uncomfortable and stiff. No breathing. goes over your foot gear, which is usually deck boots or Lacrosse rubber boots so the water does not run in like a river. Now I usually use some Frogg Toggs. 

My frog toggs from stream fishing are not very  waterproof anymore. 

I have a military ESWCS Parka that is waterproof, but is heavy and stiff. Mine is Generation 2, the newer stuff if you can find it may be lighter and more flexible.

Most of the time, I use a Cabelas Space Rain (with 4MOST DRY-PLUS fake Goretex). Works well in terms of rain repellency and breathing, but is somewhat flimsy and I am afraid of using it in the brush for fear of ripping it. 

Hoping to upgrade to something better this year, like a KIUI, First Light, or Sitka. The price tags scare me. But buy once, cry once.

I love all my Sitka gear and considered their rain gear but the reviews are not good thus the reason I'm looking into options.