Ruger's Other 77 Rifle

Back in the late 70s and early 80s arms manufacturers started paying attention to their rimfire lines coming out with full sized higher end rifles. Remington had their 541S, Kimber came out with a whole slew of nicely made rimfires and Ruger jumped into the fray with their 77/ line.

The Ruger's design lent itself to be chambered in not only rimfires but also centerfires like 22 Hornet, 357 mag and 44 mag. The look and lines of the new Ruger were similar to their centerfire 77s, classic walnut stock, hand checkered, blued steel for starters. I took the bait and acquired one in 22 Hornet, 22 Mag and 17 HMR, I used these rifles for varmint hunting and they have proven their worth.

They did have a couple of negatives for me, the trigger was on the heavy side and their two piece bolt design could have a little slop causing less than stellar accuracy. Now when it comes to accuracy these Rugers have all that is needed for hunting but I get a little off the deep end and am always trying to squeeze the best performance I can out of all my firearms.

Aftermarket triggers and sears made the weight of pull and easy fix thanks to Volquartsen and Dayton Traister. If the bolt needs  tightening it is solved by installing trigger-bolt shims. Those little improvements can make for some tack driving groups. I have gone through all three of my 77s and they print their bullets where aimed.

Well looks to me that Ruger is phasing these high end 77s out, too much good stuff going into them makes for high prices that most will not pay.

Below is my stainless maggie with an 8X Leupold mounted, she will do under an inch all day long, the other rifle is the standard sporter in 17 HMR, great fur rifle.

Al

2023-01-26_075639.png

2022-12-02_155227.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

I also have an M77/22 mag with the battleship grey finish and laminated stock.  It has a newer Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 on it. I have taken 2 bobcat with it and a number of porkies and coons.  It shoots where it is aimed and has not been modified.  It's on the heavy side, but it was meant to be a target rifle, so that's understandable.  I use it when the Rem .223 seems excessive.

• Like 2

"Rimfire Central" has quite a bit of info the the two piece bolt Ruger 77 trigger-bolt shims and the theory behind them. and of course good old youtube has videos from the vendor showing the installation. I got a measurable accuracy improvement on all three of my rifles, nothing huge but the shims did help and like I said above I am always squeezing everything I can get out of my firearms and just like screwing around with my stuff.

Al

2023-01-26_073215.png

Have a model 77 in .270 There was a safety notice put out by Ruger about 25 years ago regarding the trigger and safety. Took it to a gunsmith near Sodus, I think his name was Don? . He did the safety modification and adjusted the trigger. 

It's very accurate. The only thing that I don't like about it is the safety. It needs to be off when loading and unloading. Definitely need to pay attention and keep finger away from the trigger when doing this.