Is Hunting Season over ?

fasteddie

Starting to feel more normal physically after a bout with Covid (even with three shots) so I took a walk with my electronic caller to see what I could turn up along with my S&W 17 revolver for my firearm. Happy to see some squirrel activity, no shots taken at them and had a big Doe come in and investigate a rabbit squalling call. Tried some wind direction detection powder for the first time, got some in my Christmas stocking this past Christmas. I am usually old school for wind just using a wet finger or taking off my hat and letting the wind hit my shaved head I can pretty much tell direction. I found the powder to work good and it also verified my old fashioned methods worked about the same.

Al

2023-02-08_133714.png

• Like 2

I think the Wind Detector Powder is just a selling gimmick . I have , in the past , used milk weed pods to detect wind direction . The floss that carries the milk weed seed is very light and is carried in the wind breeze and is a free detector . 

Years ago , there was a site called " The North American Hunting Club " . They would send out items to be tested . I got a wind tester . It was nothing more than a bobbin with red thread . You were supposed to break off a piece of thread and tie it to your bow stabilizer and it would move in any breeze . I never tried it . 

Sorry about knocking the wind detector powder but I was just bored .

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

Sorry about knocking the wind detector powder but I was just bored .

Hey Eddie had I not received it as a gift I would not have it, that being said I honestly have to say it actually does show the wind direction, but like I said above not any better than a wet finger or my shaved head.

Al

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, airedale said:

Hey Eddie had I not received it as a gift I would not have it, that being said I honestly have to say it actually does show the wind direction, but like I said above not any better than a wet finger or my shaved head.

Al

True it shows the wind direction right in front of you but milkweed will show you wind direction a lot further out. Lots of times, especially hill country, the wind will be in a different direction 40,50,60 yards out

I am hunting rabbits with my beagles until season closes at the end of this month. Then I will be hunting snow geese until season closes on April 15. There are many hunting opportunities that you can still take advantage of. Here are a couple of pics from last year.

FB_IMG_1643151178187.jpg

IMG954280.jpg.c3ef8ba919ca01a2f10735b2994ee57b.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Hit the timber for a little bit this morning to see what I could see, took the Browning Buckmark handgun along with my mono trigger stick. I think I have the Squirrels patterned pretty well, they are out right at daylight and stay out only for a short period before heading back to their dens. Saw a couple that would have been dead meat had I been carrying a rifle, with the handgun they were safe which is OK as I did not feel like killing one and having to dress it out. Tooted on one of my Varmint calls but had no takers today. Still had a good time.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Still plugging away, went out with my caller and my Marlin 256 mag Winchester to see if I could entice a Coyote, no such luck today. Did have a nice Red Fox show up and also a Barred Owl, they of course were safe. Paraphrasing Forrest Gump, "calling Varmints is like a box of chocolates, you never know what is going to appear", that is what is so much fun.

Al

Edited by airedale