EZV Sight

nybuckboy

I guess I am a bit thick-headed, but I do not understand the system. I know they talked about the 13-1/2" vital zone that they use as the width that is to be aligned somehow on the deer that apparently is always standing at right angles to the hunter, but what features on the deer identify the 13-1/2 inches? I saw where the transparent deer had some lungs to align the tick marks on the "V" contour, but I have never seen on a real deer any features that are visible that are exactly 13-1/2 inches apart.

Can somebody explain to me what it is that I am not catching on to here? What is it that's going completely over my head?

• Like 1

I just got my EZV yesterday. Just hat a procedure done so I won't be able to mount the EZV and be able to pull back my bow until this weekend probably. I have a complete understanding of how to mount and adjust to select the correct disc.

I don't think it will take long for me to know whether this is for me or not. A lot of guys who use the EZV have gotten rid of their peep and use a nose button.

The purpose my changing from a Truglo single pin pendulum was simplicity.I have use the single pin for over 15 years because of simplicity. One pin at 25 yds.

If this works like I think it will it will eleviate a lot judging and selection of the proper pin at the moment of the shot on a deer.  Thats the reason I made the purchase. 

On 2/13/2023 at 2:23 PM, Billdogge said:

Put the ball in the V. That simple.

I've been all over their ads, and the only ball that I see is an imaginary basket ball that covers some non-visual vitals that you really can't see. I still don't get it. I sure still must be missing something here.

The only thing that I can figure is you look at the deer and try to imagine the vitals inside of the deer, and then fit that hidden area between the "V" and which ever part that looks about right has to be the correct distance. Seems like a whole lot of guess-work and also relies on all deer being the same size (which they aren't). It bugs me that I can't understand the concept.

But no one has explained how you use a non-visible vital area as the size object to make the theory work. Also, the vital area on different sized deer varies immensely depending on the age and the size of the deer. This is not the first time that manufacturers have tried to use the size of the deer to guess the yardage. Back in the olden days (early 60's) there was a site that used the size of the distance between the back of the deer to the brisket, using properly sized ring sites. The theory didn't sell all that good back then, and they had tangible features on the deer to go by (the physical distance from the top of the deer's back to the bottom of the brisket).

Maybe I'm being a bit too picky about the accuracy or I am just not really understanding the theory, but I know the size of the vitals can vary a whole bunch depending on deer size. I also am not crazy about using the size of the vital area that I cannot see because it id inside the deer. Maybe it is just a case of "close enough".

I certainly understand your questions and concerns but if you go to the link I provided above you can see many people use it quite well. Im considering buying a used bow to mount the ezv and a nose button just see if it is something I like before I change my new bow. 

3 hours ago, nybuckboy said:

I certainly understand your questions and concerns but if you go to the link I provided above you can see many people use it quite well. 

And that is why it drives me crazy that I cannot understand how the "deer-size" range finding system is working where historically other attempts at using that theory theory have failed and are no longer available. Obviously there are people who are happy with it according to the testimonials so I became curious to see why this one is being accepted where others have failed.

I guess I will remain skeptical and see if this one succeeds where past versions have not. I am not really in the market for a new sight anyway, but it does all make me curious as hell.

This reply is going get a bit lengthy I suspect, so please have patience with me. I tend to get a bit "wordy".

Thank you so much for the video. I now know that my assumptions about the theory of this site have been correct. And I think this guy has done a great job of maximizing the theory that correlates the size of the vitals to the distance to the target. And like he said the theory is something that has been around for a heck of a long time. So if this theory has been around for decades (just in a different form), I have to wonder why most of today's hunting sites do not use the concept.

Here's what I remember about my first encounter with the size/range concept. I think it was back in the 60's when someone came out with a sight that had three or so rings of certain selected diameters that represented the vertical distance from the back to the brisket of an average deer. One was for 20, the next one down was sized for that distance on a deer at 30 yards, and another for a deer at 40 yards. Sounded pretty slick. But bowhunters pretty quickly found that deer are not all the same size, and a slight difference in deer size made the difference between an arrow going into a wound area or a real kill area. That concept didn't last very many years and today you cannot even find that design on the market.

The second area of skepticism that I have is regarding the convenient orange circle on the deer. It kind of like the deer you are sighting on is transparent. But the problem is that deer do not come with orange circles and they are not transparent. In the heat of the battle, you have to imagine exactly what the diameter of that vital area is. Not a close approximation, but an exact size because your range finding depends on an exact estimation of the size of the vitals on the featureless brown mass of the deer's body. Use his graphics and take away the orange circle that he conveniently provided. Not so precise anymore is it? Also look how close the tick-marks are vertically. a slight mistake in your estimation of the size of the vitals can have you using the 30 yard tick marks instead of the 20 yard tick marks.

A third concern is that he shows the deer standing exactly at right angles to the hunter. What happens if the deer is quartering away? The width of the vital area changes and I would guess that while the diameter of the vital area has now changed, his ranged distance has not changed to compensate. 

Well, my remarks are all based on theory, and he has put a lot more time and energy into the design, so I would reserve any final conclusions for results from people like yourself who have actually put their money where their mouth is. So I am eagerly awaiting your actual field tests under actual field conditions. I am hoping you will keep us informed on how this site works out for you. I know that he has hunted up people that have successfully killed animals with this site, but we don't know how many people have complained of wounding an animal with a bad range estimation. I would rather take the word of someone like you who I'm sure will give us the straight scoop when you get a chance to try it out. If it works as advertised it will be the best thing since sliced bread.....lol.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

First 19 shots At 20 yds. Should have been 20 arrows but shot 16 broke a nock and damaged and arrow. The last three arrows are number 17 18 and 19. The first four holes were off to the right so I moved the sight. There are two holes high, just above the target, which I simply blew it. The verdict is out so so far but I am encouraged. Will keep you updated as I progress. 

56EF4C93-98D2-4BFC-9FE8-0BDA288B9C02.jpeg

8FB678CD-432F-41E1-978A-857A506F662B.jpeg

73A94B3A-CC58-4350-AE3A-57E63127AF69.jpeg

Edited by nybuckboy

• 2 weeks later...

Now the question is, what would your group have looked like if you had been using a fixed 20 yard sight-pin instead of the EZV sight?

Also, were you using that oval shape on the target to set your EZV to determine the yardage? And of course the final question is where will you find a deer with that convenient circle on its side?

I know it sounds like I am just being a smart-assed jerk, but these are real life questions that a bowhunter has to ask when using that site  under real-life hunting conditions. Is it really good enough to replace a fixed pin site?