Did a member here win the federal duck stamp contest?

mike rossi

I have most of mine. As a matter of fact, we are adding a page to our website which we contain photos of life long purchases of hunting licenses, stamps, and permits. The page is to show in a tangible way, how much hunters contribute to conservation over their hunting career in just purchasing license , permits and stamps. Actually if you have fishing licenses and stamps include them as well.  Anyone who can contribute a photo, please do so. You can contact our web person on face book or just PM me on here. The website I am talking about for those who don't know is NY Dove Hunting.

I have most of mine. As a matter of fact, we are adding a page to our website which we contain photos of life long purchases of hunting licenses, stamps, and permits. The page is to show in a tangible way, how much hunters contribute to conservation over their hunting career in just purchasing license , permits and stamps. Actually if you have fishing licenses and stamps include them as well.  Anyone who can contribute a photo, please do so. You can contact our web person on face book or just PM me on here. The website I am talking about for those who don't know is NY Dove Hunting.

That's a really great idea. I love it! Proactive in a positive way. I will have to dig mine out next time I visit my folks (my dad liked to keep them).

I'm guessing you don't want a picture of my Lifetime License though??  :)

I have some of my first ones from the mid 70's and some others here and there.  IIRC I still have a PILE of unused tags from Colorado,  Alaska, Pennsylvania, Alabama etc........ :)

I may have missed it if it was brought up, but do you still own the rights to that picture to market it as you want, or does it now belong to the Federal Gov't?

I own the rights to the painting, and get the original back once they are done formatting and proofing the stamp (it is quite a process). When one enters the contest (and anyone in the US over age 18 can enter) you must sign an agreement that if you win, you will grant them the right to use the image as the Federal Duck Stamp (obviously) and that they may also use the image to promote the Federal Duck Stamp program. You also agree to sign things for them and do some travel (most of it is paid for by the festivals that one goes to) to help represent the program.

A lot of people ask, "What is in it for the artist?" Before I won, I had only a very basic idea. I am being transparent about this in case it helps any future winners.

The answer really depends on what the artist wants to do.

There is no prize money whatsoever. $0.98 of every dollar the stamp makes goes directly toward conservation efforts (habitat purchase/maintenance, etc).

I do get a single pane of stamps as a prize next September.

There is considerable notoriety; it's a very big honor to win and it may bring the winning artist more attention at a national level.

If the winning artist does nothing beyond the requirements set, then it can actually cost the artist money to win. Entry fees are $125+ shipping, and not all of the travel and related expenses are covered (again the money the stamp makes is NOT put aside for this, it goes to conservation).

Most artists, however, do prints of their winning painting. Prints are expected by collectors, and a part of the prints that no one ever seems to talk about but is very important-- Ducks Unlimited gets a large number (thousands) of the prints to raffle and sell at chapter meetings, to raise even more money (remember this is independent of the fund that the Duck Stamp sales go into) for wetlands and conservation. So, it is in the artist's best interest to do prints, and they also really give a huge leg up to organizations like DU for their fundraising.

The prints are completely independent of the Federal Duck Stamp (the stamp) and are on the artist's shoulders to produce. In the past, in the 1980s and early '90s, the wildlife art print market was booming. Some consider that it was out of control. Back then, an artist would usually sign with a publisher, and get a check, and then the artist would just have to sign and do remarques (little paintings in the margins). That's sort of a nutshell version. These days the market is not even a shadow of what it was due to many variables (economy, but also the age of collectors has generally gotten to the point where many are no longer collecting) so most artists find that they self publish, which has its pros and cons, but is a very large investment out of pocket and it turns into a full time job for about a year.

In the end, what is in it for the artist? Some fame, a little fortune (these days) if one is good at marketing oneself, a lot of work, and a very good feeling of being part of one of the world's most successful conservation efforts in history.

Edited by Jennifer
  • Like 1

I'm guessing you don't want a picture of my Lifetime License though??  :)

I have some of my first ones from the mid 70's and some others here and there.  IIRC I still have a PILE of unused tags from Colorado,  Alaska, Pennsylvania, Alabama etc........ :)

Those will work, I am including all my tags, out of state licenses, etc... The idea is to show what one hunter spends on licensing over a career of hunting... That in turn, demonstrates why each recruited hunter that hopefully becomes a life long hunter, is an asset to conservation...

• 1 month later...

Thought you guys might like this. This is a companion painting I did for the duck stamp. When you buy a duck stamp, it comes on a slip of paper that you peel it off of to stick to your license. The slip of paper has info about the program and an image on it. This will be said image.

As a nod to my home area, it is Lake Erie. The flying bird is a Black Tern (endangered in NYS) and the fish are Emerald Shiners. The plant is a swaying bullrush, a native plant species. I included these other critters since the duck stamp funds go to protect entire wetland ecosystems, which are vitally important to many species.

tumblr_ni3dymD8nB1u02q2bo1_1280.jpg

• Like 1

Congratulations indeed.  A fine representation of both sexes. 

Does anyone know anything about the blue bill? 

I assume these ducks aren't born with the blue bill, much like the blue footed booby, whose feet change color as they mature.  Is it a hormone thing or some other biochemical trigger?  Maybe something in its diet?  Just curious.

In any event, you've captured them beautifully.

Congratulations indeed.  A fine representation of both sexes. 

Does anyone know anything about the blue bill? 

I assume these ducks aren't born with the blue bill, much like the blue footed booby, whose feet change color as they mature.  Is it a hormone thing or some other biochemical trigger?  Maybe something in its diet?  Just curious.

In any event, you've captured them beautifully.

The blue of the drake's bill is part of his "nuptial" plumage, and the only known reason for it is for display for hens. When he is not wearing his best, he will lose the majority (or all) of the blue and his ruddy red feathers molt to a dull brown/grey as well. Many species follow this pattern; it is best to be camouflaged most of the year, but they put on their fancy outfits to impress the girls!

Here's a drake as they typically look in the winter: http://www.pbase.com/image/105189561

did you have a particular body of water in mind when you did the stamp and the companion painting or just make up the setting? they appear to have two different types of settings........

The stamp itself was inspired by seeing wild ruddy ducks up in Batavia, NY... the hills ended up looking a bit more like a scene out west, though, I have been told! To be totally honest I wanted the stamp itself to appeal to judges from anywhere in the country and left it a bit vague. I never anticipated winning! But now that I won I wanted to give the secondary image a clear nod to the Great Lakes region.

The blue of the drake's bill is part of his "nuptial" plumage, and the only known reason for it is for display for hens. When he is not wearing his best, he will lose the majority (or all) of the blue and his ruddy red feathers molt to a dull brown/grey as well. Many species follow this pattern; it is best to be camouflaged most of the year, but they put on their fancy outfits to impress the girls!

Here's a drake as they typically look in the winter: http://www.pbase.com/image/105189561

The stamp itself was inspired by seeing wild ruddy ducks up in Batavia, NY... the hills ended up looking a bit more like a scene out west, though, I have been told! To be totally honest I wanted the stamp itself to appeal to judges from anywhere in the country and left it a bit vague. I never anticipated winning! But now that I won I wanted to give the secondary image a clear nod to the Great Lakes region.

Well there you have it.  Very cool.  I would assume it must be hormonal then.  Thanks for satisfying my curiousity Jennifer.

• 5 months later...

The stamp is now officially released!

tumblr_nqo058R0xm1u02q2bo1_1280.jpg

You can get the self-adhesive (shown above) from most post offices (call first, some don't carry it) and sporting goods counters.

If you are a collector and prefer the gummed style, you can order them:

http://www.fws.gov/birds/get-involved/duck-stamp/buy-duck-stamp.php

If you want an artist-signed stamp and aren't local, get in touch with me and I will help you out!

We're also having a hometown event to celebrate the stamp release here in NY. It will be in the Olean/Westons Mills/Portville area on July 18th. It's free and open to the public, and we'll have special cancellations available, signing, and some pretty nice raffles. Bass Pro donated a bunch of really nice stuff to this so we have stuff like a nice trailcam, a nice goose call, some hunting gear, etc. Cutco also donated a really nice hunting knife.

17680_10153397487082720_9117293036023094

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

A very sincere thank you goes out to Gabe and the rest of the folks that could make it to my hometown celebration! If anyone couldn't attend but wants a signed stamp (etc) just drop me an email.

Edited by Jennifer