65 degrees in February????

Doc

Just finished some pretty aggressive pick and shovel work of about 4 hours, cleaning up the entrance to a new ATV road that I now have from a recent logging operation. Not bad for a guy that will be 80 next year.....lol. When I got done, I sat down on my folding hunting stool and just sat there for about an hour. I have never felt so completely relaxed. 65 degrees with a strong wind blowing, basically sitting in the middle of the woods in the sun, so damned peaceful and totally relaxed. I finally forced myself to head into the house. I really had no desire to go in, but dinner time was getting near. I feel sorry for those that did not get a chance to get out and enjoy this February weather. I hope you all had a chance to get out and enjoy this rare February event. Sorry about you guys that want to get some ice fishing or snowmobiling in, but today in western NY (and most of this winter), those activities are just not in the cards so far. 

• Like 2

Yup great weather minus the 25mph winds . Problem is my apple trees are pushing buds and will probably get frosted again  this year. With no real snow pack and warm weather I see another hot dry summer . We could really use a decent spring with some rain. We are still way off the water table norms . Have been thinking about putting in a big patch of sweet corn but I don't want to have to water it all summer long .

8 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

Yup great weather minus the 25mph winds . Problem is my apple trees are pushing buds and will probably get frosted again  this year. With no real snow pack and warm weather I see another hot dry summer . We could really use a decent spring with some rain. We are still way off the water table norms . Have been thinking about putting in a big patch of sweet corn but I don't want to have to water it all summer long .

Oh wow! I never thought about the fruit trees being pushed ahead of what is healthy for the harvest. That could be a problem this year. But I wouldn't be surprised if it all turns around befor winter is over.

2 hours ago, Nytracker said:

I’m going to plow our front yard for my early sweetcorn this year.  My wife has already given my the ok on that plan.  That will make it easy to water.  It will also make it easy to harvest, and to control the raccoons. They, and the deer  got almost all of my early sweetcorn plantings way out back, last year.   

Other benefits will be a lot less wasted time mowing our lawn this summer.  My front yard has gotten so rough the last few years, that I have had to run the riding mowers very slow.  The early corn will be done for, just in time to disk it up smooth and reseed the grass, at the optimum time of late August.   

My front yard drains very good.  I could probably plow it now if I wanted to.  I’ll wait until mid March or so, let the sod rot a couple months, then disk it and get it ready for planting early sweetcorn in mid May. 

5 hours ago, GreeneHunter said:

Like a fool I went and bought an electric Ice Auger , will probably have to wait until next year to use it !

Don't be too quick to be discouraged. Right now the temperature is down to 26 and still dropping. We still got March to get through yet. But I do understand your concern.

It's probably that pesky global warming.....right?

• Haha 2