Paper Plate Pugilists

jesse.james

The invite is open!  I have 2 more passes for the year I believe.  Great place to shoot with varied terrain and targets.  Great practice.  If I was not under the weather I would be their now.

Wish I was closer I'd be happy to shoot with you....I'm sure I'm not as good. ..I'm may not even stay within 20....I'm shoot idk maybe 50 rounds thru out the month of Sept to get ready I shoot from all elevations and positions....target panic is unbeatable till you harvest one then it gets better as my buck fever with a gun did....but I will tell you....if I am able to get a shot at a deer I am as confident as I'm going to get....if you arnt shaking and blood pumping when a deer walks in why hunt anymore as the thrill has left....for me it could be the biggest or smallest deer and i get excited....shoot if a squirrel jumps outta tree behind me it gets me going....shooting isn't a issue and shouldn't be for most guys.....the thrill and getting busted is.............o and I've shot squirrels and foxes with my bow from a stand....

The invite is open! I have 2 more passes for the year I believe. Great place to shoot with varied terrain and targets. Great practice. If I was not under the weather I would be their now.

If I'm ever on the other side of state I'll try and make it happen....I'm always for Learning and pointers...as my father doesn't bow hunt....

Separate spots for each broadhead. Save yourselves some money. Actually I use one of those cheapy Styrofoam targets with 4 targets on the face. The fact is that I have a 4-spot 8-1/2" x 11" paper target that I pin to a "block" for field points as well. I have to blow a shot pretty bad to have any two arrows actually contacting. I don't like cracked nocks and punctured vanes and dinged-up shafts. Adding broadheads into groups is just asking for real ugly damage. What can get real ugly is when you get contact that causes damage that isn't all that obvious, like a cracked nock that goes off like a dry-fire the next time that arrow is shot. Or if you really want to get gross and disgusting, think about the next shot of a carbon arrow that has been dinged up or slit by a broadhead.

i'm just gonna borrow a bow from my uncle, i think my cousin has some arrows for his bow ill borrow one of those too

I assume you are kidding but I recall a couple years ago being in the Geneseo walMart and a guy was buying some 20 ga and 12 ga slugs because he was borrowing a friend's shotgun and didn't know was ga it was . Gun season opened the following day .

sorry jesse but it's because of hunters with attitudes like you that there is always in fighting between us. Maybe the guy doesnt have time or the means to shoot as much as you prefer all hunters to shoot, maybe the kid doesnt have an experienced hunter to teach him that the more you shoot the better you are. I think suggesting that someone shouldnt dare go hunting until you've shot a bow for at least months or some "X" amount of time that you deem required is nonsensical. Like some have stated prior instead of turning up your nose like some bow hunting snob you should have offered knowledge or tips. 

I still do not understand why people shooting a bow think that the have to shoot groups as if they are shooting a firearm. Arrows are not cheap and replacing fletching and nocks are not also, Most targets are 16" or 18" square, you can easly fit 4 0r 5   3" dia. circles in that space , why not try to put an arrow in each circle ?. In stead of all in one circle.

yes i assumed the previous guy was kidding, i shoot 5 days a week starting jan and ending around the next jan

I assume you are kidding but I recall a couple years ago being in the Geneseo walMart and a guy was buying some 20 ga and 12 ga slugs because he was borrowing a friend's shotgun and didn't know was ga it was . Gun season opened the following day .

I haven't picked up my bow since last Oct. Picked up the bow again at the end of August. Sure, first day was horrible but by the 3rd day I was hitting around a 2" to 3" group at 30 yards. Final step was to shoot from my hunting spot which I did this Friday. Hit all my targets but I did ended up hitting my arm. Haven't done that in a while so I sometimes don't wear an arm guard. Guess there's still some rust there.

post-789-14119567033805_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am with Doc on the spot targets . Once the groups tighten up , shoot individual arrows at the spot targets .

I am also with Jesse on the part that if someone hasn't practiced they shouldn't be out hunting . That's how accidents happen . It's BS to pick up a bow that you haven't shot a few days before season opens and go hunting . You should have been at it months ago . give someone tips 5 days before season starts . My tip would be don't bow hunt until next season . Not everyone can become proficient in a weeks time .

Buy a crossbow . Takes bout 1/2 hour to become proficient according to a Horton Rep in an interview 4-5 years ago .

No way that's from one hit.

I kid you not.  That was one hit.  I've been hit before in previous years but never this bad.  Went up to my stand, took one practice shot.  Came back down, went back to the car, and to get an arm guard.  I knew it was going to be my worst the moment I felt it.  Of course, Murphy's Law.  After I put the arm guard on I never hit myself again the rest the of the day.

You know practice doesn't have to be hundreds of shots. I don't spend a lot of time up on the range at any one practice session. I find that the best results are about 20 arrows every other night. I used to get into these marathon shooting sessions, and all I ever accomplished was getting fatigued and starting to build in poor shooting form. Time really shouldn't be a limiter unless you have to travel to get to a range. It doesn't take a lot of time to step out back and fire off 10 or 20 arrows.

I have been shooting 30 -50 arrows a night at least 5 days a week for the past month . Less days earlier months . I practice from a 10' high treestand in the back yard at 4 different targets at 20 and 30 yards . Not everyone needs this but I find it enjoyable and it pays off .