Easy Predator Bait Station

An easy way to set up a predator bait station is with an old tire, just lay the tire on it's side and put the bait or attractant inside the tire. It is reasonably well protected from weather and the animals have to work at getting the bait out and keeps the birds from getting at it. Set up in the right place with the right bait can really draw them in.

I would set these up targeting Coon, I did not shoot over them although one could if they wanted to. I did it for training my young dogs so I could go to the tire and would have relatively fresh tracks for them to run. I would use cheap dog food and corn for bait.

A friend of mine put a camera on one and it drew in Foxes, Possums, Coons and Skunks in pretty good numbers.

Al

• Like 1

9 hours ago, airedale said:

The guy that showed me these set ups used prepared Trapper's baits in his tires, once he got them coming he set traps around the tire. He caught a lot of stuff.

Al

This is commonly called the "tire set".  Unfortunately for me , I don't have access to a 4-wheeler when I go trapping. I have enough equipment to carry without lugging around a tire. Besides which there are more productive sets to catch canines but it does have a place on the trapline.