Opening Day Weather

beachpeaz

looks like it is going to SUCK (in hunting terms) for opening day in WNY.

They are talking temps near 80 with lows in the mid 50's.

Last week was perfect with day time just hitting 60 and nightime in the mid 30's.

You look forward to that magical opening day for 9 months......its hard not to want to sit in your stand.....but, man, the deer are going to be bedded up and nocturnal if it is 80.

Just venting....

OK, so I'll get to my stand early. Did that once and a nice doe showed up and hung around the plots completely unaware of me - until it was shooting light. ;) Maybe I'll get back to camp a little early and prep some kindling. Always something to do, reorganize gear, etc. Not that I'm trying to boost your spirits though..  :aggressive:

Don't jump off the deep end people.  I didn't say the deer get put on a shuttle to the moon.  It is an absolute fact that in warm weather the deer move less during the day.  If you have a particluar buck you are hunting, and he is nocturnal, then going to your stand every day while he isn't moving, you are just asking for trouble.

Do you see deer?  Of course.  Can you shoot a deer? Of course.

But, if you put me in charge of the weather, It wouldn't be 80 degrees on opening day!  i can guarantee you that.

• Like 1

That's why I advocated for the late bow season to go into January instead of opening up 2 weeks earlier. The DEC at the time was willing to add 3 maybe 4 weeks to the late season. But no one was pushing to add days late. The NYB was pushing for the October 1st opener because when the state went to the 3rd Saturday in November opener for gun. We lost up to 9days of bow season so they said you  oh us the  first 2 weeks in October. :heat: 

That's why I advocated for the late bow season to go into January instead of opening up 2 weeks earlier. The DEC at the time was willing to add 3 maybe 4 weeks to the late season. But no one was pushing to add days late. The NYB was pushing for the October 1st opener because when the state went to the 3rd Saturday in November opener for gun. We lost up to 9days of bow season so they said you  oh us the  first 2 weeks in October. :heat: 

They also did this to be sneaky with the 2 laws that were passed (2 years ago and this year) and that is the youth gun hunt that is during bow season and now the cross-bow hunting.  They like to throw us bowhunters "a bone." for messing around with our season.  October 15th was really an ideal opening day.  I can't that a majority of deer are shot in the first 2 weeks (not the good ones that is).  But, since it is open, you will find this guy in his stand.  Wouldn't want to be anywhere else (especially work).

shot a doe about 715am that day too. plenty of daytime pics on the trail cam when it was hot out too. unless it's pouring rain I go hunting whenever I get the chance

who cares about doe?  lol.

I could shoot a doe literally any day, under any circumsnance of weather by me there are so many. 

I was specifically referring to mature bucks.....which do care about the weather a great deal.

does are idiots ;)

• Like 1

You are more than welcome to wait until the temperature is not too cold and not too hot, but 'just right'.

A)  There is no such thing as too cold, but there is such thing as too hot.

B  ) If you actually read my post (and comments), you would see they were directed at my PREFERNCE for it not to be so fricken hot on opening day, not that I wasn't going to go hunting.

C)  When you pattern a mature buck all summer and work  hard to put yourself in the right spot at the right time, there IS a "just right" time to be in the stand......you will learn that someday.

Edited by beachpeaz

They move the same way in similar weather whether it is hunting season or not... So if you were pairing variables scouting this week Wednesday should be a good am

Missed my target buck on openers in 12 and my notes showed 75 where I was

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have noticed that the bugs have backed off quite a bit. That was one of my main concerns was that I would be on stand waving my arms around trying to combat swarms of mosquitos. Another piece of good news is that my best shooting form is when I am not needing bulky cold-weather gear. I have not been a big supporter of this early start but now I am not so sure. Now if I can just get my fall workload taken care of maybe things will work out ok. Let's wait and see.

• Like 1