I won Doe Estrus, now what?

nycredneck

best time is the last week of Oct and first week of Nov....I look for buck scrapes and then put a few drops on the scrape. I then walk off and put a drop on a q-tip and walk some more and put another drop on a q tip....I have it so the q tips will have the buck walk pst the ground blind I have made....it has worked several times for me...remember a drop or two goes a long way to get that buck ....

So, how fresh is this stuff? I mean even the ranch deer are not in estrous yet are they? Do they have some way of bringing does into estrous on demand? But it seems to me that the doe in estrous scent has to be something that was gathered almost a year ago. Does that make it still convincing to the deer? Or is this another case of a product that we buy, "just in case" it might work. I ask simply because I really don't know.

The maker claims that his does are indoors in artificial light so the come into heat sooner. I have no idea but thats what he said. I would hate to ruin a spot, but I don't think that will happen. So earlier is better, I will try it on a drag and see what happens.

I could see that working. All that breeding stuff is based on photo-periodism ... right?

• Like 1

be careful using drags as you get closer to the rut and walking in under cover of darkness...being charged in the isn't fun....

I'd probably laugh at you Grow if it hadn't happened to me too.

No drag rags, just an accidental spillage of deer piss on my hunting duds the day before while filling my scent canisters..

The next day on my hike in, I had a little 3pt that decided we were going to have a "bull fight" before the sun came up when I spotted his glowing eyes in my headlamp at a scrape near my blind,lol

I'm pretty sure it was buck piss if memory serves me correct.

We both got a little bloody from that pre dawn encounter, but fortunately neither of us were seriously injured. ;)

• Like 2

I have always been leary about using the Doe Estrus too soon in the season but according to the posts , it sounds like it works for some .

It will work for some but 99.9% of the time this early it will be the little guys and you will educate the mature bucks. They know when the time is right. If any buck will work then dont be afraid to give some FRESH scent a try.

I agree it will work but I don't believe it educates deer... Human scent educates deer...

Once the hormones kick in even big boys make mistakes

So do you think if a mature buck smells fresh doe in heat ln the middle of summer he would come a runnin?  Mature bucks know when its time and when the does are REALLY ready to breed, not just smell nice, I mean breed. I see it live and in person on a yearly basis. Mature bucks laying there chewing their cud while the little guys with their..Stecter Picking Out chase the doe around looking for action.

As you and I both know we are not in the middle of summer.....

Also once a buck sheds their velvet the hormones already start building as the amount of available daylight decreases...

That's why a buck rubs his antlers and starts scraping....to leave their scent mark on those trees and dirt....That's rutting behavior....would you agree?

I'm not saying all bucks will come to estrous scent at anytime...

I'm saying as a bucks hormone level builds they will absolutely become restless.

Does are not ready to breed during pre rut chase phase BUT the bucks are! Right?

If bucks never come to estrous doe scent then why do so many get killed on highways and by hunters BEFORE doe are ready to breed?

Because BUCKS are ready! They can and will breed a ready doe

Agreed but a mature buck will very rarely chase a doe. When a buck matures he knows when the does are READY to breed. It comes with age. I ride down the thruway ad see 10-12 dead bucks from Syracuse to Rochester during my rut trip down to my farm and 95% of those bucks are little baby bucks,hence the chase phase. Not to often you see mature bucks splattered because they know when its time and they lock down a doe in places like the bottom of Letchworth state park or the thickest,nastiest part of their area and spends a couple days having a ball. Its tough to fool a mature buck with scent and if its not fresh and if the pheromones are not there,neither will most mature bucks. The urine is an attractant but the pheromones tell the true story.