Single Shot Shotguns Should be Allowed During Muzzle Loader Season

phantom

Talking with someone once about them using a traditional side lock rifle, they said "But what if it doesn't go off?"

To which my response was... "Then you're muzzle loading!" 

(I'm someone who hunts with lots of single shot rifles, single shot shotguns, has hunted the regular gun season with a flintlock several times. I find this idea not just a "no" but almost offensive)

Edited by cas
  • Like 2

I feel like all seasons are set up for the hardcore hunter like myself. No matter what firearm is allowed at that point of the season you will not change the number of hunters in the woods. Also I don’t care weather you have a faster single shot shot gun a muzzleloader is a lot more accurate to longer distances even if it’s a little slower reloading the first shot is the one that matters.

• Like 1

Its all about money.  That's why states keep expanding what's legal in "primitive seasons", they want to sell more tags. Period. If it were a "conservation tool" like they claim, they'd just extend the regular seasons or increase bag limits to achieve the same goal.  It's a money grab. The state just wants more money. Shocking I know. We should oppose the idea on that grounds alone.

Edited by cas
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rob-c said:

You can argue your point all you want , but I also have hunted with a muzzle loader for many years . There is a big difference between the 2  in reloading . And just so you’re aware I have reloaded and taken a second shot on the same deer with my 12 single on many occasions when I hunted with it. I am giving factual information not a opinion from the source,  me . But I will  say you are correct that a single is no comparison to a bolt ,lever or pump . 

You said it yourself after many years and your like a  ace hunter most guys are not going to be faat enough at it to make  difference and your not gettimg better range or Accuracy out of  a shotgun then modern muzz gun either i dont see the hurt of it being Included it is in its own way a primtive firearm .

Edited by phantom

8 hours ago, phantom said:

But 90% of people are using modern Muzzleloaders  with scopes not the old school stuff .

And if thats the case why make people many who are poor go out and get another weapon to fill the freezer .

First off I can’t imagine there are to many “Poor” deer hunters in this state that this change in laws would really matter and if they are really that Poor a season, a gun or a bag limit is the last thing they would ever worry about. 

9 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

First off I can’t imagine there are to many “Poor” deer hunters in this state that this change in laws would really matter and if they are really that Poor a season, a gun or a bag limit is the last thing they would ever worry about. 

I am just saying whats the hurt in it allowed in that season. muzz gun has better range better Accuracy anyway .

Just like some hunt with bow in rifle season why not let it in muzz season . Muzz gun is  not a better weapon as far as hunting goes speed not enough issue its the first shot that counts . And you dont have as good of range with shotgun so why not .

Yeah like a center fire Muzz gun with A scope on it is traditional its modern gun . Even the way the muzzle loader companies advertise them says so.

Edited by phantom

12 minutes ago, phantom said:

You said it yourself after many years and your like a  ace hunter most guys are not going to be faat enough at it to make  difference and your not gettimg better range or Accuracy out of  a shotgun then modern muzz gun either i dont see the hurt of it being Included it is in its own way a primtive firearm .

You can’t sit there and tell me you or anyone can load a muzzle loader as fast as a single shot . End of story your wrong . 

34 minutes ago, jperch said:

I bet if there was a special season for single shot shotguns some manufacturer would quickly come up with a single shot, rifled barreled shotgun.  Pretapped for a scope, of course.

At least one is available now.  Made by Henry with a MSRP of $619. I don't think they care about any special season when they make their guns.

Just now, rob-c said:

You can’t sit there and tell me you or anyone can load a muzzle loader as fast as a single shot . End of story your wrong . 

Its not a issue even if it is  faster .  Because you got better range and Accuracy with a muzzle loader  advantage muzzle.

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

Its not a issue even if it is  faster .  Because you got better range and Accuracy with a muzzle loader  advantage muzzle.

How do you figure pretty sure they make rifled barreled single shots . And one could mount a scope . 

Edited by rob-c

Just now, rob-c said:

How do you figure pretty sure they make rifled barreled single shots . 

It's still not going to have as good of  Ballistics as a muzz gun for one not gping to shoot as flat they also tend to kick harder making you more Likely to Flinch  . I just dont see the harm in it. It's not like they're going to be killing more dear than you with single shot shotgun .

7 minutes ago, rob-c said:

How do you figure pretty sure they make rifled barreled single shots . 

Ok then only smoothbore single shot shotguns. For argument sake. What's the harm in that you're not going to tell me you think those are better than a modern muzz gun .

Edited by phantom

7 minutes ago, phantom said:

It's still not going to have as good of  Ballistics as a muzz gun for one not gping to shoot as flat they also tend to kick harder making you more Likely to Flinch  . I just dont see the harm in it. It's not like they're going to be killing more dear than you with single shot shotgun .

5 minutes ago, phantom said:

Ok then only smoothbore single shot shotguns. For argument sake. What's the harm in that you're not going to tell me you think those are better than a modern muzz gun .

Your grasping at straws,  trying to prove your  point .. it will never happen ..

21 minutes ago, rob-c said:

Your grasping at straws,  trying to prove your  point .. it will never happen ..

There is a number of States that want to do what i'm talking about. I mean I guess it all depends on what their goals are . Is it about tradion or somthing else I argue unless you're gonna go flintlocks only having other premtive firarms should be Consider using Ballistics as your Guide to make the rules anything with less range should be ok to use like a smoothbore single shot shotgun 

Edited by phantom

4 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

CLASSIC phantom thread!

Hey whats up Buddy good to here from you . 

I  believe that smoothbore shotguns should be allowed in muzzleloader season, as there is no harm in it. Although smoothbore shotguns have less range and accuracy than muzzleloaders, they still provide an enjoyable hunting experience and should not be excluded from muzzleloader season. Allowing smoothbore shotguns in muzzleloader season would create a more inclusive atmosphere and provide more opportunities for hunters to enjoy their sport. 

Edited by phantom

32 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Pheasant  Season- All 5 Months . 5 days of early Anterless  Season. 2 Weeks of Fall Turkey. And coming up- Spring Turkey Hunting from April 25th to the end of May in 2 States.

You were saying.:hunter:

So you hunt in any state and you’re clueless as to who makes the hunting seasons?  You couldn’t find that in a U-Tube Video i take it?

1 hour ago, phantom said:

There is a number of States that want to do what i'm talking about. I mean I guess it all depends on what their goals are . Is it about tradion or somthing else I argue unless you're gonna go flintlocks only having other premtive firarms should be Consider using Ballistics as your Guide to make the rules anything with less range should be ok to use like a smoothbore single shot shotgun 

name a state and prove that they are considering it and where are these 90 dollar shot guns you speak of sold

4 minutes ago, land 1 said:

name a state and prove that they are considering it and where are these 90 dollar shot guns you speak of sold

American Tactical Nomad Single Shot 18.5" 12 Gauge Shotgun - Blue/Black, 18.5" Barrel, 1 Round, Synthetic, 3" Chamber, Black Synthetic Stock 104 bucks  right  now  but on sale u can get them cheaper 

13 minutes ago, land 1 said:

I think Kentucky Ohio Minnesota we're considering it. Some areas  have single shot  shotgun seasons where you can use a muzzle loader . There are so many different regs out there even with in a state .

6 minutes ago, phantom said:

I think Kentucky Ohio Minnesota we're considering it. Some areas  have single shot  shotgun seasons where you can use a muzzle loader . There are so many different regs out there even with in a state .

I like the single-shot smoothbore shotgun in ML season idea.  It might have put an extra deer in my freezer last year, during the Holliday ML season.  

I caught the tail end of the Christmas blizzard on the first day of that last year.  A considerable amount of wind driven snow must have made it into my muzzle that morning, then melted down into the powder charge, when I brought the gun in the house at lunch time.

That was the second mistake I made that day.  I should have left the gun out in my unheated barn.  I also should have covered the muzzle, when hunting in the wind driven snow, that morning. 

That evening, I suffered my first misfire with my in-line ML, saving the life of a nice sized broadside doe at 50 yards.  My old, NY-arms 12 ga single shot smoothbore would have had no trouble getting the job done that day with a plastic-cased smokeless-powder slug. 

If such a law passes (and I don’t believe it ever will), I would only use that shotgun on rainy or snowy days.  

• Like 2