Savage 99 .300 ammunition MIA

I have been keeping my eyes open since  before deer season, for ammunition for the Savage 99 .300 my grandfather  handed down to me before he died many years ago.

Looked again today when I was out and about, but still come up empty. Any ideas where to locate any? I would like to be able to use it for deer hunting next season.

my father has gun that uses 300 savage very hard to find he got lucky few yrs ago bought like ten boxes at auction from what i understand those that do still produce only do so every couple of years and in limited amounts. my understanding is no makes a new 300savage cal. gun so very limited ammo produced

• Sad 1

Land 1 is pretty much on the mark, ammo companies run off limited amounts of so called obsolete cartridges, when it does become available it is snapped up immediately and at high prices. 

I am in the same boat owning several calibers that I have not seen on a store shelf in many years. Up to a few weeks ago one could buy ammo online and have it shipped to their home, the prices were and are sky high but at least you could get some. Now after our dear democrat governor put an end to that you are basically left with few options. You can find some online and have it shipped to an ffl that will add even more to the cost. Or as I have been preaching for years get into reloading. Yes there is an investment to be made in equipment but with the cost of ammo reaching over $5 per round it does not take long to recover that investment.

Anyone looking to purchase reloading equipment do not dismiss used stuff, good reloading equipment lasts for many many years, one can save serious bucks over new and ebay is a great source. 

I checked over at the gun auction site and 300 Savage ammo is going for 3 to 5 dollars a round, add for shipping and an ffl fee to that and prices start getting nuts, it is a sad situation and believe me things are only going to get worse.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Sad 1

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gear-gun-supplies/ammunition-ammo-for-hunting-shooting-sports/rifle-ammo-hunting-shooting-sports/rifle-ammo/c/cat-300-savage-ammo

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/300-savage

A quick search led me to many sites, with ammoseek you can do a quick check of many sites and see who has it in stock. Course with NY stupid effing laws, you have to jump through hoops to get it.

Maybe try local gun shops and ask them to order it in for you. Seems like that would be your best bet.

Good Luck, its a great gun!!!

Robby

• Like 1

Rough day at the clinic today so I’ll make this shot. Thank you all for the input. I’ll take it all into consideration.  And, Al, I did shotgun reloading a few times as a kid with an uncle, but aside from that am not very knowledgeable when it comes to reloading. Maybe we need to have you run a class or mentor type program. I’ll sign up! 

I keep preaching that handloading is the best way I know of to maintain a sure ammo supply. Loading your own ammo is not hard, there are many online resources and youtube videos that will help one learn to learn how use buy and operate equipment. Even though I have been at it for a long time I use those resources all the time and I have always been happy to help members when they have questions about handloading the best I can.

Same deal with shotshells, if one shoots 410, 28 or 16 ga the ammo selection is small and prices high, empty hulls can be reloaded for huge savings.

For what the crazy selling prices some are charging for non main stream boxes of ammo one can set themselves up with some decent equipment.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...