Lawdwaz Whitetail Challenge thread

• 2 weeks later...

I got on stand around 7am Saturday morning.  A light cold rain was falling.  We still had a little patchy snow remaining in the area.  I dressed very different for this hunt; different wool pants that I wouldn't have to worry about wearing later in the day, normal three layers of long johns on top with a fleece shirt then a gray Gore tex coat.  I took two hats, one orange baseball hat and one heavy wool hat. 

Between the rain and melting snow it was pretty lousy but I have sat in worse.............a doe and a fawn came by around 8am.  I saw nothing else and decided to split around 10am.  After climbing down I wanted to take a peak at an area loaded with oak trees and check to see if the deer were still hitting them.  I went slowly about 60 yards south west of my stand and was scanning down below and spotted a deer broadside about 60 yards away.  It was on alert and after about 30 seconds snorted and spooked down the hill, THEN I could see the horns!.  I mooched (I ain't no injun' :) ) down the hill in the direction the he fled and only went about 50 yards when I spotted him about 75? yards further down the hill.  I only had a 1" diameter sappling in front of me for a rest and it wasn't in the right spot for me to lean on.  I grabbed it and bent it over enough for me to get the crosshairs on his chest and then lit the wick.

I figured the shot was on but he blasted down the hill and out of sight PDQ..........It only took me a few minutes to find him.  The shot was true.  I called my wife to let her know and then my buddy to arrange a pick up on the lower road in 30 minutes. 

Although I was pretty sweated up from the drag we went for a hardy breakfast in Livonia.  That coffee tasted especially good!

He's no hog but for the second last day of rifle I am happy as a clam........... :)

• Like 3

Oh yea, the important things...........7mm-08 ULA, 120gr Barnes TSX and HuntingNY.com hat for dragging only!  (I had to make a trip back up to my truck to shed some clothes, gun, binos etc. and figured I'd toss that hat on)

I had my orange vest on for the drag down the hill but took it off when I got near the road, I had a house near me and didn't need to advertise the deed.

Ingram, Chris Reeve Sebbie Nice!

I've a couple Striders, Hinderer , a couple custom FB, 100 year old Marble , pre 64 Puma White Hunter, to many production to list .

Would like a Dozier but the wait is 3 years.......

• Like 1

Ingram, Chris Reeve Sebbie Nice!

I've a couple Striders, Hinderer , a couple custom FB, 100 year old Marble , pre 64 Puma White Hunter, to many production to list .

Would like a Dozier but the wait is 3 years.......

The CR is just a wonderful folding knife.  Surprised you remembered!  I have Puma game Warden, circa 1975 or so.  Great knife too but I haven't used it in 30 years.

I've had a few Dozier knives but only have one now, a straight personal IIRC.  I'd really like a Jerry Halfrich LB 5 but that isn't in the cards for the forseeable future. :)