Turkey Hunting With A Rifle

airedale

Some States allow the use of rifles for Turkey hunting, many are out west with a bit more open habitat.  For some reason I always thought the reason rifles were not allowed for Turkey hunting was a safety issue, was reading why PA closed it's fall season to rifles and their point backed by statistics was that it is easier to bag a Turkey with rifles.

Al

================================================================

States Legal to Use a Rifle

California Air Rifle

Colorado Yes

Florida Yes

Georgia Air Rifle

Maryland Yes

Missouri Yes

Montana Yes

Oklahoma Yes

Utah Yes

Virginia Yes

West Virginia Yes

Wyoming Yes

My first reaction to this is that I should be allowed to hunt with a rifle.But then, my self imposed restriction, nothing ever .36, .40, probably would be met with, but, but, but, then we should all be able to rifled up!

Robby

IMG_0652.jpeg

IMG_0646.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

This could be a page Turner.

I say no to Rifles  in New York for both Turkey Seasons.

Wild Turkey Biologist- the Late Wayne Bailey in his Book-- Wayne's  Turkey World/60 Years Of Hunting-( I have a signed copy)- listed several Spring and Fall Fatalities. 

Jack Cromer,Supervisor of Game Research West Virginia Dept of Natural Resources in Spring 1981 was Yelping like a Hen when he received  a .22 Magnum in his lower leg. He survived. Bailey lists a few others that were killed by Rifles .

Like i was saying in the other thread it really  should be based on Ballistics these season  before anything else but im good with just  shotguns only for turkey . 

• Like 2

If I lived in a state where it was allowed I would have some sort of combination gun, a 22 centerfire and 20 ga with a micro red dot for sighting and use according to the shot that was presented. The same gun would make a first rate varmint calling firearm also.

Al

2023-02-28_130533.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, airedale said:

As far as I am concerned there is no reason for anyone to get shot hunting, I don't care if it was done with a rifle, shotgun or squirtgun, basic safety protocols were not followed in almost every case of a shooting incident.

Al

This is completely true, however...

As it stands now, the property safety protocols are not in place in NY if you want to turkey hunt with a rifle projectile that will travel much further than #4 shot from let's say a 3.5" magnum shotgun which will drop off past 60 yards.

First, turkey hunters are head to toe in camo, no blaze orange - I think turkeys can see color well, so blaze orange would not be embraced by any turkey hunters. You probably know some rifle hunters that are crazy enough to not wear blaze orange even though deer don't see the orange, however, there is a reason this is the safety protocol regulation in NYS during deer firearm seasons.

Finally, many turkey hunters use realistic decoys and calls, which unless you are close - say shot gun range, some hunters may not be aware of what they are shooting at and what is hiding in camo behind it.

This is another one of those hypothetical musings that has zero chance of happening in NYS.

I don't hunt turkeys any more, but I used to get one every spring and the enjoyment/sport came from calling them within shotgun range. Best of luck to thosethat turkey hunt and stay safe.

Edited by Untwisted Pretzel logic
Duplicate content
  • Like 1

I understand your concern, the same kind of logic and rational could be used for just about any kind of hunting done with a rifle, it was used here in NY for Deer hunting allowing only the use of slugs for many years. The laws were changed and rifles allowed in many slug only areas and statistics have shown no increase of hunting shooting incidents with rifles. In fact I read somewhere that this past hunting season was one of the safest ever regarding shooting incidents with many more Deer hunters in the woods than Turkey hunters.

I also have to believe in states where rifles are allowed safety is closely scrutinized and if there were serious numbers of hunter shooting incidents with rifles it would be well known and rifles would be banned. 

Don't make much difference to me one way or the other, as with the shotgun vs rifles here in NY I never had a problem killing a Deer with either, any time I put the effort in I never had a problem killing a Turkey with a shotgun.

In the end I think it is pretty much what the PA studies show that getting a Turkey with a rifle is easier than with a shotgun having much to do with the rifle ban,

Al

• Like 1

I brought this subject up many years ago here about using a .22 for turkey if it was legal. The general consensus was no. for reasons ranging from safety of how far the bullet travels too the hunter orange thing, to some just stating NO! in bold caps and underlined.

I wear orange hunting turkey on public land until I get where I'm setting up and then the orange hat is hung in a near by tree.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

I wear orange hunting turkey on public land until I get where I'm setting up and then the orange hat is hung in a near by tree.

It's good that you're cautious. My turkey vest had a blaze orange square that I wasshowing when I moved.

One other point that I should have added above , is that most farm fields are sloped down at the edges . So if you are in the woods sitting and shooting at a bird in the field, your shot will be at an upward angle and will travel a long way past with a rifle to where you can't see.

Also if someone is shooting with a rifle in the field towards the woods, the bullet will travel down toward an unseen hunter and could be tragic.

That's all I have on this topic. Be safe.

I try my best to base any opinion of a law on facts, if there are statistics that show a high incidence of hunters getting shot while Turkey hunting in states directly linked to the use of rifles compared to states that require shotgun only I would be all for a ban. What I will not do is base opinion on hypothetical theory.

Al

Edited by airedale

No theory, fact -turkey hunters do not wear blaze orange in NYS while hunting; it is not required and full camo is the best strategy to success.

This combined with other factors that I provided above, make turkey hunting one of the most inherently dangerous forms of hunting.

Provide us with your facts from the other states that allow rifles. I would love to see them  Also provide context, for example in Florida rifles are not allowed in WMAs, so mostly on private property.

Again, as crazy as things are in NYS, I don't think rifles for turkey will ever happen. Thank God for that, as one death is one too many just to shoot a turkey with a rifle.

PS This site just notified me that I've been promoted to a collaborator LOL. Don't know if I should be proud or worried, isn't a collaborator similar to a conspirator? :mda:

Edited by Untwisted Pretzel logic
Added
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Untwisted Pretzel logic said:

Provide us with your facts from the other states that allow rifles.

I have no facts that is why I reserve judgement, I am questioning the law because the exact same argument you are using was made here in NY for many years against rifles for deer hunting in the southern zone. Again I would think in the states that allow rifles for Turkey hunting if there was any sort of evidence that hunting accidents by rifle use was a much greater risk than shotguns they would be banning them and it would definitely be known. I do not see or hear of any such evidence. How about you providing us with your facts that hunters are being shot accidently with rifles during Turkey season, I am all ears.;)

Al

Maybe air rifles be ok   but not powderburners  i think thats over  kill and to much of a Advantage. Just Thought I'd put that out there .

I just have this image of someone on state land with a ruger 10/22 just spraying the mag out  at the first sign of Movement in the brush in my head . And that is lot  more Dangerous then turkey shot if u happen to get hit .

Edited by phantom
  • Like 2

LOL There is no comparison between deer hunting safety protocol/regulations and turkey hunting. Please know that blaze orange is required for deer hunting with any firearm including one capable of firing a projectile that can travel over a mile.

Tactics for turkey require concealment, no blaze orange, therefore, more risk from someone shooting from a distance at movement or a realistic decoy.

You want facts. Look at incidents where hunters that are not wearing blaze orange during rifle season are shot. Blaze orange laws are there for a reason. The cases are there for you to look and see, no ears required.

Have a good day and always hunt safely.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Untwisted Pretzel logic said:

LOL There is no comparison between deer hunting safety protocol/regulations and turkey hunting. Please know that blaze orange is required for deer hunting with any firearm including one capable of firing a projectile that can travel over a mile.

Tactics for turkey require concealment, no blaze orange, therefore, more risk from someone shooting from a distance at movement or a realistic decoy.

You want facts. Look at incidents where hunters that are not wearing blaze orange during rifle season are shot. Blaze orange laws are there for a reason. The cases are there for you to look and see, no ears required.

Have a good day and always hunt safely.

I think i heard the guy from meat eater say one time that more people are shot in turkey season then any other season of hunting becuase of the way you hunt turkey  camo no blaze orange  exsta .  He even went on to say that has  friends that've been shot in turkey season  more than one.

Edited by phantom
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, phantom said:

I just have this image of someone on state land with a ruger 10/22 just spraying the mag out  at the first sign of Movement in the brush in my head

Your someone image will more than likely have the same habit no matter what they were hunting be it Squirrels Rabbits Deer or Turkeys and be doing it with whatever firearm they were using. Someone that fires at a movement is the worst as far as I am concerned.

9 hours ago, Untwisted Pretzel logic said:

Please know that blaze orange is required for deer hunting with any firearm including one capable of firing a projectile that can travel over a mile.

You do know that the blaze Orange law just went into effect and at least from what I see most Deer hunters try to conceal themselves and wear camo. Personally I am all for blaze Orange and never go into the woods period without a blaze Orange hat on.

I will again cite the doom and gloom predictions about rifles being used in the southern zone for Deer saying dead hunters would be stacked up like cord wood if rifles were ever  allowed. Bottom line none of it happened.

Someone is going to have to show me undisputable proof that in states that allow rifles for Turkey hunting there are more incidents of hunters been shot or injured with a rifle than where shotguns only are used and I have seen nothing of the kind that is official, just hypotheticals of what possibly can happen not what did happen.

9 hours ago, chrisw said:

I'd roll one with a 17HMR or 22 Mag if it were legal.

They are two good calibers that work well for taking Turkeys. Here on the farm for several years I raised a flock of Merriam wild Turkeys. When it came time to harvest one for the pot I used both a 22 mag and a 17 HMR which beat in spades trying to hold a big Tom down and killing him using the old chopping block method.

At distances of up to 100 yds those two cartridges were 100% effective with very little meat damage, hit them right behind the wing where it attaches to the body and it is lights out.

Al 

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

I'm happy that you have good success shooting domestic turkey with a rifle. Also, happy that any chance that NYS will make this type of thing legal are hopefully close to zero.

In any case, I'm with chrisw; in that I'd rather be fishing than turkey hunting, so I don't do it any more. However, I hope anyone that does hunt is safe doing it.

You should take this beyond the absurd and start a thread about waterfowl hunting with a rifle. I think Alaska may allow this, so there's a start LOL

11 minutes ago, Untwisted Pretzel logic said:

You should take this beyond the absurd and start a thread about waterfowl hunting with a rifle.

As far as I know there is no place period to legally hunt waterfowl with rifles so it is not even up for a debate as far as I am concerned.

But I can tell you I also raised a flock of Geese and absurdly they also were taken out with the 22 mag and 17 HMR, shooting them was much more effective than the old chopping block method and less stressful.

Beheading my livestock never set too well with me.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

I think its a pretty moot point anyway, never happen. Even with my .36 caliber loaded down with only 20 Gr's of fff, I be very leery of taking a shot. Kinda, 100%, absolutely sure it is a safe shot.

Robby

• Like 2

The whole premise of this thread was PA's ban on rifles for hunting Turkeys, I was surprised that there was zero mention of any safety factors that had anything to do with their decision. It was all about reducing the number of Turkeys taken, not safety.

Al

“The Board of Commissioners wants to take the necessary steps to protect Pennsylvania’s turkey populations, which have been below-goal in many Wildlife Management Units,” said Commissioner Scott Foradora, who represents District 3 in northcentral Pennsylvania. “Faced with a decision between either shortening the overall season length which will impact all turkey hunters, or removing rifles which are used by a smaller group of hunters, the board believed that the better option is to remove rifles.”

According to recent survey data provided by the DCNR, 14 percent of Pennsylvania fall turkey hunters primarily use rifles, but rifles are responsible for 33 percent of the fall turkey harvest.

“Taking rifles out of the fall season will reduce the harvest of hens in that season, without further reducing season lengths, thus giving turkeys further protection without limiting hunters’ time afield,” Foradora said.

Commissioners said future fall turkey seasons could be re-extended if removing rifle hunting reduces harvest numbers enough.

3 hours ago, airedale said:

Your someone image will more than likely have the same habit no matter what they were hunting be it Squirrels Rabbits Deer or Turkeys and be doing it with whatever firearm they were using. Someone that fires at a movement is the worst as far as I am concerned.

You do know that the blaze Orange law just went into effect and at least from what I see most Deer hunters try to conceal themselves and wear camo. Personally I am all for blaze Orange and never go into the woods period without a blaze Orange hat on.

I will again cite the doom and gloom predictions about rifles being used in the southern zone for Deer saying dead hunters would be stacked up like cord wood if rifles were ever  allowed. Bottom line none of it happened.

Someone is going to have to show me undisputable proof that in states that allow rifles for Turkey hunting there are more incidents of hunters been shot or injured with a rifle than where shotguns only are used and I have seen nothing of the kind that is official, just hypotheticals of what possibly can happen not what did happen.

They are two good calibers that work well for taking Turkeys. Here on the farm for several years I raised a flock of Merriam wild Turkeys. When it came time to harvest one for the pot I used both a 22 mag and a 17 HMR which beat in spades trying to hold a big Tom down and killing him using the old chopping block method.

At distances of up to 100 yds those two cartridges were 100% effective with very little meat damage, hit them right behind the wing where it attaches to the body and it is lights out.

Al 

Yes true but Usually with tree rats they at least will be shooting up and not at ground level still bad but less chance of hitting some one at close  Lethal  range. 

I have had bird shot pellets rain down on me from a distance Distant field thats scary enough on state land before . 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, airedale said:

The whole premise of this thread was PA's ban on rifles for hunting Turkeys, I was surprised that there was zero mention of any safety factors that had anything to do with their decision. It was all about reducing the number of Turkeys taken, not safety.

Al

“The Board of Commissioners wants to take the necessary steps to protect Pennsylvania’s turkey populations, which have been below-goal in many Wildlife Management Units,” said Commissioner Scott Foradora, who represents District 3 in northcentral Pennsylvania. “Faced with a decision between either shortening the overall season length which will impact all turkey hunters, or removing rifles which are used by a smaller group of hunters, the board believed that the better option is to remove rifles.”

According to recent survey data provided by the DCNR, 14 percent of Pennsylvania fall turkey hunters primarily use rifles, but rifles are responsible for 33 percent of the fall turkey harvest.

“Taking rifles out of the fall season will reduce the harvest of hens in that season, without further reducing season lengths, thus giving turkeys further protection without limiting hunters’ time afield,” Foradora said.

Commissioners said future fall turkey seasons could be re-extended if removing rifle hunting reduces harvest numbers enough.

They think by not allowing rifles in the fall it's going to reduce the number of turkeys killed? I guess they forget people will still hunt and kill turkeys, with a shotgun. SMH. This whole country's gone bat crap crazy. 

49 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

They think by not allowing rifles in the fall it's going to reduce the number of turkeys killed?

I have to agree, a good turkey hunter is still going to kill a bird most times no matter what gun he or she is using.

Al