Looking for Info on the 7 x 64 cartridge

My neighbor called me last night and said he had just acquired a 7 x 64. I believe its an English round used for hunting medium/big game? But that is about all I understand. I'm guessing ammo is going to be hard to find as well.. 

I got excited when he said this, thinking it was a beautiful valuable firearm, but it is on a New England Single shot frame.. in beautiful shape though.. 

I believe it’s the ballistic equivalent of a 280 Remington.   If you find ammo difficult to source, the barrel could be pulled, re-chambered, set back and re-threaded by most any half competent gunsmith.  Make it a 280 Remington!!

• Like 1

It  is very popular in Europe and Africa...  As Lawdwaz said it' ballistic equivalen to the .280 Rem and I can attest to the effectivness of that round, having used my .280 to kill everything from woodchucks   to Alaska bull moose over the last 40 years...

The ammo isn't hard to find online, but it's not allowed to be shipped directly to you in this God forsaken communist state we are living in.  If you can have it shipped to a friend in a free state, this Prvi Partisan 140gr SP Boat Tail ammo is a great value for the price.

https://www.luckygunner.com/7x64mm-brenneke-140-grain-pspbt-prvi-partizan-20-rounds#rid=ammobuy