At what point do you say "NO" to work?

burmjohn

I work anywhere from 50 to 80 hrs in a five day week.  The project I'm on now will last almost two months and I have had only 3 days off so far this month, hunting season started last weekend and I have not seen my family hardly at all this month and forget about hunting. I get paid OK but feel it should be more, for any day I don't work, I don't get paid, no vacation or sick days here. It makes me angry now that I have a family but it is what it is I guess. Had to stop typing just now because even though I finished 2 hrs ago I just got phone call. Always try to not do these kinds of projects but I am helping a friend so he can put this one on his resume.

Always get phone calls after hours and on weekends and don't like it but they usually revolve around people trying to line up things for all departments so everything will run smooth when we get back on Monday- Friday.

Their are salaried and hourly positions. There are trade offs to each for the employer and employee.

The first question is can the position even be classified for a salaried position.

Let's assume yes. You are in a position that  can be legally classified for a salaried position. so you get 40 hours pay, even if your work requires you spend 60 hours at work. Great for the employer, right? The down side for them is say you are out sick tis week on Thursday, they still HAVE to pay your salary based on the 40 hours. if you abuse it they can write you up, put you on doctors slips and such, but they HAVE to pay you. They can also make you use sick time or vacation time if you have it, based on their policies and procedures. For illness of certain me frames they can also required Short term disability and that pay sucks for the most part.

Hourly is as it sounds. hourly pay for hours worked and unless there is some special agreement in place like NY State prevailing wage work. it is 1.5 times base pay for Over time hours beyond 40. (Some agreements are OT after 8 per day)

I am speaking of NY and Federal work Only. not claims for other states.

I guess my point is know you rights and your responsibilities. I hear stories like these a lot and some companies put  a salary classification tag on positions and unless it is management, professional or supervisory, it may not be right.

I work for family,so I get calls at any time day or night weekends holidays.I am paid well and I do get paid if i have to drop everything and get to the shop.I am not called if I am away or during deer season.......I would do the same for a boss that was not family.Thats just how I am.

• Like 1

I am hoping to retire early so it is pretty hard to say no to overtime.  We get paid double time for all overtime that we work . I work an average of 900 hours a year overtime all of that gets averaged into our pension pus a percentage goes into a 457 retirement plan, and a Roth IRA . I should have a good enough pension and savings to retire early and enjoy my retirement .

I'm in IT and sometimes field calls in a emergency.  If the calls get excessive I would request a salaried position and raise to compensate for your extra time to help out.  Otherwise you can request that if you take a hour of your time on a weekend to help you should be compensated with at least an hour off the next day. 

A good company should compensate you for your time.  Raise, extra time off, bonuses or other compensations should be rewarded, if not you do not field any more calls, text, or e-mail until you are on "work time". 

I have used the fishing and hunting excuse for years but the "I was drunk" one is the best, lol 2 FUNNY!!!

I'm in IT and sometimes field calls in a emergency.  If the calls get excessive I would request a salaried position and raise to compensate for your extra time to help out.  Otherwise you can request that if you take a hour of your time on a weekend to help you should be compensated with at least an hour off the next day. 

A good company should compensate you for your time.  Raise, extra time off, bonuses or other compensations should be rewarded, if not you do not field any more calls, text, or e-mail until you are on "work time". 

I have used the fishing and hunting excuse for years but the "I was drunk" one is the best, lol 2 FUNNY!!!

If you are getting a lot of calls why wouldn't you prefer to be hourly and paid for what you work?

I left two very good jobs with the federal government and state government... simply because I had enough of being taken advantage of by "live to work" bosses and co-workers... I work for myself because I am able to set my own hours and charge my own fees... I only get paid for working... I have a rule at 55... I NEVER work more than 40 hours a week... and NEVER work weekends... I understand that is not realistic for everyone.. but for me, work is something I do to live... it is NOT my life... it always takes a back seat to the things that really matter in life.. and at this age if I have to work more than 40 hours to get by.. I have really done something wrong in my life.

It's a matter of how much you value your role or your opportunity to advance. For 1, I have had a company paid smart phone about 8 years now. Back to the Blackberry days. If you got a phone, you were expected to look at it and answer accordingly. Generally you knew what needed answering on the spot.

but I would say that if you're looking to make a name and climb the ladder a little extra above and beyond is what managers look for. I have promoted and not promoted my employees based on this. I was very clear however that I would ask them to do "more than what your job requires". If they agreed it showed their hard working and willing to sacrifice now for later payoff. Some did not and they still have their current roles. They're not demoted, just not promoted.

You may disagree with this approach and that's fine. Remember I'm not old school. I'm 31 but still believe  you need to earn your way in life. And if you disagree with that too, then be glad you don't work for me :)

To counter this, I believe and have been fortunate to have bosses who believe you should use every last ounce of vacation. You're stupid not to (if you get paid for it). Family is always first. I have let my employees flex their time to accommodate family issues. Very important to not work your life away. Very important to remember why you work.

I'm also a firm believer in working smarter not harder. Gets you home earlier.

Edited by Belo
  • Like 3

There really always has been only one thing that would get me into work. It has nothing to do with making a name or climbing a ladder or some wonderful title, or  a position of status. Quite simply, the motivator for me has always been money. Not the promise of money off in the future, but money paid for work accomplished. So when somebody told me that I would perform extra work but with no extra compensation, that didn't happen very often. And when it did happen, they were not dealing with a happy satisfied employee. So the bottom line is that old saying, "you get what you pay for" really does apply. Terms of work shouldn't be based on how much free time they can scam out of you. If that is their M.O. then it probably is a shyster outfit that I wouldn't want to work for anyway.

• Like 1

There really always has been only one thing that would get me into work. It has nothing to do with making a name or climbing a ladder or some wonderful title, or  a position of status. Quite simply, the motivator for me has always been money. Not the promise of money off in the future, but money paid for work accomplished. So when somebody told me that I would perform extra work but with no extra compensation, that didn't happen very often. And when it did happen, they were not dealing with a happy satisfied employee. So the bottom line is that old saying, "you get what you pay for" really does apply. Terms of work shouldn't be based on how much free time they can scam out of you. If that is their M.O. then it probably is a shyster outfit that I wouldn't want to work for anyway.

My point was that you have to earn that promotion. Which may very well mean doing extra work without the compensation so that you are rewarded later. I strongly urge anyone to make sure that opportunity is there however before you go above and beyond.

It's very similar to getting a college degree. You're not working while you're in school and you're getting loads of debt. However, most will realize that it can pay off.

I know plenty who work hard with their hands and OT, nights and weekends and they make more than me. But when I'm 50 I'll be glad I don't have to work nights and weekends. This is not a dig on those who work like this. There are days I wish I could do more with my hands, or work outdoors. I guess what I'm getting at is that there are pros and cons to all jobs and all types are needed. How you choose to work and what you value is your call. Not everyone should aspire to be a CEO. But at the same time, if you're not where you want to be financially, take a good hard look in the mirror and think about the choices you've made.

i will agree with you regarding "power" or "status". For me, I work to support my family. Nothing more.

Many do not pay OT now and compensate with one hour off on Monday for a hour worked on a Saturday.  Not exactly good for the employee but works out good for the company.  Believe me I know about OT, when it was given I made more money than I make with a base weekly salary.  That was over 5 years ago.  Many would ask WHY stay, well I have been out in the real world and know how bad some businesses can be.  I am sure I could make much more but I am happy with many aspects of my company. 

People are what make a company great and the people in my company are kind, compassionate and understanding and they know what they are doing in there respective fields.  Anyone who has worked enough knows how hard that can be to find.

Sometimes your overall health and happiness are more important than money.    

I work a compressed shift in a 24/7 365 as a facilities Ultrapure water / waste water operations technician in the semiconductor industry, shift is Sunday thru every other Weds, 12 hour shifts.  My boss has always been very good to me during hunting & ice fishing season. I make a point of busting my ass all year & save my off time for the fall/winter. Very rarely do I ever get a call from work when off for hunting or fishing. Fortunately, the other guys on shift don't hunt or fish so they all take their time off in the summer.

They've been so good to me that even if I was called & asked to come in, I would.

I gave up a monday to friday 7-330 job when the hours became much more with no compensation.  I also left when I was on both sides of the mental health issues and the safe act.  I refused to the the drs bidding and turn in people he wanted done and would not himself.  I now work a job that entails every other weekend.  I have tons of time off and can use it as I want.  If I stay after hours, it is my choice, and I am paid for it. I am happier and enjoy this much more. 

My point was that you have to earn that promotion. Which may very well mean doing extra work without the compensation so that you are rewarded later. I strongly urge anyone to make sure that opportunity is there however before you go above and beyond.

It's very similar to getting a college degree. You're not working while you're in school and you're getting loads of debt. However, most will realize that it can pay off.

I know plenty who work hard with their hands and OT, nights and weekends and they make more than me. But when I'm 50 I'll be glad I don't have to work nights and weekends. This is not a dig on those who work like this. There are days I wish I could do more with my hands, or work outdoors. I guess what I'm getting at is that there are pros and cons to all jobs and all types are needed. How you choose to work and what you value is your call. Not everyone should aspire to be a CEO. But at the same time, if you're not where you want to be financially, take a good hard look in the mirror and think about the choices you've made.

i will agree with you regarding "power" or "status". For me, I work to support my family. Nothing more.

Of course I understand what your point is. I was made very well educated in the nuts and bolts of the free OT game while I was still employed. There was a time when promotions were based on expertise and knowledge and ability to actually perform at the next level. It was not based on how many hours they can scam out of you. There never was a column on my performance appraisal that tallied up how many hours of free OT that any employee worked. There are some like myself who might be suspicious of the abilities of those that cannot complete their work within the regular proscribed hours. Our performance appraisals related to how well you did your job, not on who works the most free time. To me that is just a measure of how easily you are manipulated, and not a measure of dedication or ability. Some of the most brilliant employees do not require extra hours to complete their tasks. They have learned how to be smart and efficient at their job. You mentioned working smarter and not harder. Well those that frequently require OT are not necessarily abiding by that philosophy. To me excessive levels of OT (mandatory or otherwise) are simply indications of poor management. And when it becomes a way of life as with some corporations, I believe that it goes beyond simple inadequate management of people and tasks and begins to represent intentional employee abuse.

I have been at my current job for over 21yrs and have given up alot of happy things for them for their 6 day work week. I missed alot if not most of my 3 kids games,meets,competitions etc through their childhoods. I gave up our 26ft Searay sport cruiser we kept and used quite often on Lake Ontario.....be a cold,cold day in hell that I give up my hunting time in NY. I WILL find another job if need be- and they are very aware of that fact. I work to survive, not the other way around.

• Like 1

Yeah, I have seen kids basically grow up without a father simply because of more dedication to work than their own family. I know that you can really get caught up in that sort of mentality where you think your whole life is measured by what happens at work. But when you reach my age, and get a chance to look back at your life, some perspective comes to light. When you tally up what that feeling of self-importance has cost you to lose, you start realizing that your family has gone through a lot of events and changes and growth that went right on by without notice.

Somewhere along the line some sense of balance has to be applied, or you will get up one morning and wonder where the hell life went, and what exactly happened while you placed all measures of importance on the job alone.

• Like 2

Of course I understand what your point is. I was made very well educated in the nuts and bolts of the free OT game while I was still employed. There was a time when promotions were based on expertise and knowledge and ability to actually perform at the next level. It was not based on how many hours they can scam out of you. There never was a column on my performance appraisal that tallied up how many hours of free OT that any employee worked. There are some like myself who might be suspicious of the abilities of those that cannot complete their work within the regular proscribed hours. Our performance appraisals related to how well you did your job, not on who works the most free time. To me that is just a measure of how easily you are manipulated, and not a measure of dedication or ability. Some of the most brilliant employees do not require extra hours to complete their tasks. They have learned how to be smart and efficient at their job. You mentioned working smarter and not harder. Well those that frequently require OT are not necessarily abiding by that philosophy. To me excessive levels of OT (mandatory or otherwise) are simply indications of poor management. And when it becomes a way of life as with some corporations, I believe that it goes beyond simple inadequate management of people and tasks and begins to represent intentional employee abuse.

I think we're on the same page. But for what it's worth, as a salary person I'm paid to do a job. If said job takes 50 hours a week or 38, i'm compenstated the same. If it takes 38, perhaps i can take on some more responsibility and earn a promotion. And maybe it only takes 38 because of my skill. To your point, yes promotions come with performance. But within performance is the ability to take on more. A smart man knows when he must push back. A smart man knows when the additional work wont get him anymore. There is no black and white answer to any of this, but simply... a person has to pick his own path.

Hard work will generally always pay off. Doing your best everyday will almost always pay off. But refusing to work a little harder, go above and beyond or to do the right thing because you don't feel compensated for it? That will never get you to the next level. And these are the employees who i would rather not work for me. You will not just get promoted for giggles. You need to earn it.

• Like 1