2014 Hunting NY Archery Harvest thread

WNYBuckHunter

Killed an 8pt buck tonight. I'm going to be crippled up as I had a long uphill drag and I swore I'd never drag another. :)

He's probably a 2.5 year old I'm guessing. I'll pull the lower jaw and see what the DEC has to say about it.

One of the biggest bucks weight wise I've ever killed, actually the third heavyset I think, he dressed out at 172 lbs.

The drag was about 200 yards. I took this pic as soon as I found him, no hero shots in the field. I'll grab some pics for the contest tomorrow.

image_zps7b12c094.jpg

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 36

9 point I took on state land in southern 9P on 10/16. Sitting in the middle of a bunch of oaks, he came out with two minutes left before sunset. Saw a total of 8 deer and a bear that day. First bear I've seen with my own eyes, awesome night. Barred owls talking like crazy as the day came to a close.

e3d5c14ffcf7fad15c2dd9d4bb507a57.jpgf794385000210aef01dbe7e0e6974c75.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Jmythngdmb
  • Like 22

So this year im lucky to be hunting deer to begin with, I blew out my knee earlier this year and am happy i got in the woods at all, After 4 months of nothing bigger than this guy on cam, He came by on wed. night so when he offered a quartering away shot i decided too take him, The arrow entered between the second to last rib and last rib on his left side and exited behind the shoulder on his right side, he took off on a death run and 35 yds later piled up, Im happy with him and extremely glad i own a deer cart,

post-2347-0-71997400-1414234797_thumb.jp

post-2347-0-14577900-1414234808_thumb.jp

• Like 18

10/20/14 11pt, 18.5" spread, 145 lbs dressed.  1986 Darton 30MX, Easton 2018, G5 Striker 125gr point, blue Nockturnal nock.  12yds from my stand.  His right antler looks like it has one monster brow tine but if you look closely the brow is up against my hand.  That's almost like a second beam on that side.

2014archery11_zpsd794487a.jpg

Edited by covert
  • Like 14

Got deer #2 with the Creed for the year last night.  nice doe came in just before dark.  passed on multiple other does because they came in minutes after one of the target bucks was able to skirt me in the thicket... about 15 yards, steep angel, only about 6 inches of penetration but got the artery running along the spine.... Rage Extreme did exactly what it was intended for 

post-2819-0-53149800-1414506473_thumb.jp

• Like 9

10/20/14 11pt, 18.5" spread, 145 lbs dressed.  1986 Darton 30MX, Easton 2018, G5 Striker 125gr point, blue Nockturnal nock.  12yds from my stand.  His right antler looks like it has one monster brow tine but if you look closely the brow is up against my hand.  That's almost like a second beam on that side.

2014archery11_zpsd794487a.jpg

Wouldn't let me edit to add the story so I guess I'll just add it this way.

I have a stand hanging on a small maple right in the middle of where three trails meet at an opening in a fence.  I got in my stand about 4pm Monday and watched squirrels for about an hour.  A little after 5 a yearling came under my stand followed shortly after by a big doe.  She caught me turning to check the noise and froze.  After staring at me for a minute or two she flipped her tail and was bounding away when I gave her a couple light grunts and stopped her.  When she turned back she couldn't figure out where I was so after a few more minutes she moseyed off.

Shortly I noticed some deer chasing each other around and figured I had a buck on a doe, but it was actually two does chasing each other through the woods.  They came in with 5 more does and drew in a 5pt buck from the opposite direction.  I had let this 5pt go the Wednesday before also so I let him go again. 

Now it's about 5 minutes to 6 and I am thinking that if I get down I will have time to get the boys in a bath and read them their bedtime stories when I hear a rustling in the leaves off to my right.  I first think 'squirrel' but then I hear a stick break and immediately amend that to 'deer'!  I was already standing so I sloooowwwwwwllllyyyy, one tiny step at a time swivel to my right to see a deer moving through the woods towards me.  It's just starting to dim enough in the woods that the color in the leaves isn't quite so bright when he steps into a small opening and I see the nice, typical 4 point side and decide that if he gives me a shot I'm taking it. 

He moves up under a small apple tree, thrashes the branches with his horns, makes a scrape right there and pees in it, then starts to make his way towards the opening in the fence.  One step, pause; one step, pause; one more step and he's going to be into a hole in the branches 12 yards away I had that 5pt standing in last week.  Since he started to move from under the tree I've had my bow drawn and that pin right tight behind his left shoulder.  When he stepped into that hole I don't even remember squeezing the trigger on my release but I saw that blue nock streaking towards him like a laser beam, hitting him just perfect behind the shoulder!  He took off running like a rabbit with that nock sticking out of him around me in a half circle and just after he went out of sight I heard a crash.  That's when I started getting excited, I searched every pocket, twice, for the phone.  When I finally found it I called my father and managed to stumble out something about shooting a buck, a nice buck, and to bring the truck.

He drives to the edge of the field and heads through the woods to me.  We started tracking him about 6:30 following little tiny drops of blood.  (If he'd been hit 3-4" lower he would've drained more out on the ground and given us a better trail.)  After about 20 yards I saw my nock glowing through the woods and headed right to it just to find the arrow stuck in the ground but no deer!  The crash I heard was him running into a top that was leftover from when the woods were logged, and by the scuffs in the leaves he fell and the arrow stuck in the dirt and pulled free.  By 7:55 we hit an apparent dead end in some swampy ferns and goldenrod and spent the next 10 minutes standing in one spot until I finally spotted a little blood on a goldenrod stem.  Just beyond it was my BUCK!  I eased up on him to make sure he was dead and saw his left horn up off the ground.  When I lifted his head I was so shocked I hollered and dropped it again. 

He never stopped to lay down, he just ran from where I hit him until he dropped, around 100 yards total.  Pretty darn good I'd say for being hit through both lungs and the off side shoulder.  Turns out he wasn't perfectly broadside but turned slightly away with the right foot forward so it caught that shoulder.

• Like 6

First archery deer / buck. Been hunting for about 17 years and had a few opportunities but could never connect. I started hunting a new property last year which is almost 70 acres mostly wooded with one big swamp and one small swamp. Saturday  I counted 5 different bucks, something I never encountered. First two bucks were a nice basket six and a beautiful ten behind him. They were about to come into a shooting lane but winded me and took off. One hour later another six snuck up on me while I was watching some turkeys and I was able to stand up and take a shot but misjudged the distance and it went under him. Went home for lunch by 12 and came back in by 130. Nothing in site all afternoon then out of nowhere off to my left walking along the swamp came a spike with a six behind him and literally came within 7 yards. They came in so fast and so close that I wasnt even going to attempt a shot because I figured they would see or smell me immediately.  The spike spotted me and ran out in front but the six got distracted for a second by the spike and gave me a chance to draw. Unfortunately as soon as I released the deer jumped forward and my shot went further back than I would have liked. Arrow didnt pass through and I watched him running with it for about 50 yards behind the rib cage. Of course he ran into the swamp and I couldnt hear him anymore. I let an hour and a half go by then got down and started looking for blood and of course could not find any. I went to the last spot I saw him and found my arrow with some blood and what looked like intestines. We briefly searched the swamp but it is near impossible at night so we decided to pull out and head back first thing in the morning. Long story short he made it through the swamp and found him on the other side with a gut/liver shot. First archery deer/buck. No monster but it felt great. Lots of big bucks under my belt with a gun but this one feels more accomplished.

post-639-0-35348100-1415030801_thumb.jpg

• Like 20

Second of the year with my Matthews in 7R. Hardest shot I've made so far ever in my third year bow hunting. He was angling from my right to behind my stand out of range. As he was finally close enough I had to stand up, turn to about 5 o'clock (not fall), draw, stop him walking, aim and shoot in just about one motion. Found him down 80 yards away.

post-5026-14153625389157_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Shot this wide 8 pt yesterday not long after getting in the stand around 9:30am. He was grunting and following a group of does. He walked into a clear lane at 30yds and I let a 125gr Sonic head fly, hitting him right behind the shoulder with a complete pass through.

He gave a slow short run before stopping and falling over. 

This wasnt his 1st time having an arrow flung at him as you can see the huge gash along his left side belly, took a nice chunk outta his rt leg too. Didnt slow him down a bit. 

Hes now my best buck to date with any weapon as he beats my 2010 bucks 18" inside width by over an 1"

The sharp rear molars tell me hes most likey 2.5 yo.

Local: Rockland co.

Bow: Martin Nemesis 35post-26-0-93954700-1415399053_thumb.jpgpost-26-0-27201900-1415399067_thumb.jpgpost-26-0-97124700-1415399108_thumb.jpgpost-26-0-89746000-1415399126_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mike DBH
  • Like 27

Only pictures with the associated story will be allowed in this thread. If you want to congratulate someone, please do it by clicking on the "like this" button for the post. There will be no exceptions.

Feel free to start a new thread if you wish to have comments in addition to posting the photo / story here.

Read this.

• Like 1