2014 Hunting NY Gun Season Harvest Thread

WNYBuckHunter

Post up pics of your 2014 gun season deer here!

Only pictures with the associated story will be allowed in this thread. If you want to congratulate someone, please do it by clicking on the "like this" button for the post. There will be no exceptions.

Feel free to start a new thread if you wish to have comments in addition to posting the photo / story here.

• 1 month later...

Adirondack 6pt.  Saturday afternoon in 5H about 100 yds with my Winchester 100 in .284 Winchester.  139gr Hornady Interlock BTSP with Varget.  1 shot in the neck dropped him like he was hit by a freight train.  Not a good picture of his rack though.

adk6pt_zps12aa63ed.jpg

• Like 16

The action started today before the sun came up, and I could hear and see silhouettes of deer chasing one ridge over from my blow down blind.
Not long after legal shooting time I looked over my shoulder and spotted another hunter in his stand about 200yds behind me. I was a little discouraged by that, but I sat tight for a little bit just to see what happens with all the early activity around.

Shortly after that I spotted a doe and two fawns coming at me from the opposite ridge. I thought about taking the lead doe but decided I wouldn't take a doe today. They made their way up the ridge and disappeared over the horizon.
A few minutes later, my buddy in the trees tand let a shot rip. When I turned around I could see a deer running off into the powerline goldenrod. Now I was pretty bummed and ready to pack it up..... but wait..... what's that familiar sound..... more deer coming!

Between us once again I saw 4 doe running right in front of my buddies stand and then I noticed a big wide buck was chasing them but I couldn't count his points. He ran right in front of the other guy, but he never shot and now this dude was coming right for me. He chased the doe behind me and stopped 40yds away but the damn fallen tree I was hiding behind was in the way for a clear shot. The doe hopped in the ravine and shot up the other side with the big wide guy in tow.

A few minutes later I hear another deer running where those deer had just gave chase to one another. It was a little 6 pt, but he was trailing them the wrong way. He ran by me at 40yds and I let him go.
Now I knew what was going on, so I slid over about 20yds to clear the branches from my blind and set up where I had a clear shot at that hot does path. Moments later I hear it again. Another deer following from the wrong direction. I got a good look at it on the opposite ridge and saw it was a nice buck so I got my hammer back and safety off. When he popped up on my side of the ridge he was only 20yds away and slightly quartering to me. I stopped him with my voice and let the hammer drop. He ran off the same way he came in.

I got on his trail and it absolutely sucked. Very little blood, and a tuft of hair. I followed for approximately 50yds and the blood had stopped. With all the deer running around, it was impossible to tell which tracks were his on the other side, and with no blood, that meant I had to follow them all!
I took the trail of what looked like his tracks for a while before deciding I didn't believe it was him any longer. I hopped on another set and had the same results.
I headed back to my blind to have a cup of coffee and chill out for a bit before hopping on another set.
After I cooled off I followed a set that headed down hill towards the power lines and as soon as I stepped in the goldenrod thicket, I spotted my buck laying 75yds inside it! Not a speck of blood from where I lost it, right up to his carcass, and I had good tracking snow this morning!
Very glad I found him, and now I'm taking a break!

large.jpg

large.jpg

Edited by wooly
  • Like 31

Shot this 6 pt. at 7:45 am this morning in  9m in Machias. Came down behind 4 doe that were other side of fallen tree but he was on side of me for a clear broadside shot. Went about 45 yards down ravine and piled up. Using my .270 Remington shooting 130 gr. Winchestor. Was happy to get him as this was my only day to get out due to hernia surgery this Monday.

post-2675-0-96556000-1416096522_thumb.jp

post-2675-0-29045500-1416096722_thumb.jp

post-2675-0-27619700-1416096788_thumb.jp

• Like 17

So here is the short story. I'm in the wood tower stand I built two years ago on our property in 3H. It overlooks a few ridges and has pretty good views. To my right there are pines and the deer seem to always travel out of the pines then take one of the ridges. So I hear some noises and see a doe running from a 4 ptr and then I saw a big body deeper in the pines but couldn't see a rack. All of an sudden the big one runs out and chases the 4. I still couldn't get a clean look at the rack. They ran off down the mountain a bit out of view. I was kind of upset I couldn't do a rack check on it.

Then 15 min later in see a doe on the ridge. Had the scope on her and then I saw a nice rack pop up and disappear. So another 5 min passes by and the 4 ptr came back. Well the 8 pointer didn't like that and showed his face again. I heard some stomping and then the 8 popped out at 80 yards out broadside 5 min later. And that's that!

This whole time I was on my knees so I could use my rail to stabilize my shot. The problem was the while stand was covered in ice and snow so moving quietly to reposition when they popped out again was a challenge.

First buck in a long time, well worth the wait! My heart was pounding for hours, actually it still is. Still can't wipe the smile off my face. My old man was so excited too.

post-2-14161531804467_thumb.jpg

post-2-14161532543838_thumb.jpg

post-2-14161532977942_thumb.jpg

post-2-14161535297261_thumb.jpg

• Like 28

Northern zone buck down. I hadn't had a lot of time to hunt this year and decided last night no matter what I was going to be in stand before sunrise this morning. Watched the squirrels from about 6:30 am until 7 am and then it seemed like everything dissappeared. Heard something move at 7:11 and assumed it was the squirrels again and this 6 point walked out. I took aim and let the 7mm08 do its work it ran about 40 yards and stopped and I aimed again and let another one fly and he went down. One shot hit both lungs and the other took out the heart.

3683c133b93ee18c2dd618cac4343a26.jpg

43c4ce044e8cfbc95bb0d8aaaf824549.jpg

Edited by noahmstone
  • Like 18

Didnt see anything saturday so i slept in a bit sunday and decided to take a walk out to my stand at about 9:30 am sunday morning. Around 10 a couple does came by taking their sweet time, then this guy was following behind. I got kicked out of a spot i had permission to hunt on saturday which is only reason i went to this other spot on sunday, guess everything does happen for a reason cuz theres noway i  woulda been there if i hadn't been asked not to hunt where i was seeing more deer. I consider this guy quite the bruiser for my area, and my biggest buck yet! 7F

IMG_4012_zps772243e4.jpg

IMG_4007_zpsee0dc6bd.jpg

Edited by stubbz
  • Like 25

16 year old daughter's first deer. Shot it at ~20 yards, he went less then 50 before dropping. Single lung shot.

Right side is 4 points, left side broken off above brow tine.

Smile on her face says it all.

4549beefb696c81a5acfa0f8e785218b.jpg

Edited by JJBat150
  • Like 24