458 Win Mag Handloads

airedale

I have quite a bit of experience from the 80s loading the 458 back when I owned my Ruger 77, my main bullet was the Speer 400 gr and IMR3031 powder. The loading was a recommended accuracy load out of my old original Lyman manual which for me has proven to be at the very least a good starting point. Did not have a chronograph back then so I never checked the velocity but the accuracy was spot on and I was amazed at the kind of 100 yard groups I was getting with those big flat nose bullets. I had a bunch of old Barnes copper jacket pointed soft points but never messed with them because they had no cannelure for a crimp which is recommended so I never used them until I started loading for the 45-70 cartridge which also uses IMR3031 powder and getting wonderful accuracy. With the single shot Encore I will not have to worry about a bullet creeping forward in it's case from recoil while in a magazine so the 400 gr Barnes bullets were loaded along with the 400 gr Speers, the 350 gr Hornadys and the 500 gr Hornadys.

But here it the oddball kicker in all of this, all my research through at least a dozen manuals and some online recommendations for best overall accuracy and velocity use the same powder charge for all 4 bullets weights including Ken Waters pet loads manual.

I went with the experts and can not wait to see how this stuff shoots. The scope and rings will be here today or tomorrow and if this stinking snow stops and we get a bit better shooting weather the blasting can begin.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Daveboone said:

My 45-70 (Browning falling block) loves 3031 with a 350 g. Speer Round nose. I think I would rather not know how the Encore bucks with the big .458.

Both my Marlin 95 and the Thompson Center Encore show very good accuracy with the 350 gr Barnes pointed soft point and the 350 gr Hornady round nose and 3031 powder. I have to say I was somewhat surprised on how tight the groups are with these big bores, I just never thought of them being tack drivers but with the right setup up they are pretty fair shooters.

Al