Lately defending why I hunt

bowtech2

Today at work I was talking to someone about hunting. Someone has to butt in. Saying one day I will have to answer to god cause I hunt. I said I will be proud to. This is second time I had to do this in last few weeks. I've been hunting for 24yrs. Never once have I had to defend hunting until lately. Has anyone else had to do this lately?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in NYC so ive had to defend it a few times. Im getting a little tired of it honestly! I mean its ok if someone has an open mind about it but some people go into the convo with it in their head that hunting is wrong and nothing can stop that. Although i will say that i deal with more people generally interested to talk about something that they don't know about. The worst is when its someone who eats meat them selves though. 

Edited by ATbuckhunter

Last spring I stopped in to a local flea market that I have been going to for a few years now. I have gotten to know this one vender, well enough to say hello and shoot the bull for a minute or two.

This trip the vender had some hunting items for sale. Two tree stands, some knives fanny packs etc….I picked out a decent box call. Then the vender starts on me. She says "don't tell me you hunt" "You seem like such a nice guy" She starts rolling her eyes and shaking her head in disapproval. I ask her why she is selling hunting equipment if she is so against hunting. Her only reply was that SHE doesn't use the stuff to kill animals. We went back and forth, but it was civil. 

She doesn't talk to me as much anymore, but  when I stop in,  I make it a point to always ask her if she has any hunting gear for sale. LOL!! She just grins...

• Like 2

I can't ever remember having to defend why I hunt, most people that know me don't engage me in these conversations, and unless someone's a true vegetarian, I'm not going to bother with a stupid debate like that.

I DO recall a kook of a co-worker trying to give me a hard time because my kids were in the Boy Scouts of all things, she said it was a far-right wing orginization that shuns atheists, teaches kids archery and firearms (and therefore,violence),and was homophobic. Takes all kinds I guess. :wacko: 

I usually respond with "OK, he is the one who gave me permission!"  NEXT!  

I will not tolerate idiots, one reason I wear my camo hat all the time is to let EVERYONE know I hunt and I am proud of it.  (I defend hunting, and try to educate the misguided of the world.)  And I will debate hunting with anyone, idiots I spend little time with because well they are idiots.  Kind of like internet forums you can argue all you want and state facts but idiots will still say your wrong. lol  

Some facts:

We contribute billions in taxes to preserve our parks.

Hunting industry provides over 600,000 jobs.

We have managed the lands to be better for all the animals.

We started the go GREEN many years ago but we called it conservation.

We do not fence in our yards to keep animals out we plant for the animals.

WHAT HAVE YOU, the non hunter contributed?  WOW you purchased a green card, good for you.

I respect others opinions but ask that they respect mine.  As a dedicated hunter I feel I represent hunting well and have little tolerance for the ignorant, misguided and ill informed.

• Like 1

If they eat any kind they are a hypocrite. Hunting will always be legal, so I really couldn't care less what the misguided, uninformed, ignorant anti-hunters say.  They are the ones missing out and that only means more for us, right? There was a picture post I shared on facebook that said "hunting season is starting this week, anyone who is offended by me posting pictures of my kills is free and clear to delete me as a friend".  If it's a friend of a friend or just some irritating person poking at me with a stick I have 'special' pictures I then post just for them. I will demonstrate. Now keep in mind I only post these for the reaallly hard core annoying anti's, if it's an 'on the fence' non hunter I do not show them these. deerliver_zps898c3229.jpg

bowtech2, on 30 Sept 2014 - 2:04 PM, said:

Today at work I was talking to someone about hunting. Someone has to butt in. Saying one day I will have to answer to god cause I hunt. I said I will be proud to. This is second time I had to do this in last few weeks. I've been hunting for 24yrs. Never once have I had to defend hunting until lately. Has anyone else had to do this lately?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll give you worse.....

More than a few times I have had to defend myself when posting or in person of hunts I have done out of NY.....

By other hunters!

Folks that are supposed to understand that hunting promotes conservation in all countries, not just NY deer.

I'm done with the forum reports in large part due to the fact folks can't get their head wrapped around the idea that hunting is more than whitetail.

• Like 2

If they eat any kind they are a hypocrite. Hunting will always be legal, so I really couldn't care less what the misguided, uninformed, ignorant anti-hunters say.  They are the ones missing out and that only means more for us, right? There was a picture post I shared on facebook that said "hunting season is starting this week, anyone who is offended by me posting pictures of my kills is free and clear to delete me as a friend".  If it's a friend of a friend or just some irritating person poking at me with a stick I have 'special' pictures I then post just for them. I will demonstrate. Now keep in mind I only post these for the reaallly hard core annoying anti's, if it's an 'on the fence' non hunter I do not show them these. deerliver_zps898c3229.jpg

I guarantee that if you leave these photos online, including on this forum, that anti-hunters will find them and repost them and use you as an example.

I live on LI and work in NYC. A very strict place for gun control. I have never had to defend hunting in way some of you talk about. In fact most of my city friend are curious to the whole process and have asked to try venison. So gun control and Cuomo have nothing to do with it. Posting pictures like the ones in this thread just give us a bad name.

Edited by First-light
  • Like 1