Lately defending why I hunt

bowtech2

Anti-hunters are a peculiar breed who like to believe that they are a super evolved, enlightened, superior version of humanity who have risen above the barbaric level of the low-brow hunting version of humanity. Just like any other pretentious person, they have concocted this self-deluded vision of themselves as being examples of the very best that humanity has to offer. Things like logic and cold facts really will not change their needed views of self-importance. So I seldom engage them in these kinds of discussions. Their mindset will never be changed because it would involve them admitting that this concocted self image has been totally off the mark. That is not likely to happen. Their entire personality is based on that delusion.

• Like 3

It's very hard to explain rocket science to someone that is not a rocket scientist... not engaging antis is the best way to handle their nonsense... I will however defend hunting to those who have never hunted and are trying to understand the attraction, but are not necessarily anti-hunting... there is no sense in having a conversation with someone that has already decided they don't want to listen... Doc hit it on the head... I can only add that antis, like liberals, have this notion that they can someday lead us all to Utopia which clouds there ability to see reality... it is very hard to have a realistic conversation with these kind of people... so I won't.

I guarantee that if you leave these photos online, including on this forum, that anti-hunters will find them and repost them and use you as an example.

Yes, and I will remove them just making a statement that I will not curb or hide any fact that I hunt just to appease a bunch of hypocritical douchbags that think they are better than we are, purely out of ignorance. The people I was referring to are the ones that CAN'T be reasoned with, far as I'm concerned they can kiss my camo'd ass!!!!

Hmmm.... can't find where to pull them off the topic, but oh well, I can take pictures of them holding their stupid signs too, who the  cares? I live and breath where we FAR outnumber them & I refuse to bow down to them because I'm afraid of 'offending them'. It's gutting a deer, oh my...... hope I don't offend anyone with my processing of my food..... sheeeeeesh!!!!   I remember years ago a family member of mine & the other hunting families on the road had an awful problem with a neighbor that was 110% treehuggin' vegan moron who was trespassing on everyone's land and leaving diapers with some kind of repellant in them buried in the leaves at blinds and stands. When this family member had his land logged, the guy took a dump in the skidder that was parked in the woods right on the seat. He actually worked for DEC, not as an ECO, but made the mistake of confronting a friend of my Uncle's on OUR land and told him he was trespassing and he needed to come with him because he was an ECO, even flashed a fake badge. Well the friend of my uncle was a NYS trooper & immediately recognized the badge as phoney and arrested the guy for impersonating a police officer!  Karma comin' at ya!!!! So as I said I really couldn't give 2 turds what they do or say.

Edited by WNYBuckHunter
cleaned up the language a bit, please stick to the site rules.

I try not to engage with idiots, usually after 5 min of stating facts about hunting gives me the impression of the type of person they are.  95% of the time they understand the logic, the other 5% are the vegan idiots that have this self righteous I am better than you attitude and the conversation ends. (see Doc's post above)  They tend to avoid me.  (I figure my 5"10, 170 lbs of fat scares them, LMAO!)  Vegans are frail.

LI is a perfect example of why deer hunting is needed. 

When I explain:  If I do not kill doe a federal sniper will, the attitude of most changes.  I tell how federal snipers baiting at night have no clue about how to hunt compared to the deer hunter who bow hunts and how a few snipers have no chance at denting the population of 35,000 deer vs the thousands of bow hunters available.  How much safer bow hunter vs snipers with high powered rifles are.  How we hunters use the meat vs leaving deer in the woods because they do not have enough volunteers.  I also use the "free range and organic" like Loworange88 stated.  I explain the circle of life for those who are really interested in getting involved, something the vegan will never understand.

PS: Sorry if I am going out in left field the past few days, I am recovering from a bad cold/fever. 

Ewwwwww how can you eat a cute bunny rabbit!!!

Once again the liberals are blamed for anti hunting crap. I have found that on Long Island it has nothing to do with political views and more to do with how you're raised to respect and treat animals. My folks came from the old country and raise rabbits and chickens in Brooklyn for food. My parents taught me to respect and treat humanely the animal I'm using for food. I was NOT taught that rabbits are pets. The fact is in our highly mechanized world most people have been removed from the idea that the red stuff under the plastic at the supermarket called meat is from an animal. None of us will go hungry if we don't hunt and that aspect alone distances us from where or how our food is obtained. If you want to blame someone blame the food companies that process food beyond the ability to recognize what animal it came from while selling us a false image of a farm raised animal. Finally, the cuteness of the animal hurts hunters. As people who have little real contact with wildlife venture from their urban enclaves they carry with them the idiot notion that these (hunted) animals need protection from hunters. These same people don't mind throwing a live lobster into a pot but cry at the aspect of hunting.

Don't blame the liberal blame the idiot who first brought home a rabbit as a pet!

On a side note I am often asked if I enjoy gutting and plucking/Skinning my chicken or rabbits. WTF??? no one really enjoys doing it but I tell them I do enjoy the satisfaction of knowing I know how and can do it. While they starve!

Hmmm.... can't find where to pull them off the topic, but oh well, I can take pictures of them holding their stupid signs too, who the ' cares? I live and breath where we FAR outnumber them & I refuse to bow down to them because I'm afraid of 'offending them'. It's gutting a deer, oh my...... hope I don't offend anyone with my processing of my food..... sheeeeeesh!!!!   I remember years ago a family member of mine & the other hunting families on the road had an awful problem with a neighbor that was 110% treehuggin' vegan moron who was trespassing on everyone's land and leaving diapers with some kind of repellant in them buried in the leaves at blinds and stands. When this family member had his land logged, the took a in the skidder that was parked in the woods right on the seat. He actually worked for DEC, not as an ECO, but made the mistake of confronting a friend of my Uncle's on OUR land and told him he was trespassing and he needed to come with him because he was an ECO, even flashed a fake badge. Well the friend of my uncle was a NYS trooper & immediately recognized the badge as phoney and arrested the for impersonating a police officer!  Karma comin' at ya!!!! So as I said I really couldn't give 2 turds what they do or say.

I can remove them if you want, pm me if so.

If you met me in the street, you would have no idea I hunt. Not to say I'm a closet hunter because anyone who asks me if I do, I tell them I hunt. I also tell some who I think are a little more open minded that I do. I simply don't throw it in their faces flamboyantly.

You would be surprised how many of these people are also open minded if you approach them in a more warm and subtle matter.

I have a friend I haven't spoken to since high school. I met him for lunch 6 years ago to catch up and found out he became an animal loving vegetarian. No contact since then. I then had lunch with him again a month ago and that's when I told him I took up hunting. I then explained to him the mind set of an ethical hunter and how we view the environment. I also explained to him how what's best for an entire species and Eco-system may not be what's best for a single individual animal. This vegetarian now has no problems with hunting. While he said he won't do it himself, he respects the views of those who do.

I am sure there are also a ton out there that are not as reasonable and open minded but there are some that are. You will never find out of you hit them with an arrogant approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hmmm.... can't find where to pull them off the topic, but oh well, I can take pictures of them holding their stupid signs too, who the cares? I live and breath where we FAR outnumber them & I refuse to bow down to them because I'm afraid of 'offending them'. It's gutting a deer, oh my...... hope I don't offend anyone with my processing of my food..... sheeeeeesh!!!!   I remember years ago a family member of mine & the other hunting families on the road had an awful problem with a neighbor that was 110% treehuggin' vegan moron who was trespassing on everyone's land and leaving diapers with some kind of repellant in them buried in the leaves at blinds and stands. When this family member had his land logged, the took a in the skidder that was parked in the woods right on the seat. He actually worked for DEC, not as an ECO, but made the mistake of confronting a friend of my Uncle's on OUR land and told him he was trespassing and he needed to come with him because he was an ECO, even flashed a fake badge. Well the friend of my uncle was a NYS trooper & immediately recognized the badge as phoney and arrested the  for impersonating a police officer!  Karma comin' at ya!!!! So as I said I really couldn't give 2 turds what they do or say.

hahaha CAN YOU SAY BUSTED!!!!lol

One thing I never could do with a straight face was to try to convince people that I hunt to control deer populations. I do not go out with a mindset that today I am going to engage in population control. My hunting has to do with putting away some venison, and with matching wits with what I consider one of the more formidable competitors of the woods. And there is also an attitude of a self-sufficiency, heritage and cultural element to my hunting.

But while population control is not a motivator, it definitely is a by-product of what I consider my natural predatory set of genetics. And I completely consider man to be part of the meat-eating predatory members of the animal kingdom. I don't apologize for that and I don't pretend that I hunt as some benevolent act of conservation. Conservation is simply a natural outcome of my recreational hunting. But it doesn't do any harm to explain the beneficial aspects of hunting and what the negative consequences are if there were no hunters as long as you don't rely 100% on that aspect for changing minds. People can see right through that.  

On a positive note, when my son got his first Deer last year, I had posted the pic on Facebook and tagged him in it.  Over the next several days, a lot of kids came up to him saying it was a cool deer, gun & that they also hunted.  My son had no idea that many kids also participated in this great pastime.

I work in a private mental health hospital here in NY and when I first started I thought I wouldn't connect with many of my co-workers when it came to the topic of hunting. I was actually very surprised that regardless of the overall liberal/democrat atmosphere many of my co-workers were more curious than against it. I actually have a few bags of venison to bring in this season for a few people that would like to try it. I have only had one person give me a problem and I ended it quickly, using facts. She went on to tell me how she feeds deer in her back yard and how they are her pets and that she would be very upset if a hunter killed one of her "babies". 

I went in depth with her on how supplementally feeding deer can actually cause far more harm to them during the winter months than good. I also went into detail how we as hunters are the ambassadors for conservation and that without hunting and the financial fallout from hunting, most animals would be in a far worse state than they are in today. Regardless of those facts, our "conversations" are limited at best to keeping the peace. Some people will never use logic over emotional thinking and I do not contribute this to which political party you are part of since I actually know quite a few dems/libs that hunt, own guns, etc. In my opinion it has more to do with intellect and the ability to have a mind that is open to change when facts are put in your face. 

• Like 1

I work in a VERY liberal office, have arguments all the time about various topics but hunting isn't one of them. Id wear a hunting hat to work in a suit if I pleased and no one would have anything crazy to say about it.

mind you I know there are people on my job who are opposed to hunting and I keep the convo to a respectable minimum about hunting, they say what did you do this weekend I say I was out enjoying nature hehe.

but even the ones who say they kept deer as pets ( which i think is wrong ) respect the fact that i hunt, especially when i say i love the meat. course up until now its been hookup and farm raised venison.  

this post is making me want a nice juicy steak. gotta bag me a deer

Edited by Vince1

You tell them the FACTS:  In the early 1900's the Deer population was less than 500,000.  due to good wild life management programs (Hunting) we have over 15 Million deer nation wide. Or you can tell them, Nobody contibutes more to the growth of our  wildlife  than hunters, What have they done?

Edited by Renegade