Any Deer Butchers in Nassau County?

antzhunt

• 2 weeks later...

I used the one in Farmingdale, and the one in Oakdale. I have had good & bad experiences with both. One has a freezer, one does not. If it's a warm day, I know which butcher I will be using. If it's a semi warm day, and the guy without the freezer has 10 deer in front of you..... I get paranoid. That's just me.

One guy uses butcher paper, the other vacuum packs. I actually like the butcher paper better.

I have thrown away meat from both butchers. Some meat had a nasty taste, and I couldn't place what was wrong. Sometimes, I think the vacuum process leaves a nasty smell of sulfur.

Last year, I'm sure I Got back my meat, it tasted great, and it was vacuum packed. I think the stars need to be aligned for everything to turn out right.

Just my $ .02, butcher your own if at all possible whenever possible. Some of these guys have 30-40+ deer lined up in a row. No way of knowing if your actually getting your meat back. If your not, did the other guy use as much precaution keeping carcass cold?

I understand it's not always possible to do yourself, but IMO it's way better

Last year, opening day, it was 68 degrees out.     My deer was on ice 2 miles into the ride home.     The butcher told me.  "I'm the only one who ever filled a tub of ice, and stuck the deer on ice, over & under"   I brought like 10 bags of ice, and had the deer in a plastic tub.      He then told me, many deer he's gets to butcher, are rotten, and he dumps them.     apparently people don't know better.

• 4 weeks later...

How is fins to feathers. I called and spoke to the guy and he told me if I harvested a deer to just put my name on it and drop it behind the barn. That didn't sound to good to me. Has anyone used them or no of another in the LI area?

I own Fins to Feathers. I am the one you spoke to...I process about 200 deer per season, and all my regular customers leave deer at any time back by the garage. I can't possibly be home at all hours between October 1st and January 31, so if you need to drop off a deer and I'm not there at the time, just make sure you leave your phone # with the animal so I can call you when it's ready, usually same day or next. Not alot of processers on the island, be careful where you take your deer. Just because somebody has a big shop filled with mounts bought at estate auctions doesn't mean he is trustworthy...Good Hunting...Rich

• Like 2

Just my $ .02, butcher your own if at all possible whenever possible. Some of these guys have 30-40+ deer lined up in a row. No way of knowing if your actually getting your meat back. If your not, did the other guy use as much precaution keeping carcass cold?

I understand it's not always possible to do yourself, but IMO it's way better

Actually, it's pretty easy...the reciept number is written on a tag that gets affixed to the animal's rear leg. That leg/tag stays with the animal through the entire process, and the tag is put in the box with your meat. The tag# is then written on the box. I have butchered 200 deer per season for 20 years now, and have never mixed up any deer. That's my system, but I can't speak for how others do it.

Personally, I think hunters are overly paranoid that thier deer is going to be switched with another somehow...like I said, if you have a decent system, it's all good.

• Like 1

Actually, it's pretty easy...the reciept number is written on a tag that gets affixed to the animal's rear leg. That leg/tag stays with the animal through the entire process, and the tag is put in the box with your meat. The tag# is then written on the box. I have butchered 200 deer per season for 20 years now, and have never mixed up any deer. That's my system, but I can't speak for how others do it.

Personally, I think hunters are overly paranoid that thier deer is going to be switched with another somehow...like I said, if you have a decent system, it's all good.

Good to know Rich thanks. Glad 2 see you on here.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Newbie here and land I saw this thread and thought "yea, where is there a deer processor/butcher".

So, are there any deer processors/butchers in Nassau county? names, addresses and telephone #s would be appreciated.

I maybe getting ahead of myself, but like the boyscouts say.... Always be prepared.