Coyote hunting is about to be messed with in NY to protect wolves.

From the article:

Some of the coyote management reforms that are needed to protect wolves include:

• The coyote hunting season should be reformed. Currently, it’s a 6-month season with 24 hour a day hunting, with no daily or seasonal bag limits. Hunters can kill as many coyotes as they please.
  • As part of the coyote season reform, all wild canids taken in the state should be checked and tagged.
  • Wild canids that are taken that have a weight greater than 50 pounds or that meet additional criteria established by the Department should be subjected to a DNA analysis. Tests that show a large canid is a wolf should be investigated to see if other wolves remain in the area where the animal was killed.
  • Coyote hunting should be for a season of no longer than ninety days, and the hunting of coyotes by night should be prohibited. The Department should establish bag limits for coyotes and shall establish size limitations for the taking of coyotes.
  • DEC should modify its hunting and trapping training curriculum to include educational information concerning the presence of wolves in the state, the legal protections for wolves, the checking and tagging requirements for wild canids, and how to distinguish a wolf from a coyote when a hunter or trapper is in the field.
  • DEC needs to solicit information from the public about wolf sightings in New York State and investigate reported wolf sightings.

The next wolf that wanders into New York should be protected, not allowed to be accidentally killed.

NYSDEC Now Admits Cooperstown Wolf Was A Wild Wolf - - The Adirondack Almanack

It isn't mentioned here, but you can bet the DEC will look to prosecute anyone who kills a wolf they thought was a coyote.  I heard they are charging the man in Cooperstown with an illegal wolf kill.

Edited by Grouse

15 minutes ago, First-light said:

What article and from where? Do we really need wolves here lol. 

At this point in time the title of this thread is nothing more than hyperbole (BS). It's just people spouting off on some web sites on what they think needs to happen. One wolf here and people go crazy and want hunting reform while others just spread the propaganda.

Links to a couple sites babbling about this:

https://www.adirondackalmanack.com/2023/03/nysdec-now-admits-cooperstown-wolf-was-a-wild-wolf.html#:~:text=Some of the coyote management,daily or seasonal bag limits.

https://projectcoyote.org/programs/carnivore-conservation-coexistence/protect-americas-wolves/

https://www.protectadks.org/nysdec-now-admits-cooperstown-wolf-was-a-wild-wolf/

• Like 2

Don't be so sure of yourself, I saw Bear hunting with dogs get shut down by a moron Governor who watched a movie and based his decision on it, that with the "just people (ANIMAL RIGHTS GROUPS) spouting off on what they think needs to happen".

When you have Democrats running the show nothing would surprise me.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 4

It's not just one wolf.  Many are being reported, but only one has been killed, so far. 

NY is being pressured big time because the wolf is federally protected.  It's not hyperbole, it is happening.  NY may decide not to change anything, but considering all that NY has done in the past, it's a pretty good bet it will look to change the coyote hunting laws.  I remember when people didn't think coyote hunting contests would be messed with too.

Hunters need to get in front of this thing if they want to keep coyote laws they way they are.

• Like 1

Yeah but I would like to know where the article came from. Do we know anything about the credentials of the author? Is it  a person of any authority or just a letter to the editor from some PETA person. Is it some article off somebody's website? Or is it something from a high ranking Dec official? It makes a big difference as to how seriously anyone should take the contents of the article.

One thing you want to be very careful about is to not elevate some random comment from some "nobody" and creating an issue out of something that nobody else would ever otherwise read.

I'm not saying that it is not interesting and useful to keep an eye on what the opposition is thinking. Just be careful about elevating a single isolated random set of thoughts into a forum for spreading the idea.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DirtTime said:

At this point in time the title of this thread is nothing more than hyperbole (BS). It's just people spouting off on some web sites on what they think needs to happen. One wolf here and people go crazy and want hunting reform while others just spread the propaganda.

Links to a couple sites babbling about this:

https://www.adirondackalmanack.com/2023/03/nysdec-now-admits-cooperstown-wolf-was-a-wild-wolf.html#:~:text=Some of the coyote management,daily or seasonal bag limits.

https://projectcoyote.org/programs/carnivore-conservation-coexistence/protect-americas-wolves/

https://www.protectadks.org/nysdec-now-admits-cooperstown-wolf-was-a-wild-wolf/

Just look at Minnesota if you have any doubts. The idiot democrats are destroying the Deer and about every other four legged creature trying to protect these useless vermin. The last thing Ny needs are wolves and i’m sure the season would be 24/7 every day of every year for those also by many. 

13 hours ago, Doc said:

Yeah but I would like to know where the article came from. Do we know anything about the credentials of the author? Is it  a person of any authority or just a letter to the editor from some PETA person. Is it some article off somebody's website? Or is it something from a high ranking Dec official? It makes a big difference as to how seriously anyone should take the contents of the article.

One thing you want to be very careful about is to not elevate some random comment from some "nobody" and creating an issue out of something that nobody else would ever otherwise read.

I'm not saying that it is not interesting and useful to keep an eye on what the opposition is thinking. Just be careful about elevating a single isolated random set of thoughts into a forum for spreading the idea.

This is the author:

684.jpg

Peter Bauer

Peter Bauer is the Executive Director of Protect the Adirondacks.He has been working in various capacities on Adirondack Park environmental issues since the mid-1980s, including stints as the Executive Director of the Residents' Committee to Protect the Adirondacks and FUND for Lake George as well as on the staff of the Commission on the Adirondacks in the Twenty-First Century. He also worked at Adirondack Life Magazine. He served as Chair of the Town of Lake George Zoning Board of Appeals and has served on numerous advisory boards for management of the Adirondack Park and Forest Preserve. Peter lives in Blue Mountain Lake with his wife and two children, enjoys a wide variety of outdoor recreational activities throughout the Adirondacks, and is a member of the Blue Mountain Lake volunteer fire department.Follow Protect the Adirondacks on Facebook and Twitter.

This is the publisher of the article:

THE ADIRONDACK ALMANACK

The Adirondack Almanack is a public forum dedicated to promoting and discussing current events, history, arts, nature and outdoor recreation and other topics of interest to the Adirondacks and its communities

We publish commentary and opinion pieces from voluntary contributors, as well as news updates and event notices from area organizations. Contributors include veteran local writers, historians, naturalists, and outdoor enthusiasts from around the Adirondack region. The information, views and opinions expressed by these various authors are not necessarily those of the Adirondack Almanack or its publisher, the Adirondack Explorer.

You can find this info at the bottom of the article when you click on the attached link in the first post and open it.  You can bet your last dollar these folks lobby DEC for changes when they want them.  I suspect DEC has been trying to avoid admitting wolves are in NY so they would not have to deal with the demands they know will come from wolf advocates.

23 hours ago, airedale said:

Don't be so sure of yourself, I saw Bear hunting with dogs get shut down by a moron Governor who watched a movie and based his decision on it,

Hunting with dogs has been under attack for years by anti-hunting  activists who see it as low hanging fruit.  It is a strategic means to an end. You win over emotional  people, the voting public who will view chasing poor little fuzzy animals as cruel, put an end to this form of hunting, and then work your way up the hunting ladder. 

Even if they are not able to legally put an end to it, their efforts have been already been successful  in my opinion when it comes to having a negative impact on hunting with dogs. It's a very common complaint that land access has become much more difficult, with landowners either viewing it negatively, worries over liability,  or just not wanting the perceived hassle of hunters and their dogs on their property. 

While I don't have beagles now, I did for decades. And, as a landowner myself, I much more welcome hunters and their handlers on my property with my permission, than the random neighborhood "pets" chasing deer past me while I'm on stand. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Grouse said:

This is the author:

684.jpg

Peter Bauer

Peter Bauer is the Executive Director of Protect the Adirondacks.He has been working in various capacities on Adirondack Park environmental issues since the mid-1980s, including stints as the Executive Director of the Residents' Committee to Protect the Adirondacks and FUND for Lake George as well as on the staff of the Commission on the Adirondacks in the Twenty-First Century. He also worked at Adirondack Life Magazine. He served as Chair of the Town of Lake George Zoning Board of Appeals and has served on numerous advisory boards for management of the Adirondack Park and Forest Preserve. Peter lives in Blue Mountain Lake with his wife and two children, enjoys a wide variety of outdoor recreational activities throughout the Adirondacks, and is a member of the Blue Mountain Lake volunteer fire department.Follow Protect the Adirondacks on Facebook and Twitter.

This is the publisher of the article:

THE ADIRONDACK ALMANACK

The Adirondack Almanack is a public forum dedicated to promoting and discussing current events, history, arts, nature and outdoor recreation and other topics of interest to the Adirondacks and its communities

We publish commentary and opinion pieces from voluntary contributors, as well as news updates and event notices from area organizations. Contributors include veteran local writers, historians, naturalists, and outdoor enthusiasts from around the Adirondack region. The information, views and opinions expressed by these various authors are not necessarily those of the Adirondack Almanack or its publisher, the Adirondack Explorer.

You can find this info at the bottom of the article when you click on the attached link in the first post and open it.  You can bet your last dollar these folks lobby DEC for changes when they want them.  I suspect DEC has been trying to avoid admitting wolves are in NY so they would not have to deal with the demands they know will come from wolf advocates.

Yeah, this is what I was afraid of. It is something from a forum that has very small distribution, and we are expanding the ideas stated in that opinion piece for them. Certainly we have to keep an eye on such nonsense, but we really do not have to give it further credibility and coverage by repeating it. That is how a lot of these things gain momentum and become a real live issue. If these ideas are going to get picked up and begin to gather some kind of momentum among people of authority who can actually make such nonsense become law, let's not be the ones that help it all gain public conversation. 

At least that's the way I see it. Let it fade back into oblivion where it started.

I'm pretty sure it sprang from oblivion once that guy posted pictures of the wolf he shot all over the internet.  The public has been made aware of wolves in NY now, so putting the genie back in the bottle is not going to happen anytime soon.  I think it's best to be prepared for an attack.

53 minutes ago, New York Hillbilly said:

Hunting with dogs has been under attack for years by anti-hunting  activists who see it as low hanging fruit.

Over the past few years California has banned hunting just about everything one would hunt with dogs, add the traditional ammo ban to a host of other garbage laws they have passed and hunting period has been flushed down the toilet out there. 

Al

43 minutes ago, Grouse said:

The public has been made aware of wolves in NY now, so putting the genie back in the bottle is not going to happen anytime soon.  I think it's best to be prepared for an attack.

Wise words that can and should be more broadly applied. Wolves, coyotes, and all things we don't like to admit are here until forced too, when they threaten our way of life. 

Over the past 50 years, the number of hunting licenses in California has been on a rapid decline, falling 70% from more than 760,000 in the 1970s to under 268,000 in 2020—even as the state's population has skyrocketed.

A look at who runs the state tells everything you need to know.

Al

• Like 2