Practical Hunting Accuracy

Pygmy

I've been getting some trigger time on my .280 preparing for my mule deer hunt in Colorado the first week of November.

I shot some groups today at my buddy's private range, at 100 yards, 225 yards,and 300 yards.

All of my shots were within the kill zone of a deer...

With a 140 grain 7mm TTSX I was 2.5" high at 100, dead nuts at 225 and about 7 inches low at 300. groups measured 2" @ 100yd, 3" @ 225yd and 4"@ 300 yd.

Velocity averages a measured 2950fps.

My rifle, a M70 Lightweight in .280 Rem has never been a tackdriver, averaging

1.5" to 2" groups at 100 yards, but she shoots "minute of ribcage" at all practical shooting ranges and she's a proven KILLER..

A rifle that shoots tiny one hole groups at 100 yds is a nice "bragging" rifle on the range, but that kind of super precision accuracy is not necessary for a HUNTING rifle at the ranges that most of us shoot at game.

I've never been on an out of state hunt (NJ don't count) so I don't know what it's like to hunt an animal from long expanses but I come from the school of thought that if you want to see if you can hit something from 500-600 yards out simply because you want to see if you can hit something that far then why not simply shoot at a paper target?

When you're dealing with a animal that will run when it detects you then isn't the test to see how close you can get?

All you need to know is what your "minute of ribcage" distance is stalk into that range.

Have fun out there.  I'm jealous.

With a 140 grain 7mm TTSX I was 2.5" high at 100, dead nuts at 225 and about 7 inches low at 300. groups measured 2" @ 100yd, 3" @ 225yd and 4"@ 300 yd.

It seems you concentrate more at longer range.  A 2" group at 100 yards is fine for hunting, but that should translate into 6" groups at 300 yards.  Your 300 yard shooting is above average with 4" groups.

I've seen this before and it always intrigues me.  Some say the bullets stabilize after 100 yards, but I think the shooter just concentrates more on his technique when shooting long range.

What do you think it is?

Day in and day out, a 6" group at 300 is more representative of that rifle.

On any given day, if I hold my mouth right, the rifle may group close to one inch at 100, but day in and day out a 2 inch group at that range is more typical.

I guess my point was that a rifle does not need to shoot tiny little "bragging" groups in order to be an effective hunting tool, even at relatively long ranges.

I've never been on an out of state hunt (NJ don't count) so I don't know what it's like to hunt an animal from long expanses but I come from the school of thought that if you want to see if you can hit something from 500-600 yards out simply because you want to see if you can hit something that far then why not simply shoot at a paper target?

When you're dealing with a animal that will run when it detects you then isn't the test to see how close you can get?

All you need to know is what your "minute of ribcage" distance is stalk into that range.

Getting closer often depends on cover/terrain...In some areas with sparse cover and flat ground, it's difficult enough to get within 250-300 yards.

Also, a good solid shooting position is often much more important than shortening the range.

I would rather take a 250-300 yard from a rock solid rest than an offhand shot at 75 yards any day.

I'm no expert, but I've been on a handful of hunts (mulie and pronghorn) where long-range shots were the norm. 500-600 yards is definitely stretching it, most guys don't have the equipment or ability to make shots like this, and if they do, often they end badly. But, given the terrain & eyesight of these animals, getting closer than 200 yards is pretty difficult (not impossible, but not the norm). Anyone who does go on a hunt like this should practice until they're able to hit a deer-sized target in the chest at 300 yards.

• Like 1

Yeah, read an article where occasional rare 400 plus shots are taken but most shots are 300 yards and under in any parts of the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the real world, all BS aside ( and there's a lot of THAT around) shooting beyond 300-350 yards, perhaps 400 at the most, is a specialized activity, and as Uncle Nicky said, it requires specialized equipment and skills. 

Lots of folks shoot mountain to mountain in parts of the eastern US such as Pennsylvania and West Virginia as well as the western states.

I see it as an equipment intensive sport, rather than a game of woodsmanship or hunting skill.

Nothing wrong with it, if that's your bag, and as long as you have the gear and skill to make consistent clean kills on game animals at very long ranges, say from 500 to 1000 yards.

• Like 1

I hunted in PA once where a friend of mine set up as Pygmy described shooting 550yds at a hillside/ridge.  He killed a doe at that distance the year before.  While it was impressive, it didn't seem much like hunting as we were standing and talking while he glassed and would point out a deer asking if I wanted to shoot it.  No chance of me taking a shot that long.  It seemed more like range shooting than hunting.  Certainly not the adrenaline rush like a deer 10yds away.  You do have to be skilled to dope the wind and make the shot, that's for sure.

• Like 1