On Such A Winter's Day!

airedale

A great time to get to reloading done, 223 on the docket, had a bunch of prepped "Lake City" cases and an old box of FMJ bullets, I figure they will make some good plinking loads, also loaded up a couple of boxes of 55gr Hornady varmint bullets to use up the rest of the cases.

Al

2023-03-19_095213.png

2023-03-19_111127.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, airedale said:

A great time to get to reloading done, 223 on the docket, had a bunch of prepped "Lake City" cases and an old box of FMJ bullets, I figure they will make some good plinking loads, also loaded up a couple of boxes of 55gr Hornady varmint bullets to use up the rest of the cases.

Al

2023-03-19_095213.png

2023-03-19_111127.png

Nice looking Summit press and bench setup. (Although too neat!) 

Last weekend I thoroughly cleaned and serviced 4 of my 5 Chainsaws…today I sharpened them.  My wife bought me the Stihl 500i with a 33 inch bar for my birthday today. Its fuel injected. Looks like an animal of a saw.  Now I have a 211 …251….261….361….and the 500i. I can’t wait to start cutting up the winter deadfall on the land. 

• Like 1

I am dying to fire it up. I was going to get the 660 Magnum but it is so heavy to play with all day. The 500i is not much if any heavier than my 361. 

My wife is a saint. I mention something.....and next thing I know.....she has ordered it and it is delivered. She is a saint.

23 hours ago, GreenDrake said:

Last weekend I thoroughly cleaned and serviced 4 of my 5 Chainsaws…today I sharpened them.  My wife bought me the Stihl 500i with a 33 inch bar for my birthday today. Its fuel injected. Looks like an animal of a saw.  Now I have a 211 …251….261….361….and the 500i. I can’t wait to start cutting up the winter deadfall on the land. 

I’ve been wanting to get some deadfalls cleared over in my parent’s woods for the last few weeks, but the weather has not cooperated.  I finally managed to open up a couple trails yesterday.  It was cold and windy, my favorite kind of weather for cutting wood, so I barely work up a sweat.  

I only had a 16” bar on my Stihl (model MS280) and I was wishing for my 20” to deal with a big ash that fell across one of the main trails over there.  I’ll be sure to bring that on my next trip.  Cutting from both sides, I was able to remove enough of the logs to get my dad’s and my sister’s side x sides through the trail.

Edited by wolc123

Another great saw. I am a die hard Stihl chainsaw owner. My wife also bought me the GIANT Stihl 560 Brush Cutter last year. It is SCARY powerful. I bought the line head for it....22 inch swatch. I will try that this year. But I was cutting 3 inch saplings like grass with it last summer. It is very heavy and you have to wear the vest harness and hook the unit to the harness. I am not very tall, so it was hard to get used to trying to cut level with it. The neck is quite long. But it is certainly no toy. She found the ONLY one available in the US and scarfed it up. FOr everything else I got my new 6 ft. Woods Brush cutter on my 60HP New Holland.

She ordered me the seeding attachment for my gas operated leaf blowers. Its a hopper that feeds seed into the blower tube and spreads the seed. I heard great things about it. It is not very expensive ($40.00 for the large one), and I will frost seed 5 acres of clover with it as soon as it comes in.

On 3/19/2023 at 7:45 PM, GreenDrake said:

I can’t wait to start cutting up the winter deadfall on the land. 

I am in the same boat, I do not think I am not quite as enthusiastic about it as you LOL, this last storm blew over a tree that knocked down my shooting range 100 yd target I have to get at immediately, this snow should be melted off shortly.  I have been using Echo saws for the past few years and have nothing but good to say about them, my big saw is the 590 Timberwolf, it is wearing a 2 ft bar and works great on large stuff. Have fun with that new Stihl.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

I have run Echo's. Nice saws. I have stuck with Stihl as I have all the newer Stihl 2 in 1 Easy File sharpening systems that work very well. I do not know if they are truly compatible with other saw chains. I run Echo leaf blowers and they have lasted longer than any of the other's I have owned.

Chainsaws and land management is my mental therapy from my extremely busy and stressful law practice. I do not shoot sporting clays as much as i used to, though I am going to put a small course on my new property.