Fletch the hunt 2014

Fletch

Thanks Zem!

11/18 pm cold windy

Got up this am and saw the wind and wind chill and said no way.

Did get out for the last hour hoping the wind would die off and deer might move. It eased for a bit but picked back up. It is still howling out now at 9:30. Hope the morning is better. I did hear a few shots tonight.

11/19 am 18 wind chill 6

Out back for 2 hours. Man it was ccccold! Saw one small one way up ridge at 7:15am looked small.

Then walked up one on way out. Walked by me at 20 feet. Just a little one.

I did take a pic of it standing under my bros stand and texted it too him telling him it was BIG lol.

Ok I have been putting this off because I knew it was ugly.

Bow season results.

Hours in the stand during legal light - 120 hours oh my!!

Deer sighted - 38 pathetic

Bucks - 12

Dow - 25

Not sure - 1

So I saw 1 deer every 3.15 hours on stand and 1 buck every 10 hours.

This is a bit misleading because I had two distinctly different seasons almost. From 10/1 to 10/19 I saw 2 deer in 32.5 hours so 16.25 hours per sighting!! And 10/20 to 11/14 I saw a deer every 2.3 hours. Standing corn really hurt one of my spots this year. It actually was just cut this week. 

I had an enjoyable season. I only saw one big shooter during light and he was far away and a marginal shooter that I hit a twig on. That ended a 9 year streak of bow deer.

Now we return to the gun season!

• Like 1

11/20 pm 28

Got out back in the field stand for the last 45 minutes. It is a two minute walk when I get stuck short of time.

Was in the stand 10 minutes and see one coming towards the trail so I get the gun ready. It turns out to be my big button. He goes back into brush and I hang up the gun to take pics. Then I realize he is not alone. It turns out he was with a small doe. She was not much bigger than him but I think she is 1.5. She got a pass I need more than a 85-90 pound dressed doe! Got mouths to feed! lol Wonder if he is rutting or looking for a mom, his hocks were stained up.

I am off next 3 days and hope to have some buck action. I am afraid the rut is about ended and bucks will be heavy feeding which stinks for me I do not have agriculture spots.

10/21 pm 31

Took my son out squirrel hunting. We saw 4 or 5 but he could not get close enough for a shot. We need a warmer day!!

Got into stand at 3pm and 5 minutes later had a doe and 2 fawns go by about 250 yards out. Hit one fresh track on way out near bros stand.

11/22 am 16

Was a very cold morning. My brother in law hit Tully. They had about 6 inches of snow. Got onto watch and after a while noticed movement off to my left. Had a doe coming in. I took a quartering on shot with the 30-30 and she bucked and took off. I saw her run about 100 yards before going out of view. I stayed on watch for an hour then took up the trail. Had good blood but after 200 or so yards she crossed a road. Now this is the silly part. The road boundaries a rifle county from a shotgun. I only have my rifle with me. I get my bro in law and he has a shotgun so I leave my rifle in the truck and we take up the trail. After 100 more yards we hit 3 beds with a lot of blood right around the chest area. We decide to back out so I can run home and back, 45 min each way, so we both have shotguns and one can loop ahead. So a couple hours later we got back on it and I caught up to her. Nice doe dressed out 120 pounds.

We got her out and hunted till dark but no other action.

11/23 am 41

Started out in Tully and nothing for first watch. We did a couple drives and no go. Hunted back near home for last watch and nothing. I think the only 2 days I have not seen deer since gun started is Sundays. Think the deer are taking Sundays off I may have to do the same!!

I have 2 down I may need to sleep in a morning here soon!

11/25 am 41

Out back for 2 hours. It was especially dark going in and real quiet. I do not use a light most of the time. I had a deer blow about 12 feet from me jeesh scared the crap out of me! I wait a few and take another step and another one 10 feet away blows and takes off! Good thing I don't have heart issues!!

That was it for the morn.

11/26 am 35

Was out back for 2.5 hours. On way in a jumped one deer right in the same spot as yesterday. I was a bit farther away and it was not as quiet walking this morn. Once he takes off all I can smell is buck stank. I grunt a couple time to try to unscare him(like that word!!). I hear him walking around up the ridge. I decide to back up 80 yards or so and get in my bros hang on. Wished I had of just hunted that instead of going to the far out one.

I heard him for a while down left of me but then nothing. It was a really nice morning.

Snow coming now, starting to cover the ground I will be sneaking out soon!

11/27 am blizzard

Headed in walked right past nice covered tower blind to far ladder stand. Was snowing a bit. Well got to ladder and it started coming. Got 4 inches in an hour then wind blowing all the snow of branches onto my head! I barely made it till 8 and said heck with it. Head in and hit fresh tracks in front of tower. Pull cam card yup buck, pic was not great due to snow small or broken rack but looked nice size bid.

Evening went to tower blind forgot cell hike back in, I am on call 24/7. 15 min since I came in fresh tracks crossed mine headed towards other stand rrrrrr