Who got a deer today???

ajdal94

Sat in the ground blind all day, except to go back up to house for quick lunch and stretch the legs then back to the blind. Stayed out the rest of the day and it was a bust. My buddy had 2 fawns pass by him, but that was it. Maybe the weekend go back out. Was hunting in Machias, Cattaraugus County

Didn't shoot anything today, but had a terrific opening day.  17 deer sightings (10 morning, 7 evening).  5 Bucks (few small and from what I could tell a wide-as-ears 9 ptr, and a nice buck with a half 8 ptr/half big fork rack.  bunch were within 20 yds, few offered shots (neither of the bigger bucks) but I passed.  Deer seemed to be moving a lot and from what I could tell from scouting in the midday, they are hammering acorns.

• Like 1

don't start disrupting the whole woods. still early and warm. hunt your food and water sources and leave the good rut activity spots for a few more weeks.

Agreed; don't educate a smart buck this early, wait on the rut. At this time of year with warm weather stick close to food sources there hitting hard hunt the trails you my get that big one. I like the week of Halloween on personally, watch your doe now because the boys will be coming to them soon. I like seeing doe this time of year and pattern while early hunting, use them to bring the big boys in close.