Bow Fishing, Ever Try It?

airedale

What actually got me into archery was bow fishing for Carp. My Dad had a hunting buddy that would come out to our place and he would go after Carp in the many oxbows that were along side a nearby river. We used to go along watch him arrow those Carp and that is what got me hooked. There is not much more fun than hunting Carp with a bow if you have shallow waters that hold good populations.

Al

Bowfishing: The Complete Guide (Updated 2023) (fishingbooker.com)

Years ago, our club (Avon Bowmen) Had a club event at a place called Horse shoe ponds. We all had a blast. It took a while to figure out exactly where to aim, but I caught on after a few misses. I don't know why, but I never went again, but we had a ball. My two sons were member at the time and they had a blast too.

• Like 1

I was into it back in my teens and early 20s . Was a good time . Was a pain the butt finding somebody to take the carp. All went away when I met my wife . Working three jobs to help support 3 step kids in my instant family took all my spare time and alot of my sleep time .

• Like 1

When I was bowfishing the equipment was pretty simple, I had a Bear setup and the reel screwed to the front of my recurve and the line was wound by hand. Below is a photo of an old Bear reel.

These days I see much more thought into the bowfishing equipment, Lever compound bows seem to be favored and many still use some sort of recurve and fingers. 

I purchased an older Oneida Eagle bow sometime back that had been outfitted for bowfishing, I wanted it just to target shoot with, it came with a fancy reel and arrow rest setup. I refurbed the old Oneida and gave it a new paint job, it has become one of my favorite bows to target shoot with.

If I find a good spot for Carp I might just give it a go again. Like Doc said it is a blast.

2023-03-27_174616.png

2023-02-23_073729.png

oneida.jpg

Many Oneida Eagles are scarfed up now by bowfishers ...they have a cult following. I owned 2 in my day back in the late 80's early 90's. I wish I kept one for my nephew who took to bowfishing last year. He outfitted my old Matthews Q2, but the Eagle would have been a nice alternative.

• Like 1