Air Guns

Air guns have been on the upsurge in recent times due to many reasons I think. Many outdoor magazines now have monthly columns dedicated to hunting and shooting these guns. The technologies that have gone into these guns has allowed for a huge increase in performance, there are now big bores that are capable for large game hunting. Along with relatively low cost ammo, no noise to speak of and laws favorable for ownership one can see why they have been very popular.

I have been using air guns in some form from the time I was a young boy right up to today's modern heavy hitters so I thought a thread on these guns would be interesting. In recent years I have been upgrading my air guns to some of the latest and I have not been disappointed in their performance, in fact I am somewhat amazed and especially so with the pre charged guns.

As of now I have three fairly recent rifles that I have been messing around with, a couple of Benjamin pre charged rifles and a nitro piston Gamo Swarm, I used the Gamo the most because of it's simple break action, while not as gilt edge in accuracy as the pre charged Benjamins it has served me well for eliminating chipmunks and the occasional Squirrel. The biggest drawback for the precharge Benjamins is the dreaded handpump, pumping up the 25 cal marauder and doing a lot of shooting will wear you out. The little 22 PRod 22 cal marauder is not too bad.

Anyhow I finally got around to buying a high pressure compressor, this is going to be a game changer, these guns can be loaded up with air in a couple of minutes, it is small and portable. can be used with a battery or household current.

I will be putting them through their paces and will have more to report on down the road.

Al

2021-05-11_105623.png

2023-03-31_105639.png

2023-03-31_105802.png

2023-03-31_110117.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

I too have been using pump, spring, Co2 and PCP pistols & rifles in all sorts of calibers since I was a wee lad too.

I've been using a 9mm PCP for hunting critters/varmints for awhile and updated my smaller pest control line up last summer with a Umarex Fusion2 .177 rifle, using converted 90g CO2 cartridges that I can charge with air.

It has an awesome trigger, 50 consistent shots per cartridge, awesome accuracy with RWS + cheaper pellets, have had no issue with pellets feeding from both magazines and it's backyard quiet.

Only issue I have with it, it's not left handed, but being it's so light I can cycle the bolt with no problems while supporting it with my left hand.

There's a big accuracy consistency using compressed air compared to Co2 and saving money by not having to buy Co2 cartridges is a big plus too.

After the coyote season ended, I mounted and sighted in my Adder thermal scope on the Fusion2 and it's ready for those pesky Vermin day or night.

1439599487_FusionThermal.thumb.jpg.ed8f59fff05d8744a641e39a0a13a779.jpg

Yes, I mounted a $2,500 thermal scope on a $130 rifle !

I've been using the air force hand pump if I don't have access to my friends compressor and have been looking into getting a small 12v/110v compressor like you have for awhile.

How do you like the compressor Airedale ?

Home Depot has a couple of small compressors for sale now and I'll probably go that route for ease of replacement if anything goes wrong.

Your thread just might get me to finally order it !

SJC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shoots100 said:

How do you like the compressor Airedale ?

So far I like it a lot, I just got it so I really can not say with any authority to it's quality over time. I did a lot of studying and watching a bunch of videos before I finally decided to go with this one. It was purchased on Amazon and they have a sale on it now. The videos were informative and the ratings were about as high as I have found and the price was fair so I bit. Time will tell as they say.

Al

2023-04-02_180820.png

Below is my little guy, the 22 cal Benjamin P-Rod pre charge, started out as a pistol and with a few mods turned it into a sweet little light weight tack driving rifle. Bug Buster air gun scope and an AR style rear stock. A chipmunk-rat hunter's delight. Also a quick review on the compressor.

Al

2023-04-03_115143.png

2023-04-03_120310.png

Edited by airedale