Black bear growl????

fu2lmao

I hunt in 6c which happens to have a decent black bear population.  I got up this morning and headed to my stand around 5:45am.  It was still pitch dark, more so as it was rainy and cloudy.  As I am crossing the pastures, not very fair from me I here a low pitched but high volume grumbling.  Sounded like when you are hungry just much much louder( and yeh I had breakfast).  I assumed it was a black bear either warning me or got scared as I was crossing in front of it.  I googled black bear sounds and found similar sounds but other sites say black bear really don't growl.  Anyone have any insight?  I don't think it was a yote and cant imagine anything else which would be that loud.

interesting, never considered a fox, the foxes I have ran into usually run the other way when I see them, I have tons of them in my backyard but they just mostly make a yelping sound, this sounded too deep to be a fox but who knows, all I can say is it scared the crap out of me not being able to see it and only having a bow in my hands, if it was rifle season.....no worries, I backed off about 10 yards and waiting til it was alittle brighter, after my morning hunt I searched through the pastures for tracks but saw nothing, I hate the dec rules do not allow you to carry your legally owned firearm during bow season

Yeah, I have heard fox yelp, and scream, mostly high pitched.

The night that the fox growled at me I was standing in my driveway, late dusk. I was enjoying a beer and a smoke in my driveway, looking at the emerging stars. Complete silence. I saw some kind of silhouette walking in the street, then turns down my driveway right for me. I turn on the flashlight to see what it was, and this thing growls at me. Before it even registered that it was only a fox, the beer went flying in the air. lol. It was a deep growl, like a large dog.

interesting, never considered a fox, the foxes I have ran into usually run the other way when I see them, I have tons of them in my backyard but they just mostly make a yelping sound, this sounded too deep to be a fox but who knows, all I can say is it scared the crap out of me not being able to see it and only having a bow in my hands, if it was rifle season.....no worries, I backed off about 10 yards and waiting til it was alittle brighter, after my morning hunt I searched through the pastures for tracks but saw nothing, I hate the dec rules do not allow you to carry your legally owned firearm during bow season

Not promoting breaking the law, but that's a dumb law. Successfully Defending myself from a bear attack would be a lot more important than a fine.

• Like 1

Belo, we are on the same page, didn't say if I do or don't disregard this law for safety reasons. 

Its not just bears, the other day had a happy yote approach me upwind 3 times and wasn't scared off so easy.  Had he done it a 4th time he was going down.  My buddies all agree that was 3 times too many and he would have gone down on the first approach.

Pa-lawman, that was my concern if it was a sow with her youngens, whatever it was really sounded like it was giving a warning or got startled.