Smaller game hunting ?

As noted in Airedales air gun post earlier this month, After varmint season ended I mounted my backup Adder scope on my "Black Cat" Fusion2  PcP converted .177 air rifle to do some genus Mus eradication around the homestead after seeing some running around while testing thermals earlier in the year.

I found an old jar of almond butter in the cabinet and made a couple of bait piles to view from my deck. 

521762912_FusionThermal.thumb.jpg.348c539ec4922254a9157dbffa2ff3cd.jpg

It didn't take long to put the Cat to work.

Mus 1

Mus 2

And a confirmation pic of Mus 2

Mus-2-Confirm.jpg

Edited by Shoots100
  • Like 3

Cat and Mus.

Last night on perimeter watch I had this mouse that really pushed it.

Wouldn't stop for a shot and when it did, I found that I didn't tighten the tank all the way in and the resounding click was all that happened when I pulled the trigger.

After the click, that freaking mouse ran towards me and under the deck.

I went inside and cleared the rifle and made sure it was working.

Went out and found it lurking under the deck with the thermal spotter, not giving me a shot for about 10 minutes until I heard it scurrying under the ladder, trying to flank me.

Bad move for the mouse, as I was dialed in and I dropped it before it charged.

Another mouse bites the dust.

https://youtu.be/XOyoi4MGWZI

Edited by Shoots100
  • Like 1

I would have loved to have a rig like that back years ago in my Rat hunting days at local town dumps that were crawling with them. I used my car lights and a 22 rifle shooting shorts, after the shot the Rats would duck and cover, turn the lights off and within a couple of minutes they were back out grubbing through the garbage. It was a blast.

Al

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Have to do some late job's tonight (5/24), so I decided to stay up late and do some hunting around the house.

Spotted this Mus perusing the grapevines between the houses.

It started out in a no shoot zone and then after it got tired of torturing me, it wandered behind the neighbors shed.

Hunting and trying to shoot Mus with a pellet rifle at night will teach you patience.

SJC

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's the $2,500 AGM Adder TS35-384 thermal I use as a backup.

My primary scope is the Nvis Halo X50, but it's a longer range scope that sucks for close range work, as you can see in this pic I took of the same spot I dropped the Mus with the Adder.

There's a plethora of shorter range thermal scopes available for the hunter looking to get into the sport for under $2K. 

SJC

photo-2.jpg.020aec182b10ddf1c3c3155af50dcf84.jpg

• Like 1

Two more down.

These mice were always hanging out in no shoot spots, so I decided to use nature against nature and strategically placed some pieces of watermelon in those areas so the raccoons would do what they do best and scare them into shoot zones.

It worked like a charm.

• Like 1

I prefer the red reticle, but the green stands out better to me when in black hot.

I try not to move it around so much, but you never know when the Mus are going to stop for a shot.

I was resting the rifle on top of the barbecue and scanning with the monocular and forgot it was recording.

I do change the color to suit the conditions, but for some reason this scope and almost all of the lower end thermals don't have reticle brightness control.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Goes to show if there is a will there is a way to come up with some kind of hunting and shooting action. The Flies will be catching Hell on my backyard range shortly, my son got me one heck of a Father's Day gift, a Yonkers NY Kimber HS 22LR rifle. The factory test target shows a one hole group at 50 yards with Remington match ammo, just the ticket for fly splatting. I am chomping at the bit.

Al

2023-06-21_091339.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 3

Beautiful .22 rifle and rare.  I think those Kimber .22's were some of the best hunting .22's even manufactured.  Your's is the one designed for silhouette shooting.  I have one of the regular hunter models.  They have a great trigger and will shoot one hole groups with the right ammo.  You may need to try different loads to see what it really likes.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Grouse said:

I think those Kimber .22's were some of the best hunting .22's ever manufactured. 

I agree,

My favorite feature on the Yonkers Kimber is the Mauser style claw extractor, a neat and different setup to be sure. reminds me of a miniature pre 64  Winchester model 70. I have plenty of different brands of match ammo to give this rifle a good test and compare to some of my other bolt action 22s. The Kimber is going to have to shoot really well to hang in there and best some of those rifles.

Al

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...