Live From The Woods 2023 Turkey Edition

WNYBuckHunter

Three of my buddies connected in Delaware county and my handicapped friend came real close Monday AM, but the weather screwed us up big time.

Going to be taking him out again this weekend for another try, as the weather is supposed to be beautiful and the word Quit isn't in his vocabulary.

Good luck to all.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, airedale said:

Way to go and congrats, nice photo WWJD

Al

Thanks :) I been hunting in Yates County and not many turkeys here , so I decided to drive up to Pulaski Ny this morning and it pay off. I heard four different birds this morning. Good luck to all and congratulations To those who got it done. 

Called in the same 3 jakes twice opening Morning at flydown and right before Noon whistle, I had to work day 2 but my brother slipped back into one of our favorite roost setups.. Bird was completely  silent.. And Dead by 6am 

IMG_1697.jpg

• Like 14

On 5/2/2023 at 1:27 PM, mpavlus said:

Pouring rain when i got to the farm. Didn't want to get out of the truck. No gobbles from the roost so started sneaking and peaking. Heard a distant gobble and moved closer. Set my lone hen decoy out and called. He heard me and was coming. Turned out to be 4 two year old birds. Came right to me. First one that stands still was going to get it. And he did. Wasn't the big boys on the farm but I'll take a two year old every time. Very excellent hunt. Plenty of time to hunt for big boy.

20230501_080657.jpg

20230501_075123.jpg

Second best part about turkey hunting. Turkey BBQ  sandwiches  20230504_195050.thumb.jpg.623d9225cf27ea4d6f0b5908f202d080.jpg20230504_195537.thumb.jpg.a3885bec284dec3be242234c49226423.jpgtopped with coleslaw and a cold beer

• Like 4

Tomorrow morning looks to be real good. Ill be in the edge of the woods with two Hen decoys in the field. After sunrise what do you guys recommend with what call I start with? Or should I wait to hear a gobbler first. Its been a while would love to hear from you guys. I use a mouth call. 

Other than a couple gobbles from the roost way, far away from me, today was one of those days that feels like turkeys don't exist. The weather was finally pleasant and I was expecting the turkeys to be on fire today ... but they didn't get the memo in my area. Nothing seen or heard, working it right to the noontime whistle. Still awesome to be out there. Hopefully they'll be more cooperative tomorrow. Good Luck all. Should be a good weekend!

Yesterday, I did get a nice pic of a deer that got to about 6 yds from me before it realized something wasn't right...LOL 

Screenshot_20230504_081642_Gallery.jpg

• Like 5

Well yesterday was a bust, no turkeys seen or heard but the deer were active walking around me at least, to help pass the time. Even had this buck come by starting this year's new antlers. 

So far, this morning is starting off like yesterday with no gobbles heard from the roost. Good luck all, beautiful morning to be in the woods!

Screenshot_20230507_062105_Gallery.jpg

• Like 4

13 hours ago, First-light said:

Heard one gobble that was it. My Sister in law score with a 21 lbs bird. 9.5 " beard and 1 " spurs. 

100929_(1).jpg

Hubby got one this morning. The first bird is being mounted. Total time in the woods for both birds 45 minutes!

mark.jpg

• Like 15

Pouring rain when i got to the farm. Didn't want to get out of the truck. No gobbles from the roost so started sneaking and peaking. Heard a distant gobble and moved closer. Set my lone hen decoy out and called. He heard me and was coming. Turned out to be 4 two year old birds. Came right to me. First one that stands still was going to get it. And he did. Wasn't the big boys on the farm but I'll take a two year old every time. Very excellent hunt. Plenty of time to hunt for big boy.

20230501_080657.jpg

20230501_075123.jpg

Tagged out this morning.  Good bird. 9" beard. 19 1/2 lbs.

He flew off roost and walked off with hen last weekend. I heard him gobble on roost last night. Snuck into his woods at 5am. He gobbled at 60 yards away. Perfect. Then a hen that I didn't know was there yelped right in between us. He flew down and she flew down to him. Shut up and walked away. Kept a eye on him all morning in the field. He'd answer but not leaving hens. About 11am I heard him gobble at other end of the field,back I go. Field had a crown to it. I called once in he came. Long morning and great hunt. Otsego County. Leatherstocking country. 

20230513_114709.jpg

20230513_120621.jpg

20230513_122041.jpg

20230513_122741.jpg

• Like 16

These Toms have made their annual Roost shift over to our property now, our small 12 acres. They roost up on the ridge we have. They come and roost seldom before Mid May. But fairly regularly once Mid May hits.. They' toms usually stay and at least be vocal into Early Mid June.. We also have 3/4 acres of Clovers in our plot that they'll feast in once the sun hits them. Any who after successfully roosting a bird on our lease, we got back to camp at last light and a bird gobbled to the slam of the truck door..  letting us know he was up on our ridge, Roosted was Roasted.. Bird pitched down, and met his demise a few moments later.. My brother in Law tagged his first ever Longbeard by 545am

Attachment12.JPG

• Like 8