Live From The Woods 2023 Turkey Edition

WNYBuckHunter

On 5/15/2023 at 10:54 AM, LET EM GROW said:

These Toms have made their annual Roost shift over to our property now, our small 12 acres. They roost up on the ridge we have. They come and roost seldom before Mid May. But fairly regularly once Mid May hits.. They' toms usually stay and at least be vocal into Early Mid June.. We also have 3/4 acres of Clovers in our plot that they'll feast in once the sun hits them. Any who after successfully roosting a bird on our lease, we got back to camp at last light and a bird gobbled to the slam of the truck door..  letting us know he was up on our ridge, Roosted was Roasted.. Bird pitched down, and met his demise a few moments later.. My brother in Law tagged his first ever Longbeard by 545am

Attachment12.JPG

Nice picture 

50 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Yup,I zip Tie my Turkey Legs. Still have 1 Permit left. So does Cynthia- so,I will be helping her again as much as possible. 

Yes still plenty of good hunting left. Getting leafy. Good to hide in. Good luck. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, New York Hillbilly said:

Congrats to those who bagged turkeys. I'm going to try and drag myself out of bed for the first time this season, and see if I can a least hear one gobble. 

OMG I'm in the same boat. Been hearing them just can't get up that early, maybe Saturday?

• Like 2

Woke up 4:11 and said to self close eyes for a minute. Looked at clock and was 5:53. Long blink! 

Now sitting at the base of a tree overlooking the creek  bottom where I missed on a few years ago when it popped up just a few feet from me.  That one was so close the pattern must have been like a slug going past its head.  

It sure is pretty in the Springtime woods. I just seemed to have lost a step along the way, or the fire I once had in my belly for chasing these birds.  

And, now it starts. i sit here  and worry every tickle I feel is another tic! Lol

One gobble gobble way off in the distance. 

• Like 5

I hunted four days (3 1/2 really) on I guess what would be the second week of the season. Did not get a shot, but I would call it our most successful season ever, seeing birds every day, several times a day and "interacting" (calling and getting responses) a couple times a day.  Considering we barely SAW anything last year, and hadn't  heard a gobble in a couple years, that's a huge step up. 

Down side was, it was it seemed to be the same male and two females each time.  3 birds isn't much of a flock, so in that respect I don't mind not shooting him. 

• Like 3

Finally back out today after a crazy work week and commitments keeping me out of the woods yesterday. Since I leave for vacation in FL next Saturday, this will most likely be my last outing for the season, unless I can sneak in a quick morning hunt before work this week. Today can only be out until about 10 for a wedding this afternoon. The woods have been void of turkey gobbles or turkey chatter so far this morning but we'll see. Good luck all.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DirtTime said:

Noone else turkey hunting around here?

20230523_052339.thumb.jpg.e8a0241ef96a96f8c3bf6f06566d6167.jpg

Wish I was out there instead of at work, but I'm prob done until next spring. Will be leaving for FL on Saturday morning for vacation, so it's looking like I won't be filling tag #2. But that's OK, seems like the turkey #s are down and I did have some fun & excitement this season, filling tag #1.

Good luck out there! 

• Like 1

This is my 19th morning out here, and today is a wrap for my season. Don't think I'll sit for more than a couple of hours. Had a few birds come in but not closer than 70 yards. Seen a bunch of deer, a turtle hunted one morning with me. Stare down with a coyote one morning.........

• Like 2

I ended with 20 days hunted and had plenty of action this year over the past 6. heard a lot more birds, got eyes on 4 I called in but would not get close enough for a shot. Yesterday culminated in a tom shock gobbling from a twig I stepped on and then playing back and forth for about 5 minutes until he went silent. Three hours later he showed up silent where I knew he would, the other side of the field 180 yards away. I got up and tried to cut him off to no avail.

I saw plenty of deer, called in a couple foxes and a coyote. Called in a turtle (not really, but he made a good partner for one morning). I'll take a season like this and tag soup over sitting in a chair staring at an electronic.

Hunting is the most fun thing to be frustrated over.

• Like 3

Only got out a handful of times again this year. but we managed to take 3 longbeards. Passed several Jakes. Several times. Hoping this dry weather continues for a few more weeks to help any un raided nests and poults out.. Lord knows we could use more turkeys.. 

• Like 3