Dumbest thing u ever did in the stand

TreeGuy

Just spent 5 minutes trying to put my phone back in a zipped up pocket and thought this could make for a worthwhile thread... besides this, I guess my worst folly was being in stand for hours, having a nanny doe come in and realizing I never pulled up my bow, dohhh ! Anyone else care to share a dumb moment ?

• Like 1

Depends on your perspective. When I was learning to hunt with my Dad, I was really tired in my tree stand so I got down and laid on the ground under the stand. Well my Dad was walking to check on me and didn't see me in the stand. As he approached he saw me on the ground and thought I fell out.

Needless to say I got more rest whenever I went hunting with my Dad after that.

• Like 5

forgot to bring my release and was searching for it while an 8 pointer was pooping 10 feet away from me, hangover will do that to u

Oh yeah... because forgetting your release is much dumber then being up there with a hangover.   :wacko:

Edited by letinmfly

About 25 years ago I was in a tree that was only about 50% alive......half way through opening day I THOUGHT I butted out my cigar that I sent in a dead spot in a crotch of the tree and it started it on fire.  Smoldered for a few hours..............:)

I bet I can think of a few more good stories..........

• Like 1

One time I climbed up, got all set and never attached my bow to the rope. (might have done that more than once) Another time  I sat and watched does, that I didn't want to shoot, and later realized that I never knocked an arrow. Another time I remembered to knock an arrow but left my release wrapped around the limb of my bow for the first hour or so…Im sure there is more dumbassery that I have forgotten about... 

Thinking in retrospect, passed a few buck I shouldn't have... can't think of any dumb things or goofs but besides missing 2 130 8s in back to back years but letting 2 go when in reality I shouldn't have still had me thinking till this day.

Had an opportunity at a doe one of the first times I ever used a treestand.

I was still petrified of heights so I was a little nervous to begin with being up there. Any movements I made were done very precise and gingerly.

When I went to draw down on her, I heard an awful clang, my bow locked up mid draw, and I sent an arrow into outer space when I hit the release on accident.

I forgot I still had my bow rope hooked up and the carribiner clip was hooked through the bottom cam on the bow,lol

• Like 6

The majority of my stupidity was when i was younger and Invincible ,i used to hang on to trees with one leg on a screw in step and the other wrapped around the tree so i could have both hands free to hoist the stand up and install it , always put myself in sketchy situations just to get a stand hung.

• Like 1

Few years ago I shot my biggest buck. I tied the tow rope to my rifle...well... At least I thought I did and as I put my rifle over the rail, I watched the rope unravel and my rifle dropped 20 feet below, hit a tree root below me with a loud thud and I watched the stock fly one way and the barrel another.

• Like 1

I bought a mossberg 30_30 few years back had a group come in first forgot to turn safety off pulled trigger click. ...deer didn't run....wasnt thinking and instead of pulling hammer back I rechambered a round lined up a shot....and click forgot again....then they ran wasn't very happy deer make you do the darndest thing...lol

Edited by stoneam2006
  • Like 1

I never climb into a stand without wearing my safety harness . One morning I climbed up , hanged my pack , pulled up my bow and put it on the holder with a nocked arrow . Sat back and relaxed . About 15 minutes later I moved and realized I hadn't fastened the harness to the tree safety strap . Duh !