Canada's latest export : Super Pigs

fasteddie

• 5 months later...

Warning!

Confirmed: It is illegal to hunt, trap, or take Eurasian boars

https://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/70843.html

Management

Eurasian boar are native to Europe and Asia. Also known as Russian boar, wild boar, wild hog, razorback, or feral swine, invasive Eurasian boar represent a great threat to New York. Eurasian boars are a highly-adaptable and destructive invasive species that damage habitat and crops, as well as threaten native wildlife and domestic livestock. DEC and the United States Department of Agriculture have worked hard to eradicate these animals from the state's landscape. We are now working to prevent their reintroduction into New York.

·                       It is illegal to possess, sell, distribute, trade, or transport Eurasian boars or their hybrids.

·                       It is illegal to import, breed, or release Eurasian boars or their hybrids.

·               It is illegal to hunt, trap, or take Eurasian boars or their hybrids.

Take Action

Although DEC's eradication efforts have been very successful to date, we must remain vigilant. If you see Eurasian boars, please report them to the nearest DEC regional wildlife office or e-mail us. Since it is sometimes difficult to distinguish a domestic pig, pot belly pig, or Eurasian boar based solely on a description, reporting of all free roaming swine is encouraged. Please report the number of animals seen, whether any of them were piglets, the date, and the exact location (county, town, distance and direction from an intersection, nearest landmark, etc.). Photographs are greatly appreciated as they help us determine if it is a Eurasian boar, so please try and get a picture and include it with your report.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To avoid illegal suggestions from being published on huntingny.com  I looked up the prior info on the DEC websitehttps://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/70843.html )

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Warning!

Confirmed: It is illegal to hunt, trap, or take Eurasian boars

https://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/70843.html

Management

Eurasian boar are native to Europe and Asia. Also known as Russian boar, wild boar, wild hog, razorback, or feral swine, invasive Eurasian boar represent a great threat to New York. Eurasian boars are a highly-adaptable and destructive invasive species that damage habitat and crops, as well as threaten native wildlife and domestic livestock. DEC and the United States Department of Agriculture have worked hard to eradicate these animals from the state's landscape. We are now working to prevent their reintroduction into New York.

·                       It is illegal to possess, sell, distribute, trade, or transport Eurasian boars or their hybrids.

·                       It is illegal to import, breed, or release Eurasian boars or their hybrids.

·               It is illegal to hunt, trap, or take Eurasian boars or their hybrids.

Take Action

Although DEC's eradication efforts have been very successful to date, we must remain vigilant. If you see Eurasian boars, please report them to the nearest DEC regional wildlife office or e-mail us. Since it is sometimes difficult to distinguish a domestic pig, pot belly pig, or Eurasian boar based solely on a description, reporting of all free roaming swine is encouraged. Please report the number of animals seen, whether any of them were piglets, the date, and the exact location (county, town, distance and direction from an intersection, nearest landmark, etc.). Photographs are greatly appreciated as they help us determine if it is a Eurasian boar, so please try and get a picture and include it with your report.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To avoid illegal suggestions from being published on huntingny.com  I looked up the prior info on the DEC websitehttps://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/70843.html )

Whenever I take a Deer in the woods by the next day the Gut Pile is gone ! I'm pretty sure coyotes are not picky and the remains of a Boar would be Disappeared in a day or two --- Legal or Not !

• Like 1

Only in New York will you hear them claim that they want feral pigs eradicated yet they don't want hunters to shoot them.  Sort of like them telling us that they are making our communities safe from crime yet they let criminals out of jail the day after they arrest them.  Complete joke.

• Like 5

I do not agree with that law, but if I am remembering correctly they justified the decision based on the fact that hunting them sporadically tends to break up the herds, scattering them to the point where it makes it more difficult for the DEC to trap large numbers of them and it tends to spread the population. At least that is what the story was back when they made general hunting of them illegal.

Yes that sounds like a load of crap, and it assumes that the DEC actually has a hog-trapping program that is really active (which I doubt). I have yet to see a report that says anything about how many of them they have caught. Actually I think the numbers of the wild hogs was over estimated in the first place (any members here ever see one?)

I don't really agree with the law, but I do not believe in hunters each deciding which laws they choose to obey.