How to hunt deer in the rain

fasteddie

I've hunted in the rain probably 8-9 times over the past three years. All I got was wet and had to clean and dry everything out/off. Never even saw a squirrel on most of those hunts. Hunting in the rain with a bow or a ML when you don't have a blind or tree house to sit in sort of sucks. I only do it when we've been up north and rent the cabin because I go there to hunt so I hunt. At home down here? I don't go out if I can help it.

I know it can be prime time for deer, it's just not my cup of tea to be out in the rain.

• Like 1

I’ve taken a couple of deer, during light rains the last couple years, from under a tree umbrella.  One, from 8 ft up in a tree blind, and the other while seated in a tree hammock chair at ground level.  Each time, the wind was less than 10 mph.  

I’ve also taken a couple of other mature does, during heavy, wind driven rains, from inside a ground blind (truck/cap style with large overhang/visor).

I can also  remember killing a buck within 20 minutes after a heavy rain stopped.  I was in my truck cap blind, until the rain stopped, when I moved up into a nearby tree stand.  It seems to me that while deer may “hunker down” during real heave rains, they tend to make up for the down time by increased activity when it stops.  

• Like 1

When it rains during deer season, I don't hunt from a stand.  I dress for it and carry only what I need while I still hunt through the woods.  I can move silently and see deer before they see me.  The rain also seems to drive my scent into the ground quickly.  I use a Kimber Montana in 7mm08 that laughs at the rain and is easy to wipe off when I'm done.  As long as it isn't really windy when it's raining, I really feel I have big advantages over the deer when it rains.  I've taken many deer when it was raining and most at close range, so I never hesitate to hunt deer in the rain.

• Like 1

Just as the author of this article pointed out, I too have seen the increased movement of deer during a drippy, drizzly light rain. I also have noted that their senses seem to be dulled, almost like they are walking around in a severe funk and extremely miserable which also can be a huge benefit to the hunter. I think also that the scent is knocked down to the ground a bit, and the falling rain screws up their hearing a bit too. All good things.

However my most serious hunting is with the bow, and there are a few serious drawbacks to rainy weather hunting too. Hunting with a bow in the rain does not forgive a shot that is not absolutely perfect. I like to wait a bit after even a good shot before trying to take up the blood trail. I have had blood trails that all but vanished in the rain, depending on how heavy the rain is or gets to be. That aspect is not so bad with a gun because a reasonable shot will put the deer down within sight or definitely not too far after the shot.

The most obvious drawback is that unless you have a tent-style pop-up blind, the comfort factor for the hunter can be lacking. I have yet to find acceptable rain gear that does not eventually fall prey to leakage or internal condensation.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I’ve taken a couple of deer, during light rains the last couple years, from under a tree umbrella.  One, from 8 ft up in a tree blind, and the other while seated in a tree hammock chair at ground level.  Each time, the wind was less than 10 mph.  

I’ve also taken a couple of other mature does, during heavy, wind driven rains, from inside a ground blind (truck/cap style with large overhang/visor).

I can also  remember killing a buck within 20 minutes after a heavy rain stopped.  I was in my truck cap blind, until the rain stopped, when I moved up into a nearby tree stand.  It seems to me that while deer may “hunker down” during real heave rains, they tend to make up for the down time by increased activity when it stops.  

I think ipassed that truck cap stands yesterday out in Akron/Newstead?

If it's the same one I took a big doe just on the other side of the far hedge row about 28 years ago when they were building the golf course. 

I use to pack up and leave when it started to sprinkle / rain . As I would leave the area , I would drive past some fields and see deer come out to feed . They may have felt that it was safe to do . Anyway , the last time I bow hunted in the rain was the final straw . I had an 8 point buck come in at about 25 yards in a slight drizzle . My bow grip was wet and when I took the shot , my grip slipped and I believe I hit him in the scapula . I waited a half hour before getting down to check him out . I found part of my arrow but no blood anywhere . I went back and forth through the thickets and never found any sign of him . I gave up after a little over 2 hours of searching and soaked .

After that , I always was very careful field dressing or butchering a deer as there could be a sharp blade in the body somewhere and you could get cut real bad . 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Somewhere I heard or read that deer and other animals can sense barometric pressure changes such that they know when foul weather is approaching which then turns on a bit of a feeding frenzy. Accurate theory or just B.S., I cannot say for sure, but there does seem to be some connection between approaching and current crappy weather and wildlife activity.

I never much liked hunting in the rain.  I wear glasses, that is one issue.  Bowhunting in a moderate to heavy rain makes tracking problematic.  I would do it on opening day of gun season.  These days I can pick my days as I can hunt near home after work.  I do believe bucks are more likely to be on the move on dark, gray days before a storm.

I love hunting the slop. My movement/scent is decreased, the deer are usually uncomfortable and want to move around and there are fewer other hunters out. Last year both my bucks I shot on horrible days. I usually avoid going out if it is too windy, but heading back to camp about 2:30 pm, it was dark rainy and dreary, wind blowing /gusting considerably. I would normally stay in due to the wind, but I was seeing deer out in the fields. I saw deer in the woods. I have good rain gear, and last year had the luxury of an elevated enclosed blind, so was very comfortable. 

• Like 2