I might be crazy but need a little help.

First-light

Last week My Farmer started spreading liquid manure all over our fields. This was mid week by Saturday I lost my voice and my throat was really sore. 

It felt like a really nasty cold. So between yesterday and today the must of dumped 20 tankers on my fields and I feel like hell again. Have you ever heard of anyone getting sick from the smell fumes? I'm sure it's a coincidence just had to ask. I'll go to urgent care tomorrow if not better.  

2 hours ago, DirtTime said:

I've never gotten sick the way you describe, but I've gotten nasty headaches and extremely sick to my stomach from the smell of liquid manure. They use some nasty chemicals to make that stuff.

Headache and sore throat is horrible. 

2 hours ago, CharlieNY said:

Can you believe when I was reading this the Farmer called me! I told him I wasn't feeling well but he said the way they do it its injected into the ground. He said they were done and shouldn't be an issue moving forward. Super nice guy really like him and I didn't want to make a big deal out of it. 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2023 at 7:57 PM, First-light said:

Headache and sore throat is horrible. 

Hope you are feeling better.

I'm not sure what's going on. Starting last night and going on now, I have the same symptoms.

I live in a very rural area with a lot of farming going on, but don't remember smelling on liquid manure being spread. I wonder if what  I am dealing with has to do with all the metal and rust grindings, and fumes from welding (25 year old welding rod) I was breathing yesterday, as I was rebuilding my old finish mower. I wore a paper mask almost the entire time,  but I question it's effectiveness. It feels like having a bad cold or flu, but without a fever. I'm not sure it is environmental related, or maybe we both just caught something that is going around. 

• Like 1

Do you have a camper or know anyone with one that you could borrow ? If so, place it on the upwind side of the areas where they are spreading and wait it out in there, until the conditions improve.  That’s what I would do, in such a situation, if I was affected like that.  It would be fun.  
 CF93757A-BFC9-4C4F-B043-3156E42B6AA0.thumb.jpeg.0e3c7c0d397e28ecdae4c1e9b37e8f7f.jpeg

I spent a few hot muggy nights in this camper, while it was in our barn last summer, because the AC in it worked much better than the one in our house. I sleep a lot better at 68 degrees, than I do in the mid 70’s, which was as cool as I could get it in the house on those muggy nights last summer.  That old camper AC will get that little unit down close to freezing, if I set it in “high”, no matter how hot it gets outside.  

• Like 1