Non-Ethanol Gas

fasteddie

A couple weeks ago I was able to get non-ethanol gas at Fastrac for $3.999 . I was surprised yesterday to see that the only gas Fastrac sells now is Regular gas . No premium or other choice . Any of the other nearby stations sell the non-ethanol gas for $4.699 . What a rip off !  

15 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

A couple weeks ago I was able to get non-ethanol gas at Fastrac for $3.999 . I was surprised yesterday to see that the only gas Fastrac sells now is Regular gas . No premium or other choice . Any of the other nearby stations sell the non-ethanol gas for $4.699 . What a rip off !  

Drill baby drill! 

• Like 1

I'm on my way this afternoon to get 10 gallons for mowing. Takes me about 5 gallons a week to mow my 7 acres. Plus I get a gallon can for 2 stroke. I don't worry too much about prices for that amount.  When I had the boat in a slip on canandaigua lake it was expensive at the marina.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DDT said:

I'm on my way this afternoon to get 10 gallons for mowing. Takes me about 5 gallons a week to mow my 7 acres. Plus I get a gallon can for 2 stroke. I don't worry too much about prices for that amount.  When I had the boat in a slip on canandaigua lake it was expensive at the marina.

Don't they always " Hose You " at the Marina ?  (little humor , very little)

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, JJBat150 said:

Interesting video regarding purchasing non-ethanol fuel in small quantities...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQZK-hcl5M4&ab_channel=Chickanic

Interesting video.  I never get fuel at a station that has a tanker there rileing up the water and dirt off the bottom of the tank.  Yea I know there's a filter in the pump. I used to work in the tank and pump field,  very few stations keep up on the filter maintenance. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, fasteddie said:

JJBAT150 -- Give it a try and let us know how it works . The guy said , "don't try this at home". So do it at a friend's house . It's an interesting video 

Actually, did something similar several years ago -

Local gas station had issues and I ended up with 25 gallons in my truck with water-laden gasoline.  The mechanic I took it to drained the tank and didn't want to deal with bad gas, so he filled up my 5-gallon gas cans with it.

Brought it home and I would fill a 1-gallon glass pickle jar, let it settle, then pour-off the good gasoline.  Took a while, but I was able to recover most of the gasoline.   Gave it an extra dose of dry gas and ran it without an issue.

All the pouring was done outside away from the pole barn - no friends wanted to partake in my adventure....

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

All my small motors, boat, ATV, run ethanol free gas. Yes, it does cost a bit more. But in the long run, saves much more in repairs from running the ethanol, that clogs carbs and makes rubber lines brittle. EF is running about $5.10 a gallon here at this time. 

• Like 1

Man, I hope this doesn't sound too stupid, but doesn't the Stabil additive take care of ethanol problems? I've been adding the marine grade Stabil for the past three years or so, and I have not had any carburetor or small engine problems since. I kind of thought I had solved the problem.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Man, I hope this doesn't sound too stupid, but doesn't the Stabil additive take care of ethanol problems? I've been adding the marine grade Stabil for the past three years or so, and I have not had any carburetor or small engine problems since. I kind of thought I had solved the problem.

Feel the same way. 

Stabil doesn't take care of ethanol problems

STA-BIL FUEL STABILIZER EXPLAINED

The ingredients contained in STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer have remained the same Gold Eagle Company purchased the product in 1988. This original formula is optimized for long-term storage of all engine types and all gasoline types.

For example, the additive stabilizes the fuel of two-cycle engines, vehicles, motorcycles, and even generators. Additionally, STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer is compatible with ethanol-based and non-ethanol-based gasoline. When you combine the fact that the additive is compatible with all engine types and all gasoline types, it’s easy to see why it is so recognizable.

As the flagship product of the brand, STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer truly stands out as a straightforward, dependable solution for any long-term storage you need you may have. In fact, it simplifies the process of storing your engines because you don’t need to drain your tanks when you put them away; just pour STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer into the reserve.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, fasteddie said:

Stabil doesn't take care of ethanol problems

STA-BIL FUEL STABILIZER EXPLAINED

The ingredients contained in STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer have remained the same Gold Eagle Company purchased the product in 1988. This original formula is optimized for long-term storage of all engine types and all gasoline types.

For example, the additive stabilizes the fuel of two-cycle engines, vehicles, motorcycles, and even generators. Additionally, STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer is compatible with ethanol-based and non-ethanol-based gasoline. When you combine the fact that the additive is compatible with all engine types and all gasoline types, it’s easy to see why it is so recognizable.

As the flagship product of the brand, STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer truly stands out as a straightforward, dependable solution for any long-term storage you need you may have. In fact, it simplifies the process of storing your engines because you don’t need to drain your tanks when you put them away; just pour STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer into the reserve.

They don't really get into any detail, but the label for the product says:

Sta-bil

360 Marine

Ethanol treatment and stabilizer

They have a bunch of different products and the Marine Sta-bil was what was recommended for me to use by someone. Of course I am not that much of a chemist, so I haven't got a clue whether I was being told the right scoop, but I can say that I have not had any carburetor issues since I have started using it for chain saws and weed-eaters and such. That wasn't the case before I started using it.

I’ve used ethanol-free gas, with regular non-marine Stabil added, on all of my boat motors and other “seldomly used” small engines for as long as it has been available.  That’s been around 15 years, and includes more than a dozen engines, counting chainsaws, my newest “antique” tractor, and lots of other small equipment.  

I had been plagued by carburetor issues on that stuff, before I could get ethanol free gas, but have not had a single one since.  Stabil alone, never helped much.  

I messed up, this last Memorial Day weekend, when I forgot to bring ethanol-free gas for my father in law’s 1960 something Johnson 5.5 hp outboard. He said “no problem, just use some of my gas”.

He has a 10 hp Honda on his barge that is impervious to ethanol gas. Not so with the little Johnson.  Before I made it across the lake, all (3) internal rubber gas lines had been eaten thru, the motor ran like crap, and gas was running out from the cowl.  I got lots of rowing in that weekend. 

78289F71-2148-43EC-88A2-87BC8164727C.thumb.jpeg.676613e7d419c9eab7f1f7e76b146474.jpeg

I brought gas line and ethanol free gas up with me on the 4th of July weekend, along with my own Evinrude 5.5 (Lake has a 10 hp max limit), just in case that didn’t cure his Johnson.  It didn’t seem to at first, so I used my Evinrude for a day or two. 

DA186372-22DD-4720-B25D-8F4041135BD9.thumb.jpeg.87917d8adac418c5784de67d24fb4548.jpeg

As it turned out, I had connected a couple of the lines wrong on the Johnson.  When I swapped them back correctly, it ran great again.  
813DC9A3-B060-4DDB-AFEB-F4F6E26C89F9.thumb.jpeg.c1f16d701adc9da7294cb70acc655f1b.jpeg

The new lines that I installed are probably ethanol proof, but I’ll keep paying a dollar a gallon more (if necessary) for ethanol free gas, as long as I can get it.  

• Like 1